New Here, Help me if you are able.

Wanna talk about a blender newbe, thats me. Been working with blender now for about a year. I enjoy the versitility of the program itself and realize the great potential for its application into just about everything. :eyebrowlift2: I’ve been working on a few projects with a friend who introduced me to the experience of blendering. However, just as me, he is new to all of it as well.
I’ve ran into a couple of problems tho. I’d like to put out some really good looking renderings, and I have heard a bit through watching the posts and what not in the various sites about a couple of programs that will aid me in this.

1. RIB MOSAIC, I have the program and it is resident within the Blender platform. I realize that it is not a render program, and needs an adjunct to work.
  2. PIXIE, Have the program, and just don’t know how to get RIB MOSAIC to access it and use it as the render program.
    I haven’t a clue as to how to do this, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

A new renderer will not make your pictures more beutifull, except with tests of certain features. Check out the 3D > Dalek > Blender section of my site to see an example of a fairly decent render I made from Blender internal. I also made the Stargate model (3D > Stargate), which I made back when I was only in Blender for about a year. And that is completely Blender internal also.

So, don’t go downloading renderers thinking it will make your images look good. Also, external renderers also take a LOT more configuring, and the only advantage you have in using them is that you might get a few more features (global illumination, photon mapping, etc.), and you would have to know how to use them in order to make your renders any better.

For a nice renderer that is fairly integrated into Blender, and easier to set up, check out Yafray.

But above all, it is the artist that produces the quality of the art, not the tool used to create it.

True that. My treasure chest piece (see sig) turned out well, and it’s all blender internal. Not even any “soft shadows” from the Broken build.

Regarding RIB Mosaic. Mosaic builds a file that a Renderman compliant renderer can read. As I understand it, (which may be off) Mosaic uses some Blender settings and converts them to the appropriate Renderman language, and allows you to specify settings Renderman can use. In order to do that, you need to know how to “program” in Renderman, which is a specification language like HTML.

Once Mosaic has built the file, you then open the file in your rendering program (ie: Pixie). If you’re doing this on a Linux platform, you can do this with a pipe line command, so it happens more or less automatically. On other platforms, you open the render program, and then tell it to open the RIB file.

It is definitely not Plug and Play.

If you are as new as you think you are, work on lighting and texturing with Blender Internal first. Post some work here, we’ll be glad to help you out.

Menu bar —> render —> render settings ----> auto adjust ----> make perfect :slight_smile:

Hey, I took flight training in Mobile!!! Lots of fun. Very pretty girls there.

So, welcome to the jungle, I hope you catch the disease.

:stuck_out_tongue: If only I could do that!

Oh come on, PapaSmurf! There are pretty girls everywhere there is flight training.

I concur with the previous posts, unless your really wanting to learn a technical renderer (RenderMan is probably the grand daddy of all technical renderers!) your probably better off to leave it alone. But if you can’t resist ( like me :wink: ) take your time and enjoy learning about it, theres plenty of material about it and its an amazing system!!

To answer your orginal question thou, you will need the latest version of Blender the latest version of Pixie (can be a pain to get working on some systems) and the CVS version of MOSIAC. To setup MOSAIC you need to start “mosaic.py” and goto the “MOSIAC Settings” tab and select your renderer from the preset (Pixie), set the export directory (automatically uses Blender’s temp dir if you don’t want to bother), and add a library path to your renderers shaders (such as “C:\Program Files\Pixie\Shaders”). At this point in development you can use MOSAIC to do raytraced shadows, reflection, refraction and occlusion without touching any code (you don’t have to render from the command line either, just press the render button at the top of the menu). If you want to try and get the whole package from CVS see here: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=981876#post981876 or to just download the HEAD version of “mosaic.py” go here: http://ribmosaic.cvs.sourceforge.net/ribmosaic/mosaic/mosaic.py?view=log

However none of this will take you further then Blender’s internal can go, and to get into photon maps, brick maps, complex shaders and so forth you will have to get more technical (which is kinda the point of RenderMan).

Anyway hope that helps, and good luck no matter what path you choose :wink:

You can! It is easy. Ctrl+alt+ spacebar+insert+ up arrow+ F12+ right button mouse click :o

I’m not sure I have enough fingers. Is there a hot key?

OK, supposing you get Pixie and MOSAIC’s Blender Internal equivalent up and running, and then you want to get more technical. Where do you recommend someone start learning Renderman? Are there any simple tutorials on making, say, a photon map, or a shader? Is that even a good place to start?

