New GIMP tutorial

This is a bit of a follow up on my last tutorial (http://www.blendenzo.com/tutGIMPCloth.html). This will walk you through the basics of creating textures for the Blender Game Engine. It’s aimed at beginners, but will be nontheless informative to more advanced users. It will teach you how to make a nice looking stone texture in only a few minutes. Check it out, and give me feedback. If you want more tutorials from me, I need feed back on how to improve. Here it is:http://www.savefile.com/files/182335

C’mon folks. I need feedback if you want more tutorials. 45 people have seen this thread and there has been no response. I don’t write tutorials for myself, just to pass the time, I write them for this community, and I need the community to help me write them better.

Didn’t let me download will try again

stll no go

For those having trouble downloading, the tutorial is now hosted at http://www.blendenzo.com/tutGIMPStone.html

Dim, I fixed one error. Textures should be sized in powers of two. You said multiples of four in the tut. While all of the numbers you listed would work (since they were also powers of two), not all multiples of four are good for making textures.

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of “tutorial makers”
If this can “encourage” you, I’ve been making tuts for Blender since some years
probably some thousand views and got … ten? feedbacks?!
There are so many few tutorials dedicated to Blender/texture that it’s always
a good adition
Keep Blending
Bye

Don’t get discouraged by lack of feedback. I’ve looked and used parts from everyone of OTO’s tutorials and here and now is first time he has heard about it. Assuming he reads your post again.

Thanks for catching that Blendenzo! And thatnk you very much for hosting it!

Oto: You’re right, and I’m guilty of it too. I download people’s tutorials, and never give them feedback.

Jessegp: Thanks for the reassurence.

Still, it’d be nice for people to tell me what is wrong with the tutorials or at least some helpful feedback.

The solid noise that you first used is tileable then you applied the first filter then make seamless. I’m not sure if you needed that first make seamless, that was the only little thing I thought might have been unnecessary.

edit
oh and I never used the unsharpen mask filter before(i think thats what its called) it appears to have many sweet uses. So I’m very thankful for the example.

Thanks Jessegp. You’re right about the tileable/make seamless thing. For some reason, it doesn’t actually make it tileable when you check “Make Tileable”, but I’ve done it out of force of habit. I guess there really is no reason to have that in there.

Some very nice tips are included in this tutorial. I didn’t know png format was best before and that a scaled down 512 image could look just as good as a normal sized one. I used a greenish color in the colorize step and made a really cool moss covered type rock texture.

Scaling down images is often debated, I’m not good enough to see the difference but several pro swear by painting in the actual scale and probably an equal number swear by scaling. Ofcourse you can just put your one pixel brush aside until after you scale.

On the scaling issue: When using the GIMP, I would highly recommend painting at the desired resolution as opposed to scaling. The GIMP offers three scaling methods (Standard, Linear, and Cubic I believe), and they don’t use the best algorithims for retaining detail. Even Cubic scaling adds a bit of fuzziness.

If you are using Adobe Photoshop, it doesn’t matter so much whether you scale or not. My really junky old version of Photoshop (v 5 LE) supports Bi-Linear and Bi-Cubic scaling, which yield much better results.