New 2.8 UI is annoying

Thank you! (Hmm, doesn’t seem to work, though. Bugged in 2.8?)

Can I use this thread to ask another question? It appears as if my 3D cursor has a rotation applied to it, even after I reset it back to the origin (shift-s). How do I reset that rotation? In the properties for the cursor, there’s an orientation option where you can set it to “none”, yet the rotation in the viewport stays the same.

Perhaps it’s only for show, though, because when I add a new cube, it has the position, but not the orientation.

That might just be a tiny bug. From what I’ve seen, when you set the 3D cursor to an empty space, up to and including resetting it to origin, it’ll behave like it did in previous versions of Blender, even though it still keeps the rotation it took when you previously assigned it a surface.

Simply use the View choice, change your view to Top view and do a left click.
Or use Geometry choice and do a left click on a face oriented like top view.
Then, choose None orientation.

Rotation of 3D Cursor should be added in 3DCursor panel in N column. Probably , Shift S menu and other things are waiting to be upgraded to refer to 3D cursor orientation, too.

There is a patch waiting for review to allow to use 3D cursor orientation when adding objects as a user preference.
https://developer.blender.org/D3601

3D Cursor can also be used as a transform orientation.

1 Like

Hello!

I think the Pie Menu is currently bugged. (Pie Menu:3D Viewport Pie Menus)

• The Add-on itself is disabled, but the pie menu still appears when I press “Shift+S” for example.
    Screenshot: http://puu.sh/C4rwC/583fc8f3ba.jpg

• Moreover the Ctrl+Tab hotkey just isn’t working recently. I had no problems with it with 1-2 versions
    before. It doesn’t bring up the Face-Edge-Vertices switch menu, but the Pie Menu instead, whereas the
    add-on for it is disabled.
    Screenshot: http://puu.sh/C1OiJ/6b12ddc87b.jpg

• In the following cases (Ctrl+Tab, Shift+S) the Pie Menu pops up, when the add-ons are disabled.
    Another problem I ran into was when i switched the keyboard layout to 27X and restarted blender, it
    switched back to the 2.8 keyboard layout.

• The highlighting with “A” seems to get stuck sometimes in the 27X keyboard layout. It highlights the
    object on the first press and nothing happens on the second. I have to quikly double tap “A” to deselect.
    It happens rather rarely though, which is interesting because it worked perfectly before.

Pie menus are not bugged.
Devs wanted to try to add some pie menus to default keymap configuration.

1 shortcut for Select All and another one for Deselect all.
Use of keymaps to enter in select modes (1 for vertex select mode, 2 for edges and 3 for faces) was a request about something standards in other software that is experimented.
So, Ctrl Tab was freed and remapped to mode switch instead of adding a pie menu to Tab.

No bug. Just a new default keymap configuration.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I have to say i agree with most of the first post…

but…

what do comp engineers want ? have fun with new cool things
what do users want ? use software fluidly for creating things

both are incompatible !
it’s just like if car builders would change the wheel position inside the backward wallet because it’s good for drivers security if they hit a wall…

nevertheless i’m more worried about those things that are completely disappearing ( like the ability to bake displacement ) than with the uses i have with 2.79, and that i loose with 2.8.

ah and yes the new icons set is not only ugly… it’s vomitive :stuck_out_tongue:
while pie things are just useless ( thins is the king of new cool things developpers love :stuck_out_tongue: )

I understand your initial anger. I also had some trouble with the many drastical changes from 2.79 to 2.8. But if you hang in there and work with the new UI you start realizing that a lot of the changes are for the better, it just takes time getting used to.

Here’s an article I wrote about transitioning from Blender 2.7x to 2.8. It might give you some insights.

Good luck.

2 Likes

ahah !!! A-A… hum okay…

A selects all and DBL-A deselects all…

this is a great idea !!!
Blender strenght has been built during all those years with its keyboards shortcuts and
adding the DBL-KEY feature is just a damn crazy amazing feature!!!
It’s just almost impossible to discover this on your own ( whom on this planet DBL-tap on a key ? :wink: ) if you didn’t read it somewhere.

i red one line on your article and i already love the DBL-A !!!

i think i’ll bookmark your page and read it again and again :stuck_out_tongue:
thanks a bunch for it !

