new composite node request

thanks for testing this again. i have started to report bugs to the official tracker and a gamma bug i found in 2.64 has been fixed, so now that you have confirmed the same results as i am getting with the map uv, i’ll report that as well.

Looks pretty broke to me, I have reverted to using hooks on mesh mapped with images. Oh well.

Hi. it would be really good to report a bug soon since we are closing in on 2.65 release!

Could you check if this is different then 2.62?, Its possibly a regression in the rewritten sequencer.

cool, and i stripped down a .blend file today, in order to submit to the tracker, then did a final test in 2.63 and 2.64, i don’t have 2.62 anymore but would of been prepared to download and test it.

the thing is i was sure i had previously seen the black border in 2.64 but in my latest tests it’s not there. only in 2.63 so maybe the other devs have already fixed it?

there is still the issue of the very pixelated results we get from the map uv node without using some blur or subdivision workaround, so would it still be worth reporting that to the tracker?

here’s a couple of composites showing both 2.63 and 2.64.

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/200H/f/2012/328/f/d/155_by_rattyredemption-d5m1z6x.png

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs71/200H/f/2012/328/2/c/156_by_rattyredemption-d5m1zd0.png

Yes I really hope that the aliasing can be overcome. I hope that it is not like z-depth :frowning: I guess that you could oversample the project dimensions. That is blowing the source image up to match project, apply distortion then reduce the distorted image back to prefered source image size.

sorry for the delay in replying. i had reported the map uv aliasing last year to the bug tracker, and was told it’s not a bug so they won’t fix it. saying that i haven’t tested this in 2.65, i wasted so much time with the bugs in 2.64, i’ve been reluctant to try newer versions, and am still using 2.63

what is the issue/limitations with z-depth? i haven’t worked with that before.

Z values are not used for masking generally so they are not anti-aliased, there fore when you do want to split out a layer based on depth then you get a rough edge. Built that way, sadly.

understood, thanks and that sounds exactly the same issue as the map uv’s. i could do so much with these nodes if the dev’s would give us the options of interpolating the values.

this is currently the best results i’ve achieved with map uv, although it’s composite layer is a lot more blurry than i would ideally like:

http://fav.me/d5p1o4w

Seems like a good result I cannot detect aliasing. I wonder what the effect of using an oversampled UV would be? That is double or tripple the image resolution then scaled back. Perhaps that would alleviate the aliasing?

thanks and i haven’t tried the oversampling method yet, although i might do. currently i’ve been using a fast gaussian blur with a x: 4 y: 4 strength. any less than that and i’ve seen horrible aliasing and or color banding. as you can imagine that amount of blurring would not work very well with fine details and i tried other blur types like catrom, but that didn’t work as well as fast gaussian.

For less extreme distortions you could map your image/video directly on a plane with a shadeless material and render that (might need to tweak the rendering and material/texture options to avoid blurring or distorting the colors of your source material though)

Alternatively, you could perhaps sculpt a mirrored plane sitting in front of a shadeless plane with your source material (making the backface of the one with the source material fully invisible to the camera) and place the camera behind the “screen” aiming thru it at the mirror.

Hey did I mention what the border artifact is? If you turn off antialiasing in the scene render settings, then the UV stops doing an edge antialias. This was altering the UV colour values along the edge and that resulted in a very small distortion around the outside of the image. Solution is to turn off Anitaliasing value and oversample.

Rememeber to subdivide the plane a lot though to get better distortion. The real problem is that the remapping doesn’t seem to use any variable sample type or filter, so you cannot improve the mapping of the space if it is heavily distorted.

thanks a lot guys. i definitely understood tiago’s suggestions, and i think i understood 3pointedit’s. i’ll do some tests soon.

Basically there is a weird outline around the UV distorted image. It comes from the antialiasing when Blender draws the 3D image of the plane. Solution turn off the antialiasing in project settings. That doesn’t affect the render quality in the compositor anyway.

thanks and i’m pretty sure i didn’t render my uv’s with antialiasing turned on. so is this a separate issue to the rest of the aliasing issues when using map uv nodes?

Yup. Just to do with distortion around the edges, it is a corruption of the UV colors, perhaps a problem with alpha type. That is Premultiplied or not, didn’t try that…

understood, thanks.