New Creator Question About Snapping.

I started fiddling with Blender about 2 weeks ago. I’ve watched hours of demos. but so much seems to fall through the cracks of logical learning. I understand much (if not all of the commands) are procedural ~ a natural order .

But I’m stuck pretty early on with trying to snap 2 flat objects together ~ but not at the seams.

I’m trying to create some basic 2d patterns to work with, then 3d patterns to get a greater grasp of the tools. The shape I would like to snap together is a basic one. 2 tiles 1 at a 45 degree angle to the first.

the 3 biggest questions I have are:

1 Am I really attempting to join objects or snap objects?
2 Am I able to “snap” edges at random variable points within the objects together to create an “X” point. In which I would “hope” a vertice be automatically created there for refenerce of 2 (possibly?) overlapping edges.
3 Am I able to "snap’ together 2 flat faces without a 3d element.

If I was demonstrating a dancing bear, would I have a vertice to use at the tip of the toe of the bear on the ground/plane.

Not sure I understand what you’re asking – perhaps a screenshot would help. You can snap any element (vertex, edge, face) to any other element, and they don’t have to be on the same object.

sorry here is the image.

there are more then one way of doing this

et your cursor at the center of first plane
then select second then Alt-S and select selection to cursor

and then rotate 45 Degrees

but then you have to remove edgee orer other edges
you could the knife tool to cut edge at intersection and remove double

2 easiest way i guess
add 2 plane at 45 degrees then set cursor on center of plane
and add a circle with 8 edges then scale
it fits precisely on the verts of the 2 planes at 45 degrees

salutations

1. Joining objects means making two objects of the same type to one that is then editable.
    For example, if you have two mesh objects, say two cubes near each other, you select them both and hit ctrl+J, they become one object, one mesh that you can then edit in edit mode. Joining objects doesn’t mean they become one connected mesh - Those cube meshes would be in the same place as they were as separate objects.
    Snapping objects means using snapping tool to move/rotate/scale an object relative to another object or increments that uses the grid.

2. No, snapping doesn’t create additional geometry.

3. Yes, they stay as separate objects or if they’re one mesh, they stay unconnected.

sadly booleans don’t work on flat geometry or curves. :frowning:

Don’t know if this was the shape you were after but here’s one example on how to make one connected mesh out of that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]192405[/ATTACH]

From top left:

• In object mode, add a plane
  • Go to edit mode, duplicate the plane (shift+d), cancel the transformation with ESC or RMB, rotate the selection by 45° along Z (R, Z, 45)
  • Use the knife tool (K, and cut through toggle: Z) to get triangle pieces cut and use the other plane as a quide. Knife tool snaps to elements, it shows a green rectangle when snapping correctly.
  • Cut both sides
  • Delete other faces that are there. Ctrl+tab to go face selection mode, select, x -> delete faces
  • Select inner edges from both triangles and subdivide them. Subdivide from specials menu: W
  • Select all, duplicate (shift+d) and rotate 90° along Z
  • Select all, duplicate, rotate 45° along Z
  • Select all, specials menu -> remove doubles
  • Select inner middle vertices from every triangle and merge (alt+m) at center
  • If you want, you can select all and inset (I) the faces to make a perimeter loop

Thank you all for the great help! I’ll use your example to practice with some more. If I stumble again I’ll come back! I think it’s interesting that such a simple shape in my mind takes so many steps. I spent 3+ hours trying to form a single shape like this using circles and everything … just no luck … I see now that setting a point to trace from is a necessary tool to form more complex shapes … 3d is going to be much harder I imagine!

ok – this is the simple creation in steps
(without pics … if not clear, respond)

1. add a circle (mesh) and change the number of vertices from the default of 32 to 16.

(i hope you switched first in top-down view = numpad-7)

1. tab into edit mode and select every n-th vertices (default is 2 and thats just what i want)

2. scale those selected together until its nearly your wanted image.

Now, if you need a really very geometrical object, you can use the snap to grid
option to snap the selected vertices to the displayd grid (in ortho-view).
If the grid size is god (like the default is for the steps above with the default size of the added mesh-circle), then the vertices will be nearly on the grid(-crossings).

And to make a 3d-objet out of it, just select all vertices and switch to side-view and extrude all along the z-axis …

And last hint, always try to understand the contour/basic-form thats sometimes a bit hidden at first sight.

this is quit simple … In header panel go to snap panel and select the type of snap. Press ctrl and move it it will work…

!!! Cheers !!!