NEW: Battletech mini game version 0.30

I’m still working on my battletech / mechwarrior game.

So far I’ve finished the instant action mode of the game.
You can jump in your giant robot and fight against a fairly intelligent AI.
Try to rack up a god score, if you survive. :slight_smile:

If you try it, please post some feedback, I always take suggestions on board.

You can download the game here:

Please read the READ_ME file in the folder for information about tactics, controls and future plans for the game.

The Blend is available here:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5lYMabaIIFKMDZmZmJhMDctMTc1ZC00ZTViLWI5O WYtNzBmYjcwMTMwNTRh&hl=en_US

Please help me to make runtimes for other operating systems, as I only have access to Windows Vista.

UPDATE:
VERSION 0.30

here’s the latest version with 4 worlds to choose from as well as some fixes and improvements as suggested by players:

You can download the game here:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5lYMabaIIFKMGZiMGUxZWYtNGMyYy00OGMzLThhY jUtMzlhYTcyN2I3MDRh&hl=en_US

I will be posting the new blend soon.

Download link doesn’t work for me, can you upload on some other service please.
Videos looks really promising.

Holy crap! This is amazing, great job! Definitely one of the most polished blender games I’ve seen. My suggestion would be to polish the graphics and capitalize on your hard work.

Here are some suggestions;

-Give more art direction to the environment, its just a plain field right now, you can make it look more interesting. Throw in some props, buildings, ect.

-The HUD is a little clustered, I would suggest merging some of the hud elements into the mech itself. For example, put the radar onto one of the screens. Same with the health. It would give it a much more interesting and modern look.

-The main menu could use a lot of work, make it more appealing. Change the font. Create a logo.

-Right now the view is very limited,. You can counter this by giving the player the ability to move the camera independent of the mech (ie, look around the cockpit, perhaps through other windows, while at the same time, pilot the mech). I think this would also raise the immersion factor.

-Whats a mech game without destructible buildings? :wink:

Hit me up with a pm if you want my help (I’l provide my portfolio). Cheers!

Thanks for trying, what’s the problem with the link exactly, I’ve tried lots of hosting services and found that one to be one of the best in terms of availability and lack of waiting time.

Maybe someone else can suggest a good blender themed hosting site? If so, I’ll put it there.

I also want to make the Blend available, 1. so that people with other operating systems can help me compile some alternative runtimes, and 2. so that people can root through it ans see if there’s anything useful in there.

and @ redteam_spartan
I’m looking for help with menus, logos and interface, It’s not really my area. Also any low poly outdoor type stuff would be gratefully added.
You can visit a small town in the game, if you head away from the main area of fighting.

Larger towns will be added soon. The AI for dealing with them is already written and integrated, but just didn’t get used in this release.
I wanted to integrate the HUD in to the cockpit, but there are over 20 different cockpit designs, so it couldn’t be done in this project.
Next project for sure. :slight_smile:

If anyone has trouble getting it to work, please post your reports here.
p.s. I’m using blender 2.49, with texture face materials.

false alarm, I tried later and it worked. Now downloading.

I personally recommend Dropbox. It provides download with direct link, without opening extra pages with banners, countdown and stuff.

And blender themed:
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/

Battletech eh? I loved those games. I’ll download, and give you a good review. Thanks for the effort!

Hmm, can’t find the file on the site, could you post on Google Docs or something please?

oops i downloaded it, just to see, it is an .exe file!!! (stupid me…)
I looks very nice, i would like to test it, if you’re ready with the blends, i could make you an linux runtime…
Keep gooing on :yes:

Blend is available in the first post. Please feel free to dig around in there for resources and if you can, please help me to make runtimes for other operating systems.

Looks great. I’ll try it tomorrow…

Yup, great game!
Congratulations! I played it once, well, it’s a bit difficult to know what’s going on (or how to go about), you need a tutorial to show how the robots work, how to change weapons, and all. Do you have a 3rd view camera? Why not put that as default?
In any case, it’s great, keep it up!

Thanks all,
@@torakunsamaThere’s no plans to add a third person cam at the moment, though there will be some third person cutscenes.

There’s a READ_ME file which gives some info, but I may do a tutorial too later on.

This looks amazing!
Good job with the AI. I also think a tutorial would be nice to show what makes the AI tick.

PS:
Are you taking any mech requests?
I think a Hollander II would be great for a ~3052 campaign.
I think you’d make a very good model of it.

Very Very good start. I like it a lot.
As has been said, a help menu thing would be good. I figured out how to fire and change weapons, but the walking and looking in different directions is a bit off-putting. I still haven’t figured the movement properly out.

I would recommend to change these things to make the game easier:

if one turns the body of the mech with w,s,a,d, the legs sshould automatical turn to the bodys direction, maybe after some time, not immediatly, would be nice to have this feature to switch on/off. Or even make it only availlable if the mechs health is on a certain level, not if it almost dead.

Also i think, that some weapons should have multiple shots, not only one- maybe the laser have 3 or five shots until it needs to be reloaded, while the rockets shot like they do already, multiple rockets at once.

