New appleseed 2.0.0-beta released

(chrleon) #21

Hey @wondrs, that car is very nice. I’m super interested in how you did those headlights. Is that a shader or physical modelling? The cell-effect is very nice.

(Jakub Vondra) #22

Hey! It’s just glass shader with bump map, and there is a lightbulb with emissive material behind :slight_smile:
The bump looks like this:
Capture

(chrleon) #23

Thanks! Been wondering about how to make these in flashlight and headlight textures. Thanks!

(jdent02) #24

Hey all here. There’s a new C++ based mesh exporter I’m working on for appleseed. It’s still in testing but I’m seeing an up to 10x improvement in export speeds. Expect a point release in the next week or so with this new exporter. It’ll likely be listed as an experimental feature at first.

I can’t thank BYOB enough for the tips he posted earlier in this thread.

(LuxCore Addon Developer) #25

No problem.
By the way, could you point me to the C++ part of your new export code? I can’t find it.
I’d like to find out why my LuxCore addon does not use custom normals, and since you said you got it to work in the devtalk thread, it would be great to see your code.

(Leonard Siebeneicher) #26

Thank you for your efforts.

I follow Appleseed for a while. Playing with SPPM / simple glass still-lifes. Its much fun.

(Romanji) #27

Awesome. Nice to hear that this problem might be fixed in the near future.

(jdent02) #28

The exporter itself is at:

Hasn’t been merged into appleseed master yet

The trick is running the following on the mesh object before sending it to the exporter:

me.calc_normals()
me.split_faces()
me.calc_tessface()

I’m not sure if this works with custom normal data, but it does reflect auto smooth settings and manually selected smooth/flat faces in edit mode.

(numen22) #29

Short comment. In our forum we have some information about the usage of Stochastic Progressive Photon Mapping which may be of interest to you:

or the BlenderDiplom tutorial from Gottfried Hofmann: Rendering Caustics in Blender with appleseed