New guy

Hi,

I have never used Blender. I was just wondering if learning Blender is easy. Some have said that Blender is difficult to learn…so that’s why I’m a little undecided!!!

What about support …? I see there is no phone support line ?

Is there anyone that can give me some direction as to what will the learning Currie for blender is like?

Thank you

Here are the the support options: https://www.blender.org/support/

I would say the closest thing to a support line is this: https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/

Additionally here ( at blenderartists ) the community helps out with most support and artistic questions.

Further, youtube has oodles of videos, just do a search over there for what your interested in.

In my own case, which may or may be common, I have spent a great deal of time and still struggle with basic topology, and understanding other technical aspects. 3D can be very deep. It may depend on your focus and what you want to do?

2 Likes

I believe the best way to learn Blender is with youtube tutorials like the one from blender guru. thanks to youtube’s search algorithm, you fast find tons of other good tut’s. And of curse in this forum.

2 Likes

You are in luck. Blender 2.8 and beyond has a much more standard and intuitive interface which matches many other programs and interfaces you should already know and have memorised.
That said, Blender still has a certain difficulty. I began before 2.8 so my experience is likely going to be different than yours. I found that it does have a steep learning curve compared to other software, but pretty normal in terms of software that can do so lots like Blender can do.

Like others have said, there are plenty of resources to try out. Blender’s community is pretty large and there are many places to get support. One that no one had mentioned yet was that there is a Blender discord server which does provide pretty quick answers there.
You can also see in this link that there are many other places to get help and see what sorts of places there are in the Blender community: https://www.blender.org/community/

And finally, tutorials are recommended. Pretty much the best and only suggestion is BlenderGuru’s YouTube beginner tutorials. His donut series is a great start to get to learn Blender and you should have a look at some videos like this to see whether Blender is something you would want to do. I personally found YouTube to be the best place to learn new things for Blender.

1 Like

I think it depends a lot on your background. What do you know already about CG?

I started with Blender 2.8 and had no experience with CG before.
And, to be honest, I found Blender easier to learn than expected. I did have a lot of experience in related fields though (compositing, photography, filmmaking), which helped me.
Blender offers lot’s of possibilities and there are still many things I have to learn.
But whenever I do something new, there is a great YouTube tutorial to guide me through.
So I basically started creating from day one.

As someone who does not know any other CG program (but a lot of editing and compositing programs) I think that Blender is very well developed. It feels (mostly) logical and it is very consistent, throughout the different modules. There are lot’s of nice little functions and details which show, that the devs really think and care about Blender. It’s heaps better developed than Adobe’s apps, by the way.
Additionally there are tons of add-ons which make Blender even better.

2 Likes

I started teaching my wife v2.8 last month and she’s having a great time!

Don’t worry about what you’ve heard - install v2.82 and have a go for yourself see how it feels for YOU when learning blender.

For training, there’s excellent free tutorials on YouTube - just search “Blender 2.8 Beginner” or “Blender Channels” and a good amount should come up.

Some of my favorite channels are Grand Abbitt, CG Geek, BornCG, Blender Guru, the Blender Channel; Flipped Normals has also started doing Blender 2.8x tutorials…

Welcome to the forums, and above all else have fun while you’re learning!

-Will

4 Likes

Hi fellows,

I would like to thank everyone that posted in this thread… your feedback/help is very appreciated :+1:

Hmmm free is hard to beat… especially when softwares like C4D are about 6K$ CAD!!

I have no experience with CGI or 3D modelling softwares. The only experience I have is about 6 months with Final Cut Pro which I used to create a 20 minute short film :man_shrugging:t2:

But I feel like I would like to add more special effects in my films and so I have been looking around at softwares like C4D, Houdini, 3DS Max and of course Blender. The sales point of many of these softwares with a high price tag is they tut that they are simpler to use.

Well here are some of my questions:

1. Can I use B on MAC?
  2. Can I take an bunch of images of an item from all sides of a car… and then bring in all those images and stitch them together so I can create my own 3D model?
  3. If #2 is possible to do in B, can I then manipulate my 3D object so it looks like it breaks apart or gets smashed up ?
  4. When a 3D animation is made in B, can I save it to a file type that Final Cut Pro recognizes so I can use it in my film?
  5. To accomplish #4, do I need a FCP plug-in such as the MO2 plug-in made by MotionVFX to bring in a 3D model object created with B into FCP?

Anyways that’s all I can think of for now!

Thank you so much for your guidance/help

Blender is definitely the way to go if you’re just starting out–and in my opinion, it’s worth sticking with. Blender can do almost anything other apps can do, and if it doesn’t do it now, it will down the road.

There is also a swath of tutorials out there, and are being created on the daily.

I started with Max in the 90s, went to Maya in the 2000s and for the past two years I’ve been using Blender, and I honestly prefer almost everything in Blender 2.8* to all other software…especially with a free price tag.

Good luck!

1 Like

I think I can mostly answer your questions:

1 yes

2 you can get textures but it may be a challenge to implement them in blender, in this case you would model the car yourself or maybe find one made already (likely for a price). Modeling a car would also be a challenge. You may also be able to scan your car but I don’t personally know anything about that.

1. You could probably do that if the car is modeled in 3d, again a challenge, I think in this case you would distort the model you have. In the case of a 3d scan it would be more difficult I think.

2. I don’t know what FCP recognizes but you can generate video (mp4, ogg, quicktime…)

3. As I said I don’t know what FCP recognizes but it may be something like obj format which blender can export. There are a number of export options for blender.

mo2 doc:

https://s3.v-dc.cloud/motionvfx:public/mO2/Manual/index.html#model-library

Custom models can also be imported to the Model Library by clicking on the Import Model button located in the lower-left corner of the Model Library. Various 3D file formats are supported: glTF 2.0, OBJ, FBX, DAE, 3DS, LWO, LWS and more.

1 Like
  1. Yes
  2. Not easily. A better option would to be use photo-scanning software like Meshroom that takes many images and generates a 3d textured mesh from it. It is still possible to model the entire car within Blender and texture it properly but it would definitely take a lot of work.
  3. From the above photo-scanning software, you can import the model and create physics simulations with the in-built physics that certainly could do such things.
  4. Animations can be rendered out in many file types. I recommend that you render out each frame as an image (jpeg works well I found to be both small in file size and compressed to the amount that the video will be). Final Cut Pro should be able to take all the rendered frames and combine them all into one video.
  5. I have no experience with that, so I cannot say.
1 Like

It is not.

There are many MANY resources to learning, but it is IMO not a very friendly program, and not particularly consistent. I’ve found it easy to get confused by the many, some times conflicting, information on the web, and the recent 2.8 upgrade has exacerbated this problem.

It’s possible that a commercial learning program that is well structured could bring you along in an efficient and sensible way, and is probably the best way to go to avoid being bogged down in the minutia of the program. Hopefully a commercial ($) course would avoid the duplication of google searches, and concentrate on the current state of the program.

Grant Abbit and Blender Guru are two recommended resources. Check out what they offer.

Ok thank you all for your feedback it is very helpful

:v:

Oh, and add JAYANAM to your list of excellent YouTube Blender instructors. He’s great – MANY youtubers are excellent teachers, support those you can.