New composite filter nodes

…I like it.

Yeah, I’m for the plugin system too in both the composite nodes and material nodes.

Let people have the flexibility at the shader and composite level that is separate from the Blender core.

This would solve most problems including this one:

If people want a crazy ass node that has no practical purpose, then instead of denying them the use of such a node, give them a way so they can use it if they choose but at the same time not cluttering up the interface of those who don’t.

Just implement both in a common C-based language with a simple compiler just like the texture plugins. Then have specified directories where these nodes sit with grouping just like the Python script menu.

Just make sure that Blender doesn’t crash if a node isn’t found or has been modified to have different inputs - I hate that in Shake. It’s easily rectified in Shake as they have ascii scene descriptions but it’s still annoying.

For pure compositing purposes ‘artistic’ nodes may be of little value. They can however come in place with mograph and such. Anything that produces complex patterns can be used as long as it is able to be animated.

Artsy filters are of very little use to me, as a compositor.

What is missing from the list is a simple set Matte filter.

What I need is a way to mask inside of Blender. The simple setMatte filter by channel would go a long way in advancing the video sequencer’s ability to mimic professional compositing programs.

Yes we are the same team Keir spoken of during Sunday meeting ;).
We have investigated the possibility of implement or fix the Blender plugin system. But due to how the plugin system is built right now it would be very hard to do it correctly given the time frame we have.
But of course we are still trying to decide what is really needed for Blender(that we can do), there is always a possibility that we choose to work on the plugin system.
Thanks everyone for your feedbacks =).