Well a good place to start as is always the case is with your renderers manual and forums ;). Also MOSAIC is built around RenderMan with no attempt to “hide” it or its terminologies, so anything learned should make “some” sense when using the interface. Here are some links I found that can be good places to start:

http://ribmosaic.wiki.sourceforge.net/
http://www.renderman.org/
http://www.rendermanacademy.com/
http://www.fundza.com/
http://www.rendermania.com/
http://graphics.stanford.edu/lab/soft/purgatory/prman/Toolkit/AppNotes/

Also the actual RiSpec from Pixar is invaluable if you don’t mind a very technical read (this is the info that all RenderMan systems use as reference including MOSAIC!):
https://renderman.pixar.com/products/rispec/

Unfortunately I don’t know of any sites that have a kind of ABC’s of RenderMan beyond what I just shared. Eventually MOSAIC will have a full set example scenes broken down by difficulty and a completed manual with tutorials, but not until the code base is ready to leave beta :wink:

Thanks for those links. I’ve got them bookmarked. From a brief glance at them all, I feel like I’m looking at somthing at least as involved as Blender itself, with a similar somewhat daunting learning curve for a beginner. Am I?

Let me ask this another way. Last summer I played around a bit with 3dsMax, and the Max renderer does caustics and has an option called Final Gather that improved the look of the lighting quite a bit. Suppose I just wanted to add caustics and something similar to Max’s Final Gather to my renders. Is this do-able without learning the whole of Renderman?

@ [email protected]: sorry for the hijack – I hope you are finding this discussion useful, too.

Um, Max renderer doesn’t have any of that. Mental Ray does, and it comes with Max, but isn’t exactly part of it.

Caching Global Illumination in Yafray will do the same thing as final gather (and I think Yafray is getting Final Gather soon anyways), and Yafray also supports caustics (photon mapping).

I feel like I’m looking at somthing at least as involved as Blender itself
Probably even more involved then that, RenderMan has been around for a long time and has alot too it!

Um, Max renderer doesn’t have any of that. Mental Ray does, and it comes with Max, but isn’t exactly part of it.

Caching Global Illumination in Yafray will do the same thing as final gather (and I think Yafray is getting Final Gather soon anyways), and Yafray also supports caustics (photon mapping).
Tynach is correct, any of those kind of features usually require a more advanced renderer then an internal one, and because of that usually they don’t enjoy full integration. He is also right in saying Yafray offers this in a very integrated way in Blender ;).

As far as doing final gathering in RenderMan it depends on what renderer you use (most of the advanced features vary greatly between renderers). If you use 3Delight you can do it in one pass, this is what you would need to do:

1. Create a standard scene with a standard lamp and a materials applied to everything.
  2. Turn “photon” to “ON” in MOSAIC for all materials you want to use color bleeding.
  3. Select “indirectlight.sdl” in MOSAIC’s “Generate Shader Fragment” utility and set its “finalgather” parameter to 1.
  4. Select the light in MOSAIC and select the “ls_indirectlight” from the previous step.
  5. Goto Blender text editor and create a text named “cf_photonemit” and add this:
Option "photon" "emit" [ 1000 ]

Create another text named “cf_lightemit” and add this:

Attribute "light" "emitphotons" ["on"]
  1. Select “cf_photonemit” in MOSIAC’s scene setup tab under “Frame Begin Code”.
  2. Select “cf_lightemit” in MOSAIC’s light setup tab under “Light Begin Code”.
  3. Press render.

If this sounds complicated, it is… but not that bad once you understand whats going on. Its all a matter of what your wanting to do I guess, but if you want simple I would stay away from RenderMan ;).

Have all the newest files of the programs downloaded on my pute, id est 1. Blender 2.5 2. Mosaic 3. Pixie
Have the py file in the blender directory “scripts”, On the blender platform, the scripts file brings up the Mosaic buttons, and now, How do I point the “Output Directory” and the “Renderer Binary” to their proper places?

If your using the CVS version and not the download package, then click on “MOSIAC Settings” and click “Renderer Presets” drop down and select “Pixie” (this will fill in the binaries for you), then click “Export Directory” and point it to where you want to export to (default is Blender’s tmp directory). If you don’t see those option then you will need to download the CVS version of the script from here: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=981876#post981876.
Then just click the render button in “MOSAIC Actions” to render the scene.

If you want to use the “Generate Shader Fragment” to view and edit shader parameters you will also need to click “Add Library Path” and point it to “C:\Program Files\Pixie\shaders” (or wherever you have Pixie’s shaders installed).