I’m working on a new update to the “new multiplayer add-on for BGE”. The original add-on was a fun experiment, but severely limited in what could be achieved. The limitations included:
- No central server authority - connections cannot be prevented, nor interest management, nor central state (preventing desync).
- No fine-grained control of individual properties
- Forced to use properties to invoke events, for all clients
- Lack of role-information to add additional control over data & function transmission.
- Weak notion of connected clients/
- Large data size (using JSON).
- Poor extensibility due to monolithic facade-like plugins.
And so the list continues. The new version of the add-on leverages my network libraries(http://github.com/agoose77/PyAuthServer/) which fully supports scripting of network objects, and address the problems above!
Version 2.0+ of this addon offered much more power, but was error-prone and confusing. The new addon will offer a more sensible API and better performance.
[old] Read here for an installation guide
If all works successfully, there will be a new option in the scene properties at the bottom for networking. Otherwise, check the console window (Windows: Window/Toggle System Console, Linux /MacOSX requires launching from terminal).
- You will need to manually create a network_data folder in the same directory as your working blend file. This is for a number of practicality reasons.
- This is an early release, so expect bugs, and report them, ideally with blend files and a brief description of what you’re trying to do, and what you did to produce the issue. Use the Addon-> Report bug button.
There will be a growing number of tutorial videos on using this system here