new mapping node in cycles

what are the new features of this new mapping node in cycles ?

here are some test i did

what are these new Vector and normal modes
how to use these ?

thanks

I saw this post the day you made it. I just postponed any experimentation until some free time which never came.

I must say that some of the results puzzle me. There must be an explanation. The devs don’t do anything without a reason… But I still haven’t found any good one… And I won’t even talk about use cases.

At least, some of the weirdest results could be used to break the monotony of the (oh so too limited) generated textures. :smiley:

Sorry, that’s all I can say for now. I’m starting to revise my ancient languages to summon the dev… :wink:

let me ask question in main thread for cycles
would be nice to get some comments and see how this works

here is the old rendering with 2.68

thanks

There was a small discussion in the mailing list about how one person wasn’t able to use a single node to rotate a texture (like one of a diamond) to align it and then scale it without getting skewed results, so these new mapping options in part change the order of how the transforms are applied so people have more flexibility in mapping without having to use more than one mapping node.

nice but can we see some examples so we can better understand how what and when to !

thanks

You are much more experienced than I, Ricky, so I’m probably missing some bit of info, but I don’t see the purpose of doing these tests without specifying what the input vector was to a node that accepts a vector input and performs one or more transformations on that vector before sending the new vector to the output.

well in this case it is something new for almost everyone
does not matter how much experience you have whit blender!

i only did a simple wave procedural texture on a flat plane to see what the different mode are doing
and i too miss informations to use these new modes!
and hope that peoples who know more about it can give us more details and how to better understand this new node!

i’d like to understand how it works and learn how to !

i can show the simple nodes set up or upload sample file if needed!

thanks

The way I experienced it was this (purely from personal memory):
In 2.68a the mapping node allowed a transform of both rotation and scale. In some development build afterward something changed so that this was only possible through the chaining of mapping nodes. Order was also important. This was fixed by changing the mapping node to what is in the current build. So comparing 2.68a and the build is not going to be all that informative. You will have to find the build immediately before the addition of this node, and the current build and compare the two. The new node also allows you specify which element you want to transform without affecting the others, but in practice this is going to be hard to see because they are rather interdependent. If you are using a lot of vector math you might find this a bit more useful than otherwise.
The information in the wiki about the difference between generated (texture origin is at bottom left front of object) , object (tex origin at center), camera (tex origin at camera) and window (tex o at bottom left of window) is still applicable. Texture transformations move the origin and axes. Hope this helps.

Both mapping nodes are muted here…

Here the texture has been transformed, but the other node is muted, so the shading vector is unchanged.

Now the orientation of the shading vector has been rotated. It looks like the light is coming from a different direction. It only affects this material though!

what you said about origins for the Texture mapping orgin - Object generated have not change from 2.68 to 2.69
it is the mapping node itself that has change it now offer somethng like 4 different modes

1- point
2 - texture
3 - vecor
4 - normal

these are the new things i want to learn how to use and when they are usefull!

these modes where not there in 2.68 and might not be in 2.69 either may be only in 2.7

thanks

Can’t remember why I made this screenshot except perhaps to show the shading vector transformed without the texture…

The texture is transformed but the point location change is muted here…

Moving the point location changes the virtual location of the object and now shades it as if it were somewhere else. But the direction of the light is unchanged. Note the shadow discrepancy!

I’m sure you know all about this, Ricky, so I am only posting this for any one else who might be needing this information who is not as advanced as yourself.

can you upload file
will do some testing tomorrow

why is ther a red line between input and ouput on map node ?

thanks

In what way does the new mapping options help when setting up textures and Normal maps? Is it more accurate than the old node…

What about uses for both the Mapping node & Vector Transform?

can you upload file

I think you have enough here to make your own test file, non?

why is there a red line between input and ouput on map node ?

That is the mute function press M with a node selected.

If you are testing the vector transform and the new mapping nodes in a test build you might want to be aware that there appears to be a conflict with the OSL shader checkbox - probably just with the vector transform node, but I just found the glitch so I haven’t done a lot of experimenting.

The screenshots below are taken with the only change being the OSL shader box being checked.

It’s not a huge deal unless you’re trying to use and write OSL shaders, which unfortunately is how I found it…

well if it is a bug then report i
now i see the vetrro transfform wiht same names!
darn more complicated then i tought at first now!
i’ll begin dont some tests on a cube

@Druban
does it means that you must use the vector transform node in fron of the mapping node now
if you don’t use it the default would be point !

salut

ok here is first test with cube and no vector transform node

here is render with vector transform node set to point

thanks

Attachments

here is with vector transform normal mode

here is with vector transform Vector mode

thanks

here is another test 2 mapping nodes and different angles

why use point for the normal ?

thanks

I think there is a problem with those tests:
when using Generated and Object mode it work fine, because it relative to the object.
but when we use the Camera and Window mode, the origin is not related to the object so when you render two cubes in one render you will get different results for each cube on the same settings.
and if you change the settings the mess will begin…

I think that if you want to realy test this node you need to test it on only one cube, without moving it or the camera and with lights so you get one render per setup and not many cubes with different setup on one render.

also it good to do it for the Normal entrance of the diffuse node to see if it behave different when using the texture to change the normals of the object using the bump node for that.

sorry for my poor english.

your right for teh window and camera view
but i tried to take same point of view for all render
so it should be relatively close to each other

but i will try with only one cube and see waht it gives for high precision
still looking for how the mapping is done in 3D!

is it per face like XY ZX ZY ect.
and is this 2D or 3D

thanks