New GE competition

I recently completed a BSoD for the Game Engine, which you can find here.
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_the_Game_Engine

Rather than take the EURO 500, I’ve decided to use it as a prize fund for another Game Engine competition.

The last competition was a great success, with some excellent games and concepts ( and graphics ).

For this one, I want to encourage both new and existing developers to work on some smaller, fun games, and also to try to make sure that some existing games ( which are excellent! ) don’t automatically win, so that everyone has an equal chance of winning.

These are my thoughts so far…

• The competition will be based around creating 3 simple games, rather than 1. This will mean that the games will be smaller in scope, but will show a wider range of the developers skills.

• Each of the 3 games should have a title screen, with options to play the game, quit, and view the credits. This will encourage developers to look into using scenes to “package” the game in a more professional way for end players.

• Each of the 3 games should have at least 3 levels. This will encourage developers to make use of the ability to share a game object and logic between scenes.

• The focus should be on using Sensors, Controllers and Actuators, rather than scripting in Python

• At least one of the games should use Bullet physics to some degree.

While making 3 games sounds difficult, they should be relatively small and simple games.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what they would like to see in this competition? Ideas can either be used to improve this compo, or as the basis of a future one.

Regards…
Mal

What kind of timeframe are you thinking of using? 1 month, 2 , 3…?

What are the prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place?

Where is the competition website?

What is the timeframe?

Opinions:

Your streching it with 3 games per entry. Have the developer concentrate on 1 game. It’s a tried and true strategy from the PSP competition.

• The focus should be on using Sensors, Controllers and Actuators, rather than scripting in Python
    That’s like saying “no” to some of the best devs in the community. The point should be to make a game with blender, period.

MOST IMPORTANT:

Give the developers as much freedom as possible, or no one will participate. Your saying “The game has to have this many levels, using theese methods, blah blah.” Stop, restrict your demands to a single scope. If you looked at the PSP competition, the only requirement was that the game used the bullet engine in some way. A single requirement that gave the developers alot of freedom.

I truly believe that it was that freedom that made the PSP competition such a big succsess (that, and the fact that it was held by Erwin)

There was that feeling last time, that people had been working on these games a long time. One system that’s used is to pick a theme at the start of the competition to stop that. Of course, then people can just change their cars to that theme and it doesn’t change much. I agree with Social, though. 3 games is too many. Also, something I would like to see is an originality of concept put into the judging. We see these same old tired ideas worked over and over. Original concepts don’t win because they haven’t been done 100 times and perfected. The real drear of the last competition is that they chose these worn out categories for you.

sounds fun! I might have time to do this :slight_smile:

Suggestion:

Perhaps have a Guru and a N00bie prize :slight_smile:

The guru one can include python scripting, and the noobie one logic block only.

I dunno… might encourage more people to compete.

this is very generous and selfless of you :slight_smile:

p00f, seconded. It would give some of us non-python-knowing-newbies a chance :stuck_out_tongue:

I think another competition would be good to show off the power of the Game engine. I’m thinking you should have give 1 to 2 months per game if you’re going to have 3 games be with each entry to give time for making some levels and polish it up.

Also, are you going to add python scripting to the game engine documentation? Like an overview of all the commonly called commands and overviews of the commands you can use and examples of using python for complex stuff because I don’t see any mention of python of the table of contents?

Maybe you could have one theme, but 2 categories. A Beginner Category for games made only with logic bricks, and an Advanced for games incorporating Python. That way you could show off what someone can do with no programming and what’s possible with more experience.

I’d also recommmend limiting use of GLSL, since not everyone has up to date video cards. The point of a competition should really be to show off gameplay anyway.

Originality of the games is most important issue about making a game.
Anyone with a little expirience in blender can make a game that we all saw a million times. So the focus should be on originality and affter that categories can be on how p00f said…
But on the other hand, I stink about making a great idea for a game and also like games that are visualy great so maybe the whole concept of voting for the best game should be also given to those who tried those same games. I don’t know, just an idea…
But whatever happens i am looking forward to making a nice little game for a competition!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I think that 3 games is a little to much, it’s already difficult to make one good game. Maybe it’s a idea to focus on different category’s Like Best: Game Design Document(-> something most people underestimate), Best: Game play etc…
And give two gerne’s to make a game for. And making teams would be a idea, so new people can work with more experienced people!

Just thinkig out loud,
wessx

Thats a great idea!
Teamwork could help make some verry sweet games!

I know if I could skip the logic part, and just model to someones code/game specifications, I could produce 200% more content.

