New list of 9 old men

Now that the 9 wise men (or was it 9 old men?) are gone, who would be the best candidates to take their place? Of course everything has been done already by the original 9 wise men, but still there is a lot to talk about concerning animation techniques.

I don’t have a long list, but this is as far as I could come (alive presently):

1. Richard Williams
  2. Don Bluth
  3. Eric Goldberg
  4. John Lasseter
  5. Jason Osipa (His don’t stare book sets him apart from all the others that never really went in depth on this subject)
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?

Do know of animators that could be the 9 wise men?

how about Nick Park? or do you just mean CG animators? :slight_smile: still, there’s a lot we can learn from Stop-Action animation…CG and plasticine like Wallace and Gromit are kinda similar…

That’s for sure! I should add them too. So in fact any kind of animator: CG, hand drawn and stop motion. And since we’re talking stop motion, Tim Burton should be on the list too. I’ll try to put as many animators that wrote books or are actively teaching. Like Eric Goldberg: he’s sure not the only animator at Disney, but it seems that the notes he made during workshop learning from the old masters were circulating in animators circle. He made the book “Character animation crash course”. That’s what’s make him a wise man in my opinion. Passing the knowledge to the next gen.

I think that John Kricfalusi (Ren and Stimpy) should be on the list too. He brought cartoon for TV on another level. Very strong poses, favors, silhouettes and timing. Kind of an modern Tex Avery.

On a side note, I was watching some very old B/W Popeye episodes and it is just remarkable. It’s from the rubber hose animation period, but it is anything but that! It seems that the 12 principles have been very appropriately applied. I even ran into an episode with an animated stick figure. Very well animated and very educational. I should upload those episodes some time (I’ve heard that Popeye’s copyright expired so it is public domain now?).

can japanese guys like Hayao Miyazaki be wise too?

woah, yes, definitely Miyazaki, and Tim Burton! :smiley:

I think i’ve actually only seen 2 of Tim Burton’s film in their entirety…Corpse Bride and Alice in Wonderland…seen bits of Nightmare before Christmas.
the animation behind Corpse Bride was really fascinating - the way they had the faces set up with micro gear systems…and the visual style is always interesting

as for Miyazaki, seen lots of his stuff, Nausicaa, Howl’s Moving Castle, Totoro, Kiki, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away (didn’t like it much, found it very weird…I’d probably have to see it again)…all good stuff :smiley:

does it have to be 9 people? :wink: seems there could be lots of great candidates…probably people from ILM and WETA, Dreamworks…someone in the BF?

edit - wow, i seem very enthusiastic, lol

Glen Keane
Brad Bird
Ed Catmull

*honorary mention:Walt Stanchfield

Ed Catmull is not an animator, though without him Pixar would probably not be into CG. :slight_smile:

well, I was wondering if they absolutely had to be animators, or maybe just people who’ve greatly influenced animation, regardless of whether they’re animators or directors… :stuck_out_tongue:

I would say rather animators. Like knowing the techniques to bring life to puppets and drawings. So a list should be composed of animators, and maybe some directors can be part of the list too. Tim Burton is an animator and a director. But of Brad Bird I think he’s only a director. But it seems that the Pixar animators learned a lot from him. So it would be fair to mention him too. I prefer to list people too that are doing seminars, writing books, teaching etc.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone

sylvain chomet, Mamoru Oshii, Miyazak

The original 9 laid the foundation for animation, unless something revolutionary comes along everyone else is just a follower.