New computer - best hardware for 2019?

Hey Fxfxd,

I was thinking an SSD for speed increase and HDD for longer term storage.
I’m currently using a 128GB SSD and a 3TB HDD and I’m running out of space! (I have some major projects that require constant backups).

Do you think the SSD and HDD is overkill? I thought that was pretty standard these days.

I didn’t use PC part builder. What is the problem with the Ryzen 2700x? It’s definitely the least powerful on my list, but that’s why it’s at the bottom.

Yes, I didn’t realise the motherboards were incompatible. Motherboards are one component I don’t have a great understand of. Can you recommend one to go with the Intel i9?
I assume the Motherbaords listed would go well with the Threadrippers? Or do you have another recommendation?

I believe I’m going to want the cuda option for my GPU. I do periodically still use Maya.

Hey Ace_Dragon,

Interesting note on the extra heat from Intel. I am moving to Queensland, Australia in a few weeks and it’s a hell of a lot hotter up there than Melbourne. Cooler is something to consider.

I think I’m fairly sold on getting Nvidia GPU. All the major 3D apps support Nvidia, and although I’m predominantly working in Blender these days, I still use Maya periodically and would like the option of other software.

I am not expert, but I want to throw in few humble points
-amd threadripper killer prosessor, which ever fastest at the moment
note. some renderers need an intel cpu and amd do not function in these chases
-md2 MD2! over 1TB ssd. 3TB?
-ram at least 64GB, 512 if you can fit it in budget because you could make stuff with that but
I dont know, like load a tv show in ram.
-psu at least 1000 w for system.
-amd’s latest gpu, just 1, but them have a good one at least that’s what I heard

I don’t think could brand matters for rendering, isn’t it only for gpus?
I am also not sure if amd is already the right choice for blender atm.

I cannot render Houdini projects with chaos group’s renderer, because of the cpu

The main features of E-Cycles:

• 1.7x to 2.4x faster rendering with CUDA without tricks, up to 4x faster with tricks see E-Cycles - Faster cuda rendering
  • 1.15x to 1.65x faster with OSL on CPU
  • about 1.15x faster with OpenCL
  • Auto-tile-size
  • Support per Email and PM
  • New features every month
  • Everything will be submitted for inclusion in master in one year, so you help make Blender better.

Just a quick comparison:

• If you put 100$ in your renderer to have it 2x faster, you spare in your case more than 2000$ today and your next upgrade, because you renderer is always 2x faster, you can again spare more than 2000$. So after 1 upgrade, you would have spared more than 4000$
  • If you put all in hardware, 5690$ in your case, you have your render as fast this time (also Cycles doesn’t scale perfectly linearly, so it will be more like 1.90x faster depending on the scene), but next time, to keep the boost, you will again need this huge budget. So it will cost again 5690$. And on top of that, as already mentioned, you must regularly switch between SLI for games and non-SLI for Cycles, I’m not sure the connectors are made for regular plug/removal and it’s cumbersome.

Total cost in hardware + software scenario : 2850+100, then 2850 = 5790 $
Total cost in hardware only scenario : 5690x2 = 11380 $

Before posting a list of parts, let me clarify some things about your questions and other members’s comments:

1. Any high-end cpu will get hot when stressed. Since you will not be using the cpu for rendering tasks, then any high core-count cpu, like the Threadrippers mentioned above, would be irrelevant and inappropriate for you. Current generation Threadrippers are also hot to operate, and usually need an AIO cooling solution to keep them cool enough. Gaming will be the task that will stress your cpu the most. A 9900K at stock speeds would run cool enough with a beefy air-cooler like the Be Quiet! I suggested (which is a dual tower high tdp cooler). Long story short: The best cpu is the one that’s best suited for OUR needs and workflow, not the one with the highest core count etc.
  2. As for the memory, yes, I suggest you start off with 2x16gb of high frequency RAM, and add a 2nd kit of the same memory dimms if needed.
  3. The 2080ti is worth it, if you can afford it. You’ll be running real time preview renders all the time. For a budget like yours, I wouldn’t compromise with a gpu with a Vram less than 11gb. The RTX gpus have also a good potential for the future, when all their special features will be absorbed by the various 3d software and rendering engines. It’s a future proof gpu line, that’s for sure (not the best vfm, I agree, but for people who can afford it, it’s the way to go).
  4. About the OS drive. If you feel uncomfortable about the Intel Optane’s price (I’m with you on that, it’s totally understandable), then go for the Samsung’s 970 Pro or Evo. Just be informed that you won’t see a distinguishable difference compared to a simple sata ssd in everyday use, except for large file transfers of course. In any other scenario they will perform almost identically with sata ssds. I would prefer a sata ssd with double the capacity for the same price. But, this is simply how I think about this. As I said before, with a high budget like yours, you can’t go wrong with picking a high end part, like the Sammy nvme drive.
  5. Last, about the monitors. It would be good if you at least mentioned the models and resolutions of your monitors. You’re spending a fortune for the tower, it would be a pity to work and see the final product of your work (or to game) on an old FHD monitor with crappy features (no offence here).

