New character in progress

last update

Hello Blender community, ive been away from 3d for a while, but have been going in to this character for about 3 weeks now, and even tho i got lots more to do, i thought i would just show a little peek into what im doing.

Her hair is just a mockup in what style i want, this is still the old system and I want to try out the new one, just havent had the time yet,

as usual i sculpt in zbrush, and everything else in blender. All tho this is sculpted from my basemesh I have created for my characters. so not from a ball ( thankfully ) this time.

anyways cheers

19 Likes

3 Likes

Good to see you again!

I’ll be keeping my eye on this :smiley:

1 Like

Strangly this is not looking weird… although it still looks strange… and this sounds weird… :crazy_face:
…
now i got it… she looks already alive…

1 Like

Hey :slight_smile: ye been awhile, looking forward for your feedback aswell :slight_smile:

Haha :slight_smile: long way to go still :slight_smile:

Hey dude i forgot you, yeah you are the guy that made a similar girl character a long time ago, love your work keep it up!

Nice to see another character by you. She looks pretty good, just needs her finalized hair.

2 Likes

Ahh Sarah’s sister…

1 Like

Hey mate, thx :slight_smile: well knowing me , im gonna do alot of changes, but ye the hair is on thing that will take some time, trying to learn the new system. :slight_smile:

well… I did not work on the hair I should, but instead im trying out a new skin texture setup, getting pretty happy with it actually…

AND ofc i did some chances to her face, i was just goning to chance some proportions and well ended up changing alot.

So now i think the skin looks ok, so the hair, eyes, eyebrowns, and clothing are left, then rigging and posing… well if i dont change her agien that is … :smiley:

hope u like the changes, but ye the skin and some form changes was the primary for now… cheers

6 Likes

Whish I was at this level already :wink: Great work!

2 Likes

some little progress, did the eyebrowns with the new system, and did the hair with the old and new one… stiill alot to do with the hair, but ye, going slow… updated the model a bit and did a little progress render…
what i am going to focus on a few days now is the hair, and reflection maps, cleaning up the color map etc. then i think its close being done.

cheers hope u guys like the progress… comments are allways welcome. :slight_smile:

btw first real render started like this on this projekt

4 Likes

She’s looking good! How are you finding the new hair system? I’m yet to give it a go, but wondered what you think? Anything that is drastically better?

Thanks man :slight_smile: Well i do think u get more control, like with my eyebrowns here. But the performance is horrible while grooming if u got more then 40 000 verts.

And im not the best with geometry nodes but i miss the child options and would be cool if it would be possible to curve the curves in geo nodes. Im sure tho thats possible i just cant do it now :slight_smile:

1 Like

this is what i did to leverage this new hair system:

use the density brush and define the density of the hair (will give more even distribution than using the add brush in hair particle)

after you are done you can comb your hair a bit from there, but take into account that the hair wont deflect from the emitter, but you could use this work around is not perfect for a lot of hair but somewhat it works https://youtu.be/lUSbJSfGoFU

and then convert the hair to particles and use puff brush to fix any weird shape and to bring up more from the surface (to avoid using comb brush) and use comb brush to edit the styling again if needed…

and then setup your children interpolation settings…

1 Like

also the eyes in this render look a bit weird, the sclera is “too” white and looks like has some blueish tone on it…

and of course the skin is a bit too clean xD and the bump strength is slightly a bit much makin it look like a harsh skin…

btw is she based on a real person? she looks too beautiful to be real xD…

1 Like

so did some small updates, but still giving her more life i think, i dident lower the bump, but i redid it in the places it was sticking out, redid some shader mixing with the eyes, and overall some editing on her color map, gave her some redness on the cheeks, some makeup …

next update will have new hair, from the new system… goona studie the tutorials Michael was linking to… cheers mates.

3 Likes

She looks really good, but you need (more?) eyeliner with that dark of eyeshadow, otherwise it looks incomplete :slight_smile:

Edit: my wife looked over my shoulder and said “they might need more on the lower half of the face to match the top to balance it out”. I admittedly have no idea what that means, the lower half looks fine to me, but I can ask if you want :sweat_smile:
https://twitter.com/Dann_Sw/status/1325805169230147584?s=20&t=JtZMIw-0bT2OulUVkzBTsA

4 Likes

hey mate, ye think make up comes in different likes and times, for example my wife use eyeshadow but no eyeliner… and i kind of like it this way, but thats not to say im right, will play with it… thx mate

2 Likes