New Game Engine Forums Discussion

I think this would work out the best. It doesnt have to get more complicated than this.

Having a ā€˜Game Engine Testsā€™ forum would be good for allowing people to post experiments and stuff, for instance if it had been around at the time it would perhaps have been a good place for Monster to post his Particle Emitter, or for Martinsh to post his Render to Texture thing. :smiley:

Thatā€™s what the Resources forum is for.

ā€¦:spin:ā€¦

ā€¦oops.

I htink this is one of the best ones because there are only three sections which contain almost everything you need.

1 Like

Itā€™s for trying out ideas outside of the context of an actual game.

ā€œHey look at this - A heat seeking missile testā€ or ā€œHereā€™s a forest all made up of textured planesā€ etc. Doesnā€™t really belong in WIP/Finished or HELP, but would be a darned useful resource.

Perhaps Game Engine Tests and Resources?

[EDIT] Looking back, Iā€™m thinking it might be better to look at that in the same light as WIP.

OK - Hereā€™s a revision of my suggested list:
Game Engine Help for Q&A problems with using BGE

Game Demo and WIP This would be the place for tests experiments as well. Iā€™m kind of presuming that once a game is actually finished, it will either remain as a demo; go off to some happy marketing stream in the sky (Which I guess is what we all should be encouraging!) or at least gets posted in Finished Projects.

Game Tutorials Plantperson earlier suggested Tutorials and Resources, but we already have a forum for Other Software that kind of covers resources.

I also reccommend that we keep the Python & Plugins thread as it also concerns Blender Rendering.

Iā€™m gonna have to go with Skullbunnyā€™s suggestion:
-support&resources
-games, demos, &WIP

just seems the most intuitive and simple layout to me (plus, only 2 categories for easier moderating and browsing)

Also, anymore than 2 forums will make it more difficult to search for stuff in the long run. You might do a search for " heat seeking missle" in one forum, and not get a tutorial thatā€™s in a separate forum. Itā€™s already bad enough that people ask the same questions over and over again. It would get worse with split support/tutorial forums.

Itā€™s not like people are cranking out tutorials left and right. When good tutorial threads come up, the mods could just add them to a sticky ā€œTutorialsā€ thread at the top of Support and Resources.

Good point!

So that would bring it down to:

• Game Engine Help and Resources*
  • Game Engine WIP and DemosNice.:yes:
  • What exactly would ā€œResourcesā€ entail?

Resources can cover a wide variety of topics, such as:

-links to free textures/models
-an index of python methods
-a heat seeking missle script
-a list of places to upload files
-any tutorials

ā€¦and on and on. Really, anything to help you make games or solve problems would be a resource.

OK - Sounds good then.

Darn - Hope I havenā€™t roped myself into developing one if these now! :eek:

Just a little more info. This has been discussed in private for some time now. PlantPerson and OTO were promoted to Moderators for the express purpose of putting the GameEngine back on the map in BlenderArtists. The idea is that once concensus has been reached in this thread (and weā€™re close) weā€™ll have enough to go to Goofster with a proposal. Bottom line is he has the final say.

That doesnā€™t mean a proposal has little or no chance of being implimented, it just means that it should be reasonable. Splitting it up into three forums (or more) is moving towards unreasonable. Once we have a dedicated GameEngine Section, with itā€™s own Forums, the GE mods can run with it from there and look at adding a GE Art and GE Competition forums further down the line (if the proposed new forums are not sufficient).

As far as Resources, Demos, WIPā€™s and their derivitive definitions are concerned we have to look ahead to after the release of Apricot and the parallel association(s) with CrystalSpace. If they produce the same OS resources that ED did they will be a lot more valuable (as a resource) for Games than ED files were for non-games. All this will be very confusing for new arrivals and a ā€œHelp and Resourcesā€ forum (whatever itā€™s eventually called) will be useful for seperating that kind of traffic from the existing forum where itā€™s all work and no play. It would also be the ideal place to hang the inevitable twenty or so Stickies as we can only have so many stickies in an active forum without them eventually getting in the way. In a Help and Resources forum thatā€™s not so much of a problem.

%<

well i think this would be a good idea, and reading through this thread the one i like most so far is in this post which are

• Game Engine Support
  • WIPs, Game Demos, and Finished Games
  • Tutorials and Resources

Perhaps to make fewer forums we could combind Game Engine Support with Tutorials and Resources.

• Game Engine Support + Tutorials and Resources
  • WIPs, Game Demos, and Finished Games

Last time you ask us what we ā€œthinkā€ huh lol

I say do what YOU feel is right. They made you a mod for good reasons im sure. I trust you.

Finally this is happening? 'Bout time and all. How long have we been dreaming of this :P?

I think the above is a perfect layout.

I think this thread has gathered as much information as we need, and has satisfactorily served its purpose.

If youā€™d like to make any further suggestions, feel free to PM one of us.