Need to project a hexagonal pattern on a sphere

I need to project and unwrap a hexagonal pattern on a sphere. First of all I can’t find such pattern, and secondly, I 'm confused how to make that pattern myself.
And thirdly, I need help to make it look like umm real like having bumps…similar to a football/soccerball.
Any idea?

In Cycles.

Mods: Apologies if inappropriate for this section.

You got it wrong, I didnt ask to model a soccer-ball. Neither the pattern on it are hexagons, they are pentagon, nor the way an hexagon can be selected as the author showed to select pentagon because every 6 triangle makes a hexagon there.

I need to project and unwrap a hexagonal pattern on a sphere. First of all I can’t find such pattern, and secondly, I 'm confused how to make that pattern myself.
Can you be clearer what you want. You say you can’t find such a pattern. If you can’t find one it’s pretty difficult for anyone else to find it if they don’t know what they are looking for. Are you looking for a texture pattern or a modelled pattern, is it seamless across the whole sphere or just part of the sphere

Not relevant.
Deleted

However this might be - see answer 4 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/749264/covering-earth-with-hexagonal-map-tiles

There are the platonic solids that can play with. Activate the AddOn and try out the shapes.

I need a simple sphere that is made by hexagones. It’ll be good if the hexagons can look like real net instead of pasted material.
There are so many hexagonal texture pattern but not for a sphere- so using them, results in strange looking distorted hexagonal shapes on the sphere. When I project from view of a sphere, I guess I need a dome shaped texture to actually match the sphere.

Please give us something visual or be VERY specific. how many hexagons per hemisphere? Can it have a mix of hexagons and pentagons?

FYI: hexagons tessellate well over planar surfaces but not so well over curved 3D shapes. That is why soccer balls are comprised of regular hexagonal AND regular pentagonal shapes.

So please, be specific and realistic. Give us a reference.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Modeling/Geodesic_Domes

I’ve no reference, because i thought it myself, but yeah if only hexagons can’t cover a sphere, then we will need some pentagons unfortunately…that can be done in icosphere i guess?

looks nice :slight_smile: