New from Tangent Animation: Next Gen. Is this Bender?

(English is not my native language) #142

I’m not sure what kind of composition the big productions use, but I’m just amateour in this and I feel more comfortable making the composition at the end over resulting images. If you are going to make the composition over rendered resulting images (multi layer EXR), I am not sure if there is much advantage to using only Blender, anyway you should load images and make the composition from scratch.
Natron is a much more specialized program with the ability to load many filters and effects.

(Indy_logic) #143

We use nuke at work to make pre-comps in the lighting department. Every time I do, it’s a multi step process. You spend time lighting, rendering and then you have to load up nuke, find/update the footage, arrange nodes, set outputs etc.

With Blender, you just set it up once and it happens automatically every time you render. Not to mention that every time you render in Blender, while adjusting the lighting, you can see the effect of color correction, atmosphere, effects, etc. to me, that’s the main attraction.

I’m sure Natron is nice. I’ve heard it’s patterned after nuke. At the end of th day, just use what feels best for your workflow.

(English is not my native language) #144

@Indy_logic, do not be naughty! :disappointed_relieved: :stuck_out_tongue:
Blender and Natron are the two OpenSource, they are friends, not enemies. I am sure that both could be used in different situations and for different purposes.
Sorry for the off topic, just interested in finding some support for the nice people behind Natron who are not going through a good situation.

Thanks to you mentioning Natron (software I’ve never heard of) I just took a look and downloaded it! It’s really great! So thank you, you mentioning it helped support the software! :smile:

(Indy_logic) #146

I think you might be misunderstanding me. I’m not saying anything about Natron. Just about the workflow of using Blender compositor.

I’m sure Natron is great. Sorry if you thought I was saying something bad about it.

But like you said, this is off topic. You can message me privately if you need too. :slight_smile:

(Justin Goran) #147

while the Blender compositor was built in to blender, we still did compositing in separate files so it really wasn’t that different than opening another program.

Other compositing options were brought up at the start of the production (Natron, Fusion), but in the end it wasn’t the artists choice what software we use. Also a lot of dev time has been put into designing and implementing an asset/shot manager to help automate a lot of the tedious tasks and keep files organized, so having to also implement and manage an addon for two different applications would have been very difficult with a dev team that already has their work cut out for them.

Nuke is insanely powerful and light years ahead of any compositor I’ve ever used. It’s scripting capabilities and ASCII file format allows of unlimited scripting options, You complain about having to do all this stuff in nuke when you could easily script it to automatically build and spit out a comp for you with one button press.

Having a compositor built into blender is currently just a novelty and until it has an overhaul to actually perform like most standard compositing software it will continue just being a novelty.

(Indy_logic) #148

Cool, thanks Justin for that clarification.

Yeah, actually we have this same kind of thing at work. It keeps track of the shots we are working on through Shotgun and lets us know when passes are done. We still have to manually update footage (because sometimes you don’t want it to update the footage) and hook everything up ourselves. But in general, it does help a lot. When we render the pre-comp it automatically goes to the right folder and updates shotgun for us too.

I do see what you’re saying but I think it comes down to a matter of preference. Maybe I’m just lazy but I really like having all that in the scene with the 3D data. . :wink:

I mean, if you’re comparing it to Nuke, Then yes. Of course. But as a useful tool to augment the 3D, in my experience, it’s invaluable. Granted, I have not at all used it in any kind of stressful situation like a full movie (just TV commercials). But in those situations, it helped out a lot. Especially when I just wanted to make a tiny change in the 3D and it would just spit out the end result upon rendering.

P.S. I’m assuming you meant to write ‘Blender’ instead of ‘Nuke’. ;’)

(Justin Goran) #149

I agree having the compositor in blender is very handy in a lot of ways, and I would love to see that grow, but as it stands I don’t find it useful at all

that’s all I was really saying

and yes, I meant blender, I mean, what if they built a compositor into nuke? could you imagine!

(Indy_logic) #150

LOL! Now that’s just crazy talk! ;-D

(Klutz) #151

Among the many, many impressive features of Next Gen, the crowd simulation was something that really caught my eye.

I’d love to hear more about it, including the add-on by Sam Wald and the nParticles technique! I’m aware that Golaem is a massive (excuse the pun!) application, but I’m a bit surprised it doesn’t natively export to Alembic, or did I get that wrong?