New: Grid Gallery View!

(Bart Veldhuizen) #21

This was a tricky one; I just applied a fix. Can you please check?

(ChameleonScales) #22

@bartv Yay! It works!

Now what about this:

(Bart Veldhuizen) #23

It now says ‘List on’ / ‘List off’. Is that not clear enough? It’s not a simple thing to change I’m afraid, so unless there’s a real UX issue here I think I won’t prioritise it.

(ChameleonScales) #24

I guess it’s fine. Still says “Grid” for me though.
It’s just that using the same word with “on” and “off” doesn’t seem like the best way to indicate 2 different modes to me. That’s why I suggest giving the name of each mode so you know what’s going to happen when you click on the button for the first time.
Anyway, not that important.

(ChameleonScales) #25

Is there any possibility to make the grid expand more on the sides of the page ?

(Bart Veldhuizen) #26

Can you show a screenshot/mockup of what you mean please?

(ChameleonScales) #27

Well, one more column on each side would be the best for me:

But maybe a full-on “Artstation” full-screen mode would be even better.
I like to leave a little margin though.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #28

I’m constrained by the current page width. Of course everything is possible, but I suspect this won’t be an easy change.

(ChameleonScales) #29

and, crazy question, is the general page width changeable ?

(Bart Veldhuizen) #30

Not with just one simple setting. It’s really not something I want to prioritize at this point.

(ChameleonScales) #31

The Forum Gallery shows the top row in double again. You have to refresh the page for it to disappear.

(ChameleonScales) #32

A great addition to this would be to use it on search results. This could bring 2 major improvements to the website:

1. a true “Artstation-like” search engine
  2. a “per account Portfolio” feature.

I’m no expert in the plugins used but the way I see it, we could get the developer of Topic List Previews to add thumbnails in search results pages and then get the Grid Gallery plugin to display a grid there too.
As for the portfolio, it would be as simple as generating a url such as this:
https://blenderartists.org/search?q=%40chameleonscales%20%23artwork%3Afinished-projects%20in%3Afirst
(it’s a search for all the topics I’ve started in the Finished Projects category)

and putting a link to that generated url in the user’s profile page (with a nice icon)

If that seems plausible, it could be a good Patreon goal for the future Patreon page.

PS: @bart in case you didn’t notice my previous post right above :arrow_up:

(ChameleonScales) #33

Quoting the dev of Topic List Previews:

Adding topic list preview functionality is definitely possible, but it will be a bit of work. The search results are not a “topic list” like the other lists. They don’t use the same components and have different plugin outlets.

(ChameleonScales) #34

Doesn’t work very well on mobile (Android 6.0 with Firefox app):