About the motherboard now. If you decide to go with the 9900K, then the compatible and appropriate motherboards would be the Z390s. The ones you mentioned are compatible with AMD’s Threadrippers. There are some things to clarify here before you make the decision. Are you sure you’re going to stay with 1 gpu in the future? Do you play games online? Beside the OS drive and the storage hdd’s, are there any other devices you wish to add to your system? Do you need an on board Wi-Fi? I think you can be fully satisfied with a mid-high range mobo, like the Asrock Z390 Taichi Ultimate, or an Asus ROG (like the Hero for ex.).

Hope this helps, and doesn’t complicate things for you :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: As for SLI and games, don’t be misled either. Very few of them are optimised for SLI, and not without problems. Gamers go for the best single GPU they can get.

Thanks Birdnamnam,

Yes, that’s definitely starting to clarifying things for me.

CPU: As sexy as the name ‘Threadripper’ is, I’m leaning more towards the Intel i9. Although the Threadripper sounds like it’s more powerful under certain circumstance, I think I’ll get more mileage out of the i9 since I’ll be doing some gaming and probably still use some other 3D software such as Maya.

GPU: I was planning on getting two 1080tis, so one 2080ti is a comparable price. I’ll double check the specs, but quite a few people have recommended doing this.

OSDrive: I’ll do a bit more reading on the NVMEs. As wonderful as they sound in theory, it may not be worth it for me yet.

Motherboard: You’re now the second person to recommend the Z390s. I like it when people start reaching a consensus :smiley:
I think for now I’ll get the one 2080ti GPU, but I may add another one in a year or two.
I do play a few online games. Not a huge amount though. More of a single player gamer.
And I’ll definitely want Wi-Fi. It’s probably simpler to get onboard.
It looks like the Z390s have enough expansion slots for my needs?

Monitors: I’m currently using two HP 2310e’s. I certainly haven’t had any problems with them, but is it worth looking at an upgrade now?

SLI: Okay, this is a random tangent - more out of curiosity than anything else.
I thought my graphics cards were on the fritz (they might still be) as I’d had some trouble with them, tweaked some settings in the Nvidia panel and they’d disappeared out of Blender.
I just went and turned SLI back on and boom! They’re back as options in Blender.
I literally have no idea what’s going on there…

That’s not simply consensus. These are the compatible and appropriate motherboards for this cpu. No one could have suggested something else. Here you can find the compatible chipsets from Intel https://ark.intel.com/products/186605/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-Processor-16M-Cache-up-to-5-00-GHz- The Z390 is the latest and best suited for the 9900K, because these motherboards have been built specifically for the high-end consumer cpus, like the 9900K and the 9700K. These cpus have specific thermal requirements and need mobos with good quality materials and adequate VRM cooling. So, it’s a one way road in this case. You need a z390 at least in the mid-high end range of the product line.

I didn’t mean you should be afraid of using nvmes in you system. Not at all. Get the 970 EVO, you’ll be fine (it’s good also for tidying up the system because it doesn’t need cables etc, and goes on the m.2 slot directly). I just said: don’t be too impressed by the specified performance. You’ll only see it under very specific circumstances. Not in every day use.

Oh! I was afraid of that… These monitors are quite old and obsolete by now. I can’t imagine a 5K$ system with these monitors, I’m sorry. Their presence is, how can I put it…, let’s say underwhelming :blush: (no offence here, again). You can do way better than that!

I’ve lost you in this last part. You mean that you already have 2 gpus and Blender didn’t recognise both of them, and did once you’ve connected them with SLI? That’s strange, the least I can say. Doesn’t make sense. Could you elaborate on that?

Finally, this is a part list I’ve made for your needs:PCPartPicker part list
You can add a hdd for your needs (just pick the storage space you need and at least 7200rpm).
I would definitely buy a new monitor if I was you. For both gaming and working you could see these:
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/ttnG3C/acer-monitor-xb271hubmiprz
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/XvfmP6/asus-monitor-pg279q

Thanks again Birdnamnam,

I think I’ve just about nailed down my choices. Last 3 questions:

RAM: Any reason to go with the Corsair Dominator over the Vengeance? They seem to have very similar specs and very similar prices.

Motherboard: You recommended the Asus – ROG Maximus XI Hero. I was also looking at the Z390 Aorus Master. Again, they’re similar prices. Any reasons for going the Hero over the Master?

Case: Any reason you picked the Fractal Design?

