New K.S. project claims it can create a lego-based electronic utopia (Phonebloks)

In short, imagine the phone as a pile of blocks connected to a central board, you place the display block on the front and the speaker, processor, RAM, and other feature blocks at the back, the following project claims that they will create an electronics revolution by proposing a phone that is built like Legos out of parts that all companies will build after they toss away the whole idea of competition in favor of collaboration.

Right now, this is just a concept, but I don’t see how you would expect one man to expect all of the companies to work together on part blocks when you can already mix parts from different competing brands inside of a PC.

On top of that, I think there is a good idea in upgrading a device by say, unsnapping the motherboard and snapping in a new one, but not in this type of fashion as it raises questions how you would get the wiring to work. (what I think is more like an existing skeleton with wiring that has docks the snap-in parts attack to, something which might be plausible as existing PC’s already have docks that you can plug hardware into).

So after seeing the video, does it seem dubious on how you would get the parts to work after snapping them together, or could this guy be the next great innovator?

Seems like an interesting idea, but for this to work wouldn’t all phones have to look very similar to one another. If everything fits together you would think that they would have very similar designs shape wise. I don’t really like the idea of having the same type of phone every year. It doesn’t leave a lot of room for improving the aesthetics or how the phone fits, and feels in your hand. Also, what about when when phones are your glasses or your wristwatch, are they to going to be standardized like this? It’s trading uniqueness and evolving styles for efficiency, I’ll pass.

Seems like I have waited a hundred years for this. Wow! So amazing.

Aren’t all phones basically the same shape anyway? You have a rectangle, defined by the size of the display (or display and buttons in case of non-smartphones), and then you have some differently rounded edges depending on the manufacturer.

Look at Anti-rep-rap, its part of the idea behind project Wrectified, micro cubic components… each cube is both a component, and a 3d routing system for power and data.

No, some phones are bigger or smaller by about an inch or so, this is good for people with very large or small hands. Even if phones were all the same size, and same shape, having everything standard might delay innovations in design. How do you know they have the perfect size and shape down for phones now? In the recent past I believe phones were actually smaller than they are now, so if there were standard modules back then it might have taken a lot longer to make it so everyone was on the same page about making the phone size bigger, or maybe it wouldn’t have happened at all. Changing things by committee can take some doing.

What about if each cluster was standalone, and sent messages via high level functions, and commands and adresses, so each phone was a cluster of components, chosen by the user based on need

My biggest question about phones, tablets and other computing devices made from these type of components is how the wiring is supposed to work so you have a working device.

Modern devices today need to have all their parts wired up to each other so they can receive the needed data and power and display something on the screen. If you have everything in small lego-style bricks, then how will the data and power flow between the components so you have something that just works instead of some fancy brick (and do note that this will need to work in any possible combination dreamed up by the customer).?

What do you mean by that? Can you put that in a different way? I get confused by tech jargon, and I looked at your anti rep rap thing and couldn’t really understand that either.

Sorry if I’m the only one who can’t understand :confused:

Ok, so each cube is a 3d routing system, a emf power input antenna, and an nested component. Think of each cube as a standalone computer, powered by electromagnetic fields, and each client adds resources etc.

So you assemble the device, it maps itself and assigns adresses to all cubes, some clusters could act as a gpu, some as a cpu, etc. Some cubes can be a led one side etc.

So each component can route data through it, while performing its own tasks.

So instead of 01010101000100 each cube could send packets up to 256 k that are instructions, not binary… like (xyz destination location) (data type) (data)

My 3d logic nodes do this in the game engine, but are still pretty buggy.
If some one who knew how to code were to take a look at them… there fresh in team projects wrectified, my pc died…

@ BluePrintRandom

That all sounds great!:smiley: So it’s kind of like a mini internet when they come together? What would be the point of having this in the BGE, and sending 3d coordinates? I guess what I’m asking is - What’s the overall goal of all that?

The 3d cord is an address, so like for packet routing,

The data could be a vector even, like a color or a trajectory.

The end goal in game will be to control puzzles and enemies, like SCA logic, but it sends data with rays.

Example
Module robot head spots player with ray sensor, it then propigates the property “Player_Loc_xyz” , this is passed through a torso, to arms, that are looking for this data type, so they then run code to aim and shoot, or grab etc.

Module Legs would use a* to try and get to the target etc.

But since the nodes can be triggered by anything (sensor) and then send any property as data, the applications are almost endless.

Think lasers passing data, through nodes, and the nodes can each have there own logic.

The idea is the player will be able to use pieces from hostile robotics to build friendly systems, weapons, and solve puzzles.

Some recent news regarding the modular phone concept; Motorola (Google) has made a deal with a company known as 3D Systems and, believe it or not, is actually moving forward on making the concept a reality.

Now if they can create something on a larger scale called PC-Bloks and allow us to build and upgrade towers in a way akin to snapping legos together, I would actually be able to do annual upgrades for a better experience and more performance with Blender. :cool:

This would be good as it saves on plenty of resources that would not mean a complete new system from scratch.