Network Rendering

How exactly can I use network rendering in Blender?

Is there Linux support?

I have just set up network rendering on two linux machines using “Drqueue” and it seems to be working well. Be warned, that there is very little information on how to install and setup the software. After two days of trial and error I have finally set it up the way I want it. Another option is to download the Nitrox python scripts. I also attempted to setup network rendering using Nitrox but with little success…maybe with a little more effort? Having looked at both I would recommend Drqueue for now, it seems to give the user more control over the render jobs.

Would there be a way to do it in windoze? I have 2 machines and a network set up so that would be grand.

Right now I do my big renders on the “non internet & nonsense” puter with the blender file renderer, which works nice… even when it uses files over the network and saves the output through the network as well. But if blender could really utilise the power of both systems simultaneously… wowee

I would like to know If I have a spare windows server 2003 computer, and a linux box (where blender is located and is being used to model) I’d like to send/share a job with the 2k3 server box, as my latest renders are horridly slow.

Everything is networked on a 10/100 network. What should I use and will it even work over two different types of systems?

Spending a few days mucking around with network rendering does not make me an expert, but I’ll pretend for a moment. Drqueue will only work on Linux and Irix OSes. Nitrox should work on any system. It does say it is OS independent on its’ blender project page. The problem that I had with Nitrox was I could not run a server and a client on the same computer which means that on a network with 2 computers you could only use one…kinda defeats the purpose. I’m sure that this is not the way it is designed and there must be some way to set it up running both the server and client on one computer.

As a postcript, Drqueue renders individual frames not portions of frames, so the advantage is for animations. I’m not sure whether Nitrox can distribute portions of an individual frame to multiple computers, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the info, I’ll look into it!!

Very helpful.

For Windows, Linux, Solaris x86, or OSX you can use the renderd/broker program. I have compliled it on all except OSX. I think that Bischofftep has it compiled on OSX. For the first three OS s Renderd/Broker will all talk to each other.
You can download the first three from:
http://www.crosscannon.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=1

Dinklebrow.

I noticed that nitrox is capable of sending render jobs out across the internet… I wonder how much it would take to set up an internet-wide renderfarm with possibly hundreds (thousands?) of computers on it. I’m aware there’d certainly be some logistics to work out, such as mediating how many computers work on a job at once, and setting up a centralized broker / file storage system, but think of how useful it could be to everyone! Instead of setting up a piddly 3 or 4 node render farm, you would have the resources of hundreds of computers.

Comments? Ideas?

I noticed that nitrox is capable of sending render jobs out across the internet… I wonder how much it would take to set up an internet-wide renderfarm with possibly hundreds (thousands?) of computers on it. I’m aware there’d certainly be some logistics to work out, such as mediating how many computers work on a job at once, and setting up a centralized broker / file storage system, but think of how useful it could be to everyone! Instead of setting up a piddly 3 or 4 node render farm, you would have the resources of hundreds of computers.

Comments? Ideas?

This would be awesome… Kinda like bittorrent but for blender’s renders. What about a name? Blenderworld!

This is a great idea… I’m for it.

Harnak

Maybe am idle render, along the lines of seti@home