New icons for Blender 2.8

idea

(Hadriscus) #3139

No they’re rasterized versions and Blender interpolates between different sizes for different interface scale values (read that somewhere on d.b.o).

(kayosIII) #3140

Download and save are conceptually very similar one is storing data from the internet locally, the other is storing data from from an application locally. I am not sure how much the distinction matters, and quite frankly as a concept it is probably easier to intuit.

@Ryxx,

Until jendrzych will get some time to write those guidelines, you can:

1. Download the .svg file from the first post (right-click > save image as);
  2. Install Inkscape (if you don’t have it already) from here;
  3. Open the .svg file and change the background color to a darker tint to see the icons: File - Document Properties - Page - Background color;
  4. Display the grid to see the pixel alignments: View - Page Grid. You may also switch the Display Mode between Normal and Outline (Ctrl+NumPad 5 two times) to see the shapes or you can use the Edit Path tool (F2) to select the paths and see the node placement.

It really worth taking a look at the masterpiece jendrzych is creating here, how all the shapes are cut, aligned and combined (when possible) for maximum clarity and clean objects. All my admiration for him for his work.

Regarding the further steps about compiling Blender, you can read some instructions for linux here.

(rombout) #3142

If find the checkmark for a save icon so weird. What is the big issue with the floppy, you could see it as flash drive now which is still used a lot. Or perhaps make it a drive icon.

A nice one would be the import icon, but since that is now already used its taken already.

If the need for a checkmark is needed, why not add a small document around the icon.
See below quick mockup, this makes more sense than a checkmark i think. This is because its show in combination with a checkmark. Where a checkmark by itself is more like a validation icon.

Version 2
save-icon-2-128x

Version 1
save-icon-128x

Another version with checkmark in the bottom right. A bit toned down with more detail towards the checkmark.
save-icon-3-128x

One thing i dont get is why documents have the small corner flipped to what we see in most cases. The small fold is most of the time on the right side

(Xury Greer) #3143

I like your mockups, but the issue with the checkmark is that it looks like a status: as if it’s telling you that the file has already been saved.

(rombout) #3144

Well the mark by it self is mostly used to make a confirmation. Most of the time you see such a mark for WM dialog or to confirm an action. So the single icon does make sense. But the icon by itself is not related to file-saving i think. That why i added the small doc icon.

Another version could be a drive icon or 3 bars indicating a drive or memory

(rombout) #3145

I think it makes sense, but than comes the question… Which ones are Primary? Why not make primary bolder in color so pure white and secundary and perhaps tertiary even less. Since icons speak more than words in most cases an icon can make the context clear in a quick glance.

Though i must say i like the clean look now with just a few icons. It takes a small bit of adjusting, sometimes i keep thinking its not finished yet orso, like some are missing.

I do think “Recover Last Session” should get an icon. Since this is quite an important function

(jendrzych) #3146

Recover Las Session - it already has got an icon. You can find it in BA22 cell. It’s just not used in the File menu, but found its place in the splash screen.

(rombout) #3147

What splashscreen you mean?

I know its there, they should add it as its quite an important one.

But same goes for edit menu, where i think undo and redo are the main actions but dont have an icon

(AFWS) #3148

Wouldn’t something like this be better for import/export. Anything with arrows pointing up/down makes me think upload/download.

(rombout) #3149

Indeed import/export looks nice like this. Perhaps a small thing though. Icons work better if they a sort of squared shaped. This one is now more wide than it is heigh.

I hope im explaining it properly

(jendrzych) #3150

That’s the main reason those icons do not look like in AFWS’s proposal, which is great BTW.

(rombout) #3151

I did quick adjustment. Yet they dont show as nice with this rotated arrow. It should perhaps have more of a mirrored look, since the function is the opposite.

import-icon-128x export-icon-128x

(jendrzych) #3152

I find it overcomplicated, especially in native 100% scale (14x14 pix). They’re so busy, that it makes their opposition not so much clear. Actually, downloading the data to the Blender equals importing this data, so… I’ll stick with current design.

(rombout) #3153

What you mean by “downloading data to Blender”???

(jendrzych) #3154

I referred to this:

(Dominik R ) #3155

Shouldn’t we stay away from all up-/download analogies when we actually just operate on the local filesystem? I’m referring to save/export/import as a whole here.
Because with asset management, possibly cloud based, there might be a need for icons that refer to actual downloading.

(Dorro) #3156

Curious… Why are there icons in the text menus? I find the icons here distracting and I think removing the icons would make the list more compact and easier to scan.

A bit of long winded off topic banter

A contextual pop up on mouse over with configurable delay, or left/middle/right (whatever floats your boat) click for each entry, showing the icon (perhaps to click and change icon to another you prefer) linked to the entry with a short description, keyboard shortcut and config and ability to add icon to a header or quick bar and conversely a similar mouse over pop up/click for icons residing in the UI outside of the menus/lists would have more utility and improve discoverability (sic) without adding permanent clutter if consistent and ubiquitous throughout the UI. I can see the utility of icons in a text list, say the depsgraph or collections that add information at a glance or quick action on click like the visibility toggle represented by an open or closed eye. There are many ways to reduce clutter and increasing discoverability without reducing utility, for example clicking on an icon in the GUI to load a file instead of typing a bunch of text in the CLI. Hold down keyboard shortcut, wait for pop up showing icon, short description, change shortcut, show conflict, add icon somewhere etc…

(rombout) #3157

I dont thank that’s completely true, as that my view on this. I do think the current method of showing less icons and only show those which are the primary actions of a menu should have an icons. An icon makes it much easier to indentify a certain action. You can sport without reading something.

Just for the sake of conversation:

The theory first

The main purpose of usability is to increase efficiency by reducing the amount of time and effort (physical and/or mental) to perform a specific task. I hope we agree with this. Taking into account the mental effort needed for each specific task, I think it was already mentioned previously in this thread the ascending order of characteristics which demand more effort. The easiest to process are the colours. You go and pick a specific colour with almost no processing power. The next in row are the basic shapes. Then, the signs (even those without a specific meaning). At the end are the words. But there is a condition: the order before is true as long as there is enough perceived differentiation to avoid perception conflicts. Picking between 5 shades of uncertain tint of magenta is far more demanding than picking between very distinct colours. So it can be safe to say that 5 shades of magenta gives us a cluttered environment. The same goes for the basic shapes (choose between polygons with 8, 10 and 12 sides), the symbols and words.

The lack of differentiation basically removes the advantage brought by the use of an efficient criterion.

In the images below, which version seems easier to follow and use?

blender_2_7_file_menu

blender_2_7_mesh_snap

Let’s see what we got by now in Blender 2.8x…

blender_2_8_file_menu

blender_2_8_snap

How is 2.8x regarding these two menus?

To me, the File menu seems to go in the good direction (with one big issue, though: the save icon) while the Snap menu is bringing another type of interaction which removes all the processing power needed to decode colours, shapes, signs or words: the muscle memory. So, it’s ok in the end, even if the brain cries for more structure and uniformity in this pie menu.

The biggest issue I have with the Save icon in the File menu is that it triggers a false perception. When I saw the check mark there, alone, my reflex was: “What? Is the file already saved?” From this point of view, 2.7x was better because you can see more icons with check marks and you can draw the conclusion that “Ok, it’s just a graphical sign”. But here, you suddenly are unsure if the image is indicating the status of the file or only points to a menu item.

Anyway, the release is few months away; let’s see how the things are evolving.