New modeling technique.....

Hi guys,
Im new to this forum so I didnt quite know where to put this.

I discovered a new modeling technique and wanted to ask you guys what you think of the technique and my tut for it.

Heres the link: http://www.cyphertxt.com/blendertechniquetut.html

Thanks

=+=

Please reply, I know you guys are reading the tut!

I just want some feedback thats all.

Thanks.

=+=

Hey, I like the idea. I’ll see if I can use it anytime soon. Nice tut, too, by the way.

Wow you allowed a hole hour before begging for replies! :wink: I know what it’s like. I am going to do the same later today.

Like it - the tutorial is a good one. I like that it is based on a bit of lateral thinking. There is so much that can be achieved with the basic tools demonstrations like this really get people thinking creatively.

Keep at it - want more of this!

Thanks for the encouragment.

Heres a pic for theose of you whos apetites are not yet wet.

http://blog.cyphertxt.com/images/48.jpg

Thanks again, I will write more soon!

=+=

Nice,
allows for a lot of organic fast modelling.
It could have used some more pictures though.
It takes a while before you understand everything.
Also, I haven’t seen anyone here mention the word cage instead of mesh.
P

Well, the reason I use the word cage is becuase it generates a cage-like structure.

As for more pictures, Im not so sure where more would be apropriate… Ill have another look…

=+=

I like it.
Very understandable. I personally believe that extrusion is probably the most important modeling technique there is. It’s how I make most stuff.

That is awesome. I could imagine doing somthing similar on a human-like model too. Great abstracts. I’ve never tried abstract modeling, but I’ve seen a few tuts and this is one of the faster ones.

back in days before face/edge/vert select modes, you could accomplish equivalent results if you a) subdivided mesh b) alt-b vert (or face) loops and proceed as you described. I wrote me a script which randomly selected and deleted faces to do cage-y stuff.

The idea itself isn’t new, but the results are nice :slight_smile:

Actually, that’s one way to make things rest upon eachother (not sure that’s clear) – edit the “base” mesh, select the faces wherethe new object will be, duplicate, extrude (just like you said > escape + alt-s) then join them if necessary. Here’s a pic I made that way (the cake bits on the antlerbeast):

http://thevoid.operaglasses.org/images/lina.jpg

Great tutorial
thanks!

The value of a technique IMO is how many different useful things can you make with it. I will say it’s an interesting approach for making an uncommon object. So, what else can you make with it?

A closely fitting mask for a head for example?

!Rocky: Thats actually how I came up with the technique, I need to have something wrapped tightly around something else. And then I saw that it also has other aplications. Like my example.

Oh well, At least I got a nice tutorial out of it…

I think ill write some more soon.

As for what else you can make? Im working on something at the moment. Ill post it once im done.

=+=

The first thing that comes to mind is vegetation growing on things – you know, like ivy clinging to a column or something. The idea is to duplicate faces of the column, extrude them etc then separate them and join them to the rest of the plant.

/$0.02