I think what I missed in psp contest is a good testing mechanism. Also, there was no restriction regarding teams : the winning game was made by a team. So, maybe, there could be made teams of creators, and they could also take some testers from the community, so that not all peaple(also other contestants) see the game before it’s finnished.
But I think yet another contest is a great idea. Maybe it motivates the organisators of Suzanne Awards to make finally also a category for game art.

I really want this competition to focus on smaller games that non-coders ( ie focusing on artists, rather than python experts ) can also join in on. It’s not that I’m trying to outcast GE Python coders, having a heavily Python based competition would be perfect for a competition in the near future .

After taking a GE course for a week, it became quite apparent that some great game ideas can be thought of and implemented very quickly within the GE, using no programming - I’d like to see how far games using only sensors/actuators/controllers could be taken.

Focusing on 3 simple games, with just 3 game levels ( eg beginner/training, medium, and advanced ), and with some sort of basic menu structure, is something that should easily be within the grasp of most GE users on the list, doing it part time - also, a “fancy effect” game win sequence would help tie it all together.

The resulting simple to medium advanced games could then be used by future GE users as a way of learning the ropes - eg on college / university courses, to encourage them to use Blender.

Regarding timelines, I’d think 3 months would be a good limit ( roughly a game a month - the type of games that I hope will be entered would be games that could be done in about 2 heavy-ish part time weeks, with another week to design 3 levels, and another week to implement menus / jazz up graphics etc ).

Also, regarding prizes, Euro 250 for 1st prize, E150 for 2nd and E100 for 3rd would be about right - more prizes may be donated also over the duration of the competition.

I can see future competitions where template game scripts are given out ( eg a FPS one, a driving one ), and where the entrants have to choose one and create some sample levels, but for this - as mentioned earlier - the focus should be on seeing what is possible with simple sensor/controller/actuator setups.

I’ll concrete a few thoughts over the next week or so and will then give a start date for the competition, as well as throwing in a few ideas for sample games.

I’ll keep this list updated, but the ideas could include…

• keep the ball in the air game
  • breakout style games
  • that game that uses the space bar to keep a moving ship in the air, and avoiding obstacles
  • “whack a mole” style games
  • rolling an object around an environment to collect items to get to the next level
  • a fun bowling game ( using crazy pin models )
  • a fairground “shooting duck” style game
  • flying spaceship style game - the list goes on!

Also, feel free to throw in your own simple game ideas that you’d like to see someone implement!

Regards…
Mal

The “whack a mole” and “shooting duck” games sound like games which will be using the mouse (for targeting that is), since moving the crosshair with arrow keys would be ridiculous.

In that case, those two games themselves would have to override the no py rule, because you can’t access mouse position functions without going through python AFAIK.

( ie focusing on artists, rather than python experts )
Hmm…I hope your not implying that people who know BGE Python are somehow not artists. They are in fact just as much “artists” as people who don’t use python in the BGE (with the difference being that they don’t like to bother with 100 or so logic brick, when 10 could do.)

> Hmm…I hope your not implying that people who know BGE Python are somehow not artists.

Can I just confirm that I’m trying to help with promoting the GE, rather than spend the E500 on partying and drink, and that I am not implying anything untoward towards anyone.

ffs, drinking it would have been a lot less hassle! lol
Mal

Quote:
( ie focusing on artists, rather than python experts )
Hmm…I hope your not implying that people who know BGE Python are somehow not artists.

I don’t think he’s implying that at all. Read the sentence without the part in (). That is his emphasis, not on who is an artist or not.

I really want this competition to focus on smaller games that non-coders can also join in on.

Good.

Now if you could just adress the issues I mentioned before that, about how some of the game suggestions you listed would require python.

Can I just confirm that I’m trying to help with promoting the GE, rather than spend the E500 on partying and drink
And…

I mean those are very nice intentions, but it doesn’t mean that we can’t ask you a few questions. Right? After all you did ask for our opinions.

I think you might have misinterpreted the general tone of my questions. I’m not trying to criticize you here. I’m just trying to clear a few things up, so that I can understand how excluding python makes things better (which is still a mystery to me, btw)

I think it’s to make it fair to those that don’t know python. I think he’s afraid that if python is allowed, the people that know python will ultimately make higher quality games, and will win the contest. So basically I guess he’s trying to make sure that everyone has a chance of winning.

Mal, what a great iniciative! I thank you in the name of the comunity!

I like the focus of the competition on the game play, but I think that Python should be allowed on the game entries.

does using blender2crystal count?