New: Grid Gallery View!

This was a tricky one; I just applied a fix. Can you please check?

@bartv Yay! It works!

Now what about this:

It now says ‘List on’ / ‘List off’. Is that not clear enough? It’s not a simple thing to change I’m afraid, so unless there’s a real UX issue here I think I won’t prioritise it.

I guess it’s fine. Still says “Grid” for me though.
It’s just that using the same word with “on” and “off” doesn’t seem like the best way to indicate 2 different modes to me. That’s why I suggest giving the name of each mode so you know what’s going to happen when you click on the button for the first time.
Anyway, not that important.

Is there any possibility to make the grid expand more on the sides of the page ?

Can you show a screenshot/mockup of what you mean please?

Well, one more column on each side would be the best for me:

But maybe a full-on “Artstation” full-screen mode would be even better.
I like to leave a little margin though.

I’m constrained by the current page width. Of course everything is possible, but I suspect this won’t be an easy change.

and, crazy question, is the general page width changeable ?

Not with just one simple setting. It’s really not something I want to prioritize at this point.

The Forum Gallery shows the top row in double again. You have to refresh the page for it to disappear.

A great addition to this would be to use it on search results. This could bring 2 major improvements to the website:

1. a true “Artstation-like” search engine
  2. a “per account Portfolio” feature.

I’m no expert in the plugins used but the way I see it, we could get the developer of Topic List Previews to add thumbnails in search results pages and then get the Grid Gallery plugin to display a grid there too.
As for the portfolio, it would be as simple as generating a url such as this:
https://blenderartists.org/search?q=%40chameleonscales%20%23artwork%3Afinished-projects%20in%3Afirst
(it’s a search for all the topics I’ve started in the Finished Projects category)

and putting a link to that generated url in the user’s profile page (with a nice icon)

If that seems plausible, it could be a good Patreon goal for the future Patreon page.

PS: @bart in case you didn’t notice my previous post right above :arrow_up:

Quoting the dev of Topic List Previews:

Adding topic list preview functionality is definitely possible, but it will be a bit of work. The search results are not a “topic list” like the other lists. They don’t use the same components and have different plugin outlets.

Doesn’t work very well on mobile (Android 6.0 with Firefox app):