New icons for Blender 2.8

Exactly.
Eventually the floppy icon will be replaced, and if it’s by some company like Apple they will be heralded as genius for bringing the world into the 21st century and everyone else will jump on the bandwagon.

Just because no one else has taken the first step doesn’t mean Blender can’t.

How things work and operate are best when following standards, if they exist.

But icons do not follow standards, but convention. They are like the words we use to communicate with. We all jointly, collectively, decide which words are the current correct words to use. So if we are talking about cars and you suddenly use the word “автомобиль” the conversation will grind to a halt because that is not in our shared vocabulary.

In the end the only thing that is important is that we use an icon that the most people recognize as meaning “save”. That the image makes no sense is irrelevant. That is the “word” that society is using, right now, as an image placeholder for the concept of saving a file.

6 Likes

It’s certainly true that standards need to change when technology progresses to the point where a change would result in an improvement.

However because the concept of locally “saving a file” has itself not progressed, changing the “floppy” save icon will improve nothing. Literally nothing. It will not improve work speed, efficiency, or recognition. It is an utterly pointless change from an objective, practical standpoint; the only supportive argument that can be found is emotional - from a tiny minority of people who would just personally much rather some newer technology be represented in the save icon.

I’m sure somebody by now feels the “Triangle = Play, Square = Stop, Circle = Record, etc” standard of symbols for media functions, which is around 60 years old at this point if not older, is obsolete and should be replaced by “something” that symbolizes media functions “better”.

Likewise, the “I-inside an O” universal symbol for a power button, ought to be obsolete. Chances are, the switch on the front of your computer tower does NOT actually, physically complete or open a circuit that provides power to your computer - like the floppy save icon, it’s a “lie”. But, like the floppy icon, the power icon is never meant to be a literal description of what’s happening. Regardless of the actual mechanics of the process, the concept of turning your computer off or on has not changed, and it’s that concept that the icon is describing, not the process.

That’s why there’s nothing wrong with a floppy icon and never will be, no matter how old it ever gets. Even in the earliest days of the symbol when actual floppy disks were ubiquitous, the symbol wasn’t intended to actually, definitively depict what kind of media you were saving the file on - because you could just as easily be saving your file on the hard drive, which never looked anything remotely like a floppy disk. The icon is describing the function, nothing else.

8 Likes

Kaydet!? because (k)opy(ini) kaydet is suspiciously looking like save copy .

Once you know the UI of a program, the language is imo second nature - as long as the location of features remains the same.
Icons can help thou so I agree in that case.

Something like this?

download

How many people would get that this represents an SSD however. Also, how many people actually have SSDs in their computer anyway?

I have one, but only for the operating system, I save my blender files to a standard 3.5 inch magnetic hard drive and as such the SSD icon no better represents a “save” function to me than does a floppy disk.

In truth, there are so many different ways one can save a file (cloud storage, SSD, hard disk, USB stick, SD card, writeable CD/DVD/Blu-ray etc) that no one icon can adequately represent the options.

Surely in this case it’s better to stick with what appears to be the most commonly understood and widely used icon.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have been able to guess that was a ssd at first glance

1 Like

I prefer single color icons for some reason.
So many years of colored icons past in 2.79…

1 Like

The Save icon…
As I have already mentioned, I try not to look at the issue as a matter related only to the technology. From my point of view, the moment of data recording is the consolidation of a given state into a kind of milestone in the course of the creative process. A check point.
That’s where the Check Mark icon comes from. I agree that in the pure form of check mark, it is ambiguous and unclear. What’s more, it can be confused with the option icon (the check mark in a square).

Regardless of the strength of the pro-floppy lobby (check me in!), I submit a few sketches of the new icon for the “Save” function. The first proposals are related to the symbols that are already functioning in our program - the icon “add a new file” and the icon of a file itself. I combined them with the check mark in a way similar to visual semantics, designed for the above icons:
Save_3
Both options are legible and consistent stylistically with existing icons. The option of using the pure depiction of a file is particularly attractive to the followers of the Floppy, because the silhouette of the file icon is similar to the shape of a floppy disk.

It’s possible also to follow a different, more abstract route, better reflecting the trends that @William mentioned - a record (manual or automatic) of a data that marks characteristic points in the course of work. Milestone signs in a versioning system:
Save_4
Personally I like the flag the most.

6 Likes

File with check mark makes the most sense, flags make me think more of geodata or some map.

Sorry but those icons they don’t work as save icons. No one will be able to tell at a glance this is the save icon.
This just adds confusion and makes blender look unprofessional as hell. Like a software being developed by people with no clue of the standards.

It’s a shame that “personal” issues are affecting the way a software should look. BF should do something about it. :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

What the one on the left here? It looks like a little thumb drive.

1 Like

The thing is to not use the hardware depiction.

How about something like this?

It’s square enough to kind of evoke a floppy.

15 Likes

Now, that’s what I like!

3 Likes

Yep. Maybe give it that cut top right corner like a floppy just to drive the point home?

Save_5

12 Likes

In this mockup, not so far from the icon file wich is not very far away from the shape of a floppy disk at the same time.

1 Like

I’ts not universal, but probably passable.

It’s not clear what You’re reffering to.

A tad too busy. I’d get rid of the bent corner - see my post above Yours.

1 Like