SLI:

I’ve lost you in this last part. You mean that you already have 2 gpus and Blender didn’t recognise both of them, and did once you’ve connected them with SLI? That’s strange, the least I can say. Doesn’t make sense. Could you elaborate on that?

Nope, can’t really elaborate - that’s exactly what happened! Not really an issue as I’m about to do this update, but as you say, very strange.

The Vengeance series is the mainstream series of Corsair, while the Dominator Platinum is the high-end: it allegedly has better chips inside, it supports monitoring via Corsair Link (a monitoring software from Corsair that gives various readings for temps, voltages etc), and it has better OC potential with larger heat sinks on the dimms. It’s oriented towards enthousiast users, to put it that way.

Since you don’t intend to OC the 9900K, then both motherboards will do the job just fine. I prefer Asus for my rigs, because I find the BIOS settings more intuitive and the interface better designed. You can see a good roundup with various specs here https://www.anandtech.com/show/13407/intel-z390-motherboard-overview-every-motherboard-analyzed/57

Yeah. They are top quality cases. Good materials, ergonomic design, very good cable management, and the list goes on. Of course, the case is a subjective choice in many aspects, so you can pick your favorite one. Just be sure it fits all of your parts inside with adequate spacing between them, and that it has good enough airflow for the warmer parts (gpu and cpu mainly).

The GPU side, the GTX 2080ti, is definitely a beast. does it value it’s premium? Nope. Unless you make a lot of paied projects, then you’ll get your money back.

Still I’d rather have dual RTX 2080’s then single 2080ti. For Cycles. For Eevee, there are work arounds that will allow you to use both (each rendering every other frame).

THe only thing is viewport, unsure if that uses dual GPu’s or single, will need to test more.

Still If I was faced with two 2080’s vs single 2080ti. two 2080’s win every day.

Dual gpus (via SLI) aren’t supported for viewports in any CG application, including Blender. Two 2080s would be faster in rendering compared to a single 2080ti, but TS has stated that he’ll be sending renderings to render clouds. In viewports a 2080 would also be quite close to a 2080ti, I believe. But the ti has a great advantage, the larger Vram (11 vs 8gb), which could be important in test renders (or real time previews) when the scene is heavier than 8gbs. Since money isn’t a problem and dual gpus aren’t paramount for this build, my logic says that the 2080ti would be the best option, especially when gaming is a factor here.

Okay, I think I’m sold. Here’s the build I have at the moment. Any last bits of advice before I go talk to a store?

Final cost is between $4964-$5865 depending on where exactly I can get the parts.
The lower end is PC Builders estimate, but I fully expect I won’t be able to get all of those cheaper prices.

PC Builder link: [Updated link to include HDD]
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CN8kKB

My personal preadsheet:

ITEM HARDWARE PRICE
CPU Intel Core i9-9900K $1,500.00
RAM # Corsair – Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200 (2x16GB) $470.00
Motherboard Z390 Aorus Master $480.00
Cooler # be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $190.00
GPU ### Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti $1,800.00
Case # Fractal Design - Define R6 Gunmetal TG ATX Mid $245.00
Power supply Corsair – HX Platinum 1000W $250.00
Hard Drive Seagate ST8000DM0004 Barracude Pro 8TB $450.00
NVME SSD Samsung EVO / PRO 970 1024GB $480.00

TOTAL PRICE: $5865

1 Like

You can buy a Win10 key from eBay for less than 10$ https://www.ebay.com/p/Microsoft-Windows-10-Pro-Professional-32-64bit/18019367068
The build looks great. I insist on the monitor. It’s unthinkable to run a 5k$ rig on an old 23" fhd monitor. I would shave off money from the build if I had to, in order to get a, at least, 27" 1440p ips monitor for this system. Two of them, even better.

Agreed. A good monitor is the closest thing to an investment when it comes to buying computers. All that cutting edge hardware is going to start becoming obsolete in a year or two, but get a good monitor and you can use it for 5-10 years across multiple computers.

1 Like

Don’t waste your money. For the same bucks, you have the ultimate 3d experience:

and you won’t have any monitor problem.

Not sure if trolling. For the same money a far better/more powerful system could be built, a wacom cintiq included. @kabu also note that OP is shopping in Australian Dollars.

@ArchDragon As for a monitor… Do you work professionally in print? If not, a good sRGB monitor is fine enough. If your 23" still feels fine to you, stick with it until it starts showing it’s age.

Roflmao - I think that Microsoft Surface would almost be a backwards step for me :rofl:

Hey Felix,

No, everything I do gets displayed on a screen somewhere - there’s currently no print work and I don’t have any real interest in changing that.

I’ll probably stick with my current monitors for now, but look into upgrading in the near future. I currently use 2 monitors and there’s no way I could go back to 1 now. So new monitors would be a fairly large investment on top of the new computer.