1 Like

That particular change is something I’ll be changing back, because it’s actually pretty terrible.

First off, as was mentioned previously, you use deselect all far more often than you select all.

Secondly, and I’m not sure I’ve seen this one mentioned, but double-presses are horrendously unreliable in laggy scenes.
Editing a high-poly mesh? Sorry, deselect all just stops working…

4 Likes

you’re true antaioz ^^
i’m discovering the sloth of 2.8 compared to 2.79 even in ‘flat gray shading’.

my blender freezes often and is not responding…

even on a stoopid UI button click for opening options.

looks like Blender team is sponsored by intel-semi for makin us buy quantic computers ? XD lmao…

still talking about UI…
and it is an important point to me,
the 3D handles ( translate/rotate ) are not visible anymore !!!

this is just a NO GO !!!
how to edit a 3D mesh without 3D tools ?
ye of course, some unfaithfull ppl could answer that you still can enter cartesian coords by hand ^^
rofl !!!

i’m just understanding 2.8 is far from mature, even for simple uses like 3D mesh editing.

2.79 is just perfect to me !!!
it does EVERYTHING i need ( and i’m somewhat greedy ) except for AO node that cannot be simply parameterized…

lemme get back to 2.79b ( for a long time i guess as, my <> in 2.8 is…
painfull and unsatisfying ^^ )

now i think i’ll replace my “happy blending” with “happy 2.79” :stuck_out_tongue:

so…

happy 2.79 :slight_smile:

EDIT: ooooookay i was totally wrong !!!
3D handles still exist but not in ‘selection mode’ ( tho before, when you were selecting faces or verts, you always saw the 3D handles )…
you HAVE TO BE in move mode ( or transform mode )…

Which is a huge limitation…

1 Like

hmmm at least it is a change ^^
a lil comparison ?
you drive your car. You can accelerate or brake…
a kid runs in front of you. open the car control interface, enable the break mode ( hear noises and shouts ) look back on the road you’re running, the brake…
yes :)) at least it’s a change :stuck_out_tongue:

am just talking about straightforward behaviour, nothin more ^^

Some changes are good, some are weird, like recent collection visibility button in viewport (I thought outliner was good enough for it).

IMO UI devs sometimes are trying to fix things that were never broken, and they are breaking those things instead. Monochrome icons is good example. It is not a big deal for user if he has colored icons. Colored icons in blender had good readability, but, they removed colors and outlines, following some weird UI/UX theories. They removed outlines, now they have a pain how to fit icons in various themes, because icons are not isolated from backgrounds anymore. They removed colors and now they add colors back, but in more complicated way.

Although hotkeys are not UI, but they were metioned here. What’s the benefit of removing 90% of hotkeys from default keymap? To add my own hotkey I have to check, if combo is free, find binding function in settings and set a combo by myself. And what happens in next 5 minutes? I forget that combo. And I don’t have any manuals where I can search this combo, and google won’t help me, because it is my custom unique hotkey combo. So I develop a habit to not to use hotkeys, but to rely on buttons and menus.

1 Like

I absolutely love the beejeezus out of the new interface. I’ve used Blender for years but never used it often enough to get good (or fast) with the damn shortcuts and goofy layout. I used the fork, ‘Blenderforartists’ for awhile and made serious headway.
Now with this nifty new UI I’m flying along without having to tape a page with reminders and shortcuts to my monitor. I’ll bet my next paycheck that this new look will bring in a LOT of new users.
Keep up the great work devs! …and thanks!

4 Likes

And with new select mode, having Release Confirms enabled by default and with LMB selection in pencil tip you will commit hundreds of accidental movements without even you have noticed on time… Good luck with it!

1 Like

How do you get to do accidental stuff like that? I have been using exact this mode (w my tablet) since Rome fell, and never moved anything accidentally.

Can you please explain how you do that? Did you try it for real to enjoy that mode or did you hated it instantly ?

Sorry for the little bit of exaggeration.

By the way, do you enable Release confirmams from User Preferences in 2.7 *?

2 Likes

You definitely should not work while under the influence of psychoactive substances. :smiley:

2 Likes