A missile would be nice, wich always hits the target by tracking it—

This are just ideas, its up to you, how you want to the concept of the game-

I tried to make a runtime in ubuntu, but the terminal complains “no module named math”.
Then copied the python 2.6 folder into the root of the runtime, with no success. Can someone tell me, what has to be copied into the root folder?

There are plenty of files, which are not packed into the blend:

Image "cockpit.png" /d/new project/buildings/military/final/cockpit.png 
Image "flat.png" /d/new project/buildings/military/final/flat.png 
Image "normal.bmp" /d/new project/buildings/military/final/normal.bmp 
Image "rust.png" /d/new project/buildings/military/final/rust.png 
Image "shine.png" /d/new project/buildings/military/final/shine.png 
Sound "ac10.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/ac-10-auto.wav 
Sound "ac20.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/ac20.wav 
Sound "ac5.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/ac-5-auto.wav 
Sound "bomb_drop.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/bomb_drop.wav 
Sound "building.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/building.wav 
Sound "button_click.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/button_click.wav 
Sound "chopper.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/Helicopter_new2.wav 
Sound "com_1" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/com_noise_1.wav 
Sound "com_2" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/com_noise_2.wav 
Sound "com_3" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/com_noise_3.wav 
Sound "critical_damage.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/voice/critical_damage.wav 
Sound "deep_engine.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/deep_engine.wav 
Sound "engine.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/engine.wav 
Sound "flamer_ignite.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/flamer_ignite.wav 
Sound "foot_heavy" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/light_foot3.wav 
Sound "foot_light" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/foot_light.wav 
Sound "foot_medium" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/light_foot.wav 
Sound "gas_release.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/gas_release.wav 
Sound "gauss.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/gauss.wav 
Sound "ground_hit.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/ground_hit.wav 
Sound "heat_alert.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/heat_alert.wav 
Sound "hit_critical" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/hit_critical.wav 
Sound "hit_death" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/hit_death.wav 
Sound "hit_explode.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/hit_explode.wav 
Sound "hit_light.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/hit_light.wav 
Sound "hit_massive.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/bomb_explode.wav 
Sound "hit_medium.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/hit_medium.wav 
Sound "hit_missile.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/hit_missile.wav 
Sound "jet_engine.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/jet_engine.wav 
Sound "JJets" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/flame_burn.wav 
Sound "large_laser.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/large_laser.wav 
Sound "lbx_ac.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/lbx_ac.wav 
Sound "lightamp.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/lightamp.wav 
Sound "lock_on.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/lock_on.wav 
Sound "lrm_missile.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/lrm_missile.wav 
Sound "medium_laser.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/medium_laser.wav 
Sound "mg.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/mg_2.wav 
Sound "missile_warning.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/missile_warning3.wav 
Sound "nav_beep.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/nav_beep.wav 
Sound "ppc.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/ppc_new.wav 
Sound "ppc_hit.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/ppc_hit_new.wav 
Sound "radar_bleep.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/radar_bleep.wav 
Sound "reload_laser.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/reload_laser.wav 
Sound "reload_projectile.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/reload_projectile.wav 
Sound "servo.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/servo_heavy.wav 
Sound "small_laser.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/small_laser.wav 
Sound "srm_missile.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/srm_missile.wav 
Sound "steam-release.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/steam-release.wav 
Sound "storm_sound.wav" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/storm_sound.wav 
Sound "vehicle" /c/battletech_game/2011_version/sounds/hovercraft.wav 

I would highly recommend to use the module mode instead of a simple script of over 7000 (!) lines,
this will make it easier to programm, and could even fasten up the game…

but: its a really cool game so far, i’m shure this will become even much better!!!

I tried to make a runtime in ubuntu, but the terminal complains “no module named math”.
Then copied the python 2.6 folder into the root of the runtime, with no success. Can someone tell me, what has to be copied into the root folder?

There are plenty of files, which are not packed into the blend:
Thanks, I’m sure I checked pack files before I saved it, maybe I have to check it again, to update.
I do actually use module mode, in that script there are many modules, for example, where it says

def ai_chooser():

That is the beginning of the AI target selection and behaviour module/function, which uses some other functions that are shared with other modules in the script.
When I get better at programming I may write some class types rather than function, as they may be easier to run and understand.

Also i think, that some weapons should have multiple shots, not only one- maybe the laser have 3 or five shots until it needs to be reloaded, while the rockets shot like they do already, multiple rockets at once.

A missile would be nice, wich always hits the target by tracking it—

Pulse lasers and homing missiles are in the game, but I’m saving them for later. Such advanced weapon systems will be given as rewards during the story mode, what you currently see in game are the basic models, with outdated equipment.

I’m working on the next update right now which is nearly finished, that should fix some bugs as well as add 4 world types for the player to fight in.

I’ll post the updated runtime as well as the new blend once it’s ready.

Just curious, will there be some way for people to customize mechs in later versions? (like in Mechwarrior 3 and 4)

Just curious, will there be some way for people to customize mechs in later versions? (like in Mechwarrior 3 and 4)

Yep, later there will be a mech lab where you can modify your mech.

At first I’m going to handle it as upgrades, where you can replace your standard weapons and equipment with improved (lostTech) gear. Later there will be a full mech lab where you can modify your mech completely.

How is the progress on this game going?