needs that little something

hey, i was just playing around with the bump map and i wanted to make this

but all i got was this:

are there any ways of making mine look a lot like the target?
thanks

That image in the link uses SSAO and possibly some light glow, you need a custom 2D filter to do that in the BGE.

… ooooor you could bake it :wink:

The difference is in how the light is simulated. Mirrors Edge simulated radiosity, therefor did of lot of the lighting by bouncing lights off of walls, bleeding the colors around the scene. The second part would be the ambient occlusion, that gives the soft darkness around objects.

You don’t need a special 2D filter for this, unless you want it calculated in realtime. Instead you could bake it. If your not aware, I recommend looking up how to attach multiple UVs to a single object. That would allow you to keep your UV textures you have now the same, and then apply another texture (we can call that a light map) to a different UV layout.

The different UV layout I am talking about is called “light pack”. Its one of the options when UVing. It was created to maximize textures space for baking lighting.

Then go ahead and bake to a new “lightmap” texture!

Mirrors edge is very bright if you look at it. I’ve never played it but from screens/vids I’ve seen I don’t recall a dark spot.

So, if you bake your ambient occlusion to textures make sure on your material you add some ‘emit’ (shaders panel). That should hopefully make it so each face emits a bit of light so its all nice and bright :slight_smile:

Oh, and mirrors edge is really clean, so don’t use dirty textures.

also, a specular map would not hurt!

ok, i tried all your ideas, and baking isnt really working becouse then i cant have moving lights and stuff.
so ill skip on that:

where can i find this filter??

and how do specular maps work??

take in mind this is for the bge.
thanks, ionee

even if you have movin light , an ambient oc would not hurt, just to define the edges!

no that doesnt work, since i made the texture so it uses as little a possible.
so, floors are used more than once and some uv layouts over lap others.
is there another way?

look up multiple uv’s :wink:

It has been said (not by me), but i’ll say it again.

Don’t use dirty textures, right, so the wall texture looks dirty. Change the texture ‘map to’ to no RGB and change the texture colour to white.

hope that helps.

The normal map appears to be working incorrectly, there should be a shadow under each brick not above it. maybe the lamps are to low?

OTO has some good radiosity tutorials, but you could follow any tut on lighting just to get the dark corners.

another one:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=144065

Here’s a radio bake test I made following the tutorial in the blender 2.3 guide book.

I also posted little a stencil map example on this thread
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=158357

Hope that helps a little :slight_smile:

I was also thinking that you could paint black lines in all the corners using texture paint,
then blur the texture in gimp… It might be kinda tedious though.

thanks, i tried a fake ao tutorial, and here is what i got:

its still missing something, looks nothing like the pic.

@Phillb thanks for the help, and is there a free pdf of this 2.3 book?
and is there a link to the oto tutorial, thanks

That looks a little to dark maybe

The 2.3 guide is a $12 download from the blender store, even though its kind of outdated.
I bought the book from amazon 3 years ago lol.

But there’s also Radiosity Information in the Blender wiki, and here’s OTO’s tutorial that’s pretty good.

Some things they don’t tell you:

• Unwrap your lowpoly scene before radiositing.
  • Do the radiosity thing.
  • DONT remove doubles because you want the highest quality. if anything change the setting for the best quality output.
  • Move any lamps to hidden layer.
  • Bake the high poly new mesh (Full Render) to a texture.
  • Apply the texture to your original mesh.
  • voilà tout!

Looks good accept that there is way to much contrast on the radiosity. Nice work so far :slight_smile:

You can get free copies of the 2.3 manual in html format at blender.org. They’re on the documentation page here:
http://www.blender.org/download/documentation/

Direct links:
volume 1 - http://download.blender.org/documentation/BlenderManualIen.23.html.tar.gz
volume 2 - http://download.blender.org/documentation/BlenderManualIIen.23.html.tar.gz

I’d personally use the blender wiki instead, though.

.tar.gz???
i could open .gz but whats this tar.
can i get a simpler version?
thanks anyway.

I think you can open tar.gz with winrar, if you use windows. Linux and Mac OS X has built in features to extract this.

My advice is to study also the shape of the textures: in Mirror Edge are realistic and more fractal, problably taken from a real painted concrete wall and then rectified in Photoshop (read GIMP). Also your brick texture is wrongly drawn and this can be a problem (if you build an house like this would be ruins in no-time).
Adding multiple textures to the roughness of the wall can give a sense of less platic and fake wall. When I look to mirror edge picture I can’t see repeating the pattern and I see it immediatly in your picture.
You could take some picture with your camera to real walls and see what is wrong and how they look at different zoom. Probably the Mirror Edge texture is a 20x zoom of some part of a single brick or a desaturation of a whole wall.

To light up the material I will play with the shadows properties first to make the shadows less dark and extended and maybe I would change the colors of Shadows and Textures to bright ones.

All the other advice about emit and so on worth a try. As you said you need a little something I am trying to give you the little details solution instead of giving you advice to made you re-model your scene from the top.
Hope this helps.

There is nothing complicated about tarballs. .tar.gz (gzipped tarball) is a standard compressed archive format, widely used on Unix and Unix-like operating systems. If you are using Windows, you will need to download an archival/extraction program to untar it.

There are plenty of free programs for Windows which support gzipped tarballs. I would highly recommend 7zip to you. Once you install 7zip, you won’t be able to remember how you got along without it for so long. It’s free and open source. http://www.7-zip.org/

If for some reason you cannot go to the two minutes of trouble to download and install such a useful and free program, then I would recommend that you purchase the .pdf downloadable available from the Blender e-shop. It will work with programs that you already have installed on your computer.

hang on, iv already opend it in 7zip but theres a load of .htmls all over the place.
im not sure if this is meant to happen?