new build advice please guys /girls

Hi guys i am currently in the process of building a new system
its main purpose will be blender

i trained as an it engineer in 2003 but honestly have very little knowledge that seems to be
relivent anymore

i have to build this rig over a period of time as i simply cannot afford to buy everything all at once
and with tech moving on so quikly i am scared im going to create a lemon of a pc build

my budget is is around 1000-1300

i do not want to have to upgrade for a while afterwards
i realize my budget is realy going to be an issue here but i was just wondering if any of you guys have
any suggestions

i have read at least 30 reviews on the amd bulldozer and i have to say i realy would preffer an i7

my build so far is as follows errrrrr case lol 60 pound this comes with a cheapo 800 watt psu whih i will replace

ok so i want 32 gb ddr3
2x gpu
i7
very basic ssd maybe 64 gb
500-1tb gb sata hdd

i dont need monitors

Hi, I would start with an i7.
The HD 4000 GPU chip in i7 work very well for blender until a few million polys.
32 GB is way to much, get 16 GB but 2x 8, you can extend later if needed.
120 GB fast SSD is about 100 € today and it is enough for system and all software you need.
SATA only for backup and maybe video files and so forth.
I have a 60 GB SSD and a 250 GB SATA, works very well but I am on linux and need less system space as windows.
The crappy 800 PSU is ok for this.
Start working. :slight_smile:
Later you can get a GTX 670 4 GB for cycles.
The crappy 800 PSU is ok for this.
More later add a second GTX 670 or even a Geforce Titan.
The crappy 800 PSU is not ok for this.

Cheers, mib.
P.S. A i7 is faster than my GTX 550Ti 2 GB DDR 5 card.
You have to go for a GTX 660 at least and you are limited at 2 GB VRAM for all time.

just a quik mock up to make sure i am not matching up incomptible hardware

gtx 670 £261
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail [BX80637I73770K] £260

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00CEU)
£60

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard [GA-Z68AP-D3] £80

Akasa AK-CC4008HP01 Venom Voodoo CPU Cooler (Socket 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / FM1 / FM2) £45

Crucial M4 64GB mSATA Solid State Drive - (CT064M4SSD3) £55

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM (WD5000AAKX) £50

Hi, if the 670 is a 4 GB card system look very well and fast.
The Crucial M4 writes very slow, 95MB/s, latest SSDs write 400-500MB/s.
For example: http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-vertex-3-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html
It is only a few pounds pricier at 60 GB.

Cheers, mib.

Just for the record, “very slow” is a relative term.
The performance difference between various state of the art SSDs is not noticed by an regular enduser.
It’s a marketing hype. You will not notice if loading or writing a 1mb file takes 0.00001s or 0.000009s :wink:

It’s something where huge databases or server applications have a noticable difference… not your average box under the table.

Personally I’d recommend either an Intel or Samsung SSD.
Both have a good performance for all operation modes and good controllers with reasonable pricing.

You will not notice if loading or writing a 1mb file takes 0.00001s or 0.000009s

No, but i notice it often copying bigger files like GB ISO´s, movie files and so forth.
It make no sense to buy a slower disk for the same prize as a faster one. :slight_smile:
No problems so far with my OCZ last 2 years.
Was only a hint for mr_starfire.

Cheers, mib.

I guess it depends on your way of using a SSD.
For me it is important that it has a fast random R/W to load up programs and OS’s fast and good NAND.
I see no reason why I would want to copy movies or games to an SSD. Huge files go to a MO-datatank in my daily usage.

It make no sense to buy a slower disk for the same prize as a faster one. :slight_smile:

Depends on what you’re after. Equality in size does not mean equality in the controller and the NAND.
If a drive is slower, with the same price and storage, you can assume that either it has a better controller, or SLC instead of MLC NAND.

And personally I especially dislike OCZ for their viral marketing, paying fake users to write bad reviews for other SSDs, which surfaced last year… but in any case, the crucial m4 doesn’t really have a good reputation overall.

So either way, mib and I are on different pages, but in the same book: don’t get it. :smiley:

Depending on how long you’re going to spread this buy over (measured in months or years) I’d buy in the following order:

• case
  • power supply
  • peripherals (keyboard, mouse, etc.)
  • hard drives, SSDs
  • motherboard
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • video card

The reasoning behind all this:

• case technology changes least over time
  • power supply technology isn’t changing much (if at all) either
  • drives, especially if you go the old-fashioned spindle route, may get slightly faster in the next while, but not enough so you’ll notice a difference in day-to-day stuff like Blender
  • the motherboard and CPU should be bought relatively close together. Not a lot is going on in CPU development and it looks like the i7 is going to be around for a while longer.
  • RAM may or may not be changing, but chances are it’s not going to change much… at least, not soon
  • video cards are the wild card at this point in time. Seems nVidia is having trouble besting their 500 series and should, by rights, keep the 500 line going until they get the 600 series kicked into shape. If you watch such sites as PassMark you’ll get a reasonably good idea of how video cards stack up against each other in a general sense.