New Pc.

I’m considering buying The Elder Scrolls Oblivion after enjoying Morrowind. My question is if my PC can handle it. My graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce 5200FX,(The website for the game says the minimum GFX cards are the FX Series.)My PC has 1 gigabyte of RAM, a Pentium 4 Processor, I’m not sure right now, because i am not at my computer,(I’m at school) I’ve almost bought this game 3 times, (ended up with Dark Messiah Might and Magic, EA Strategy Pack, and The Movies.) It can handle all of those games, plus Half Life 2, and GTA San Andreas. Please Reply.:yes:

Seeing as Oblivion has many sliders to slide, and options to turn on or off, I say yes. You wont get the marvelous scenery, but roleplaying is still there :slight_smile:

PS: Role playing has gone down quite a bit in Oblivion, so you might want to watch some movies on youtube and stuff…

well, i looked at videos, and one of the features i like is the physics system. and that when you attack, it’s if the sword hits the enemy, rather than you accuracy skill.

Although this comment will be of no help to if oblivion will work with your PC or not…

I got oblivion for my PS3, I LOVE IT!!

but anyway… :ba:

Your system is a bit underpowered to run Oblivion. There are some mods available, though I forget their names, that will allow Oblivion to run on cards as old as Radeon 7500’s without a lot of graphic loss. Perhaps someone knows their names?

Cheers,
John

Oblivion is a great game and fortunately on my PC i can run it with full settings @ 60fps :smiley: but, for older computers there is a mod that downgrades the shaders etc. so it can be played with legacy hardware with only a small visual difference.

http://www.oldblivion.com/

Check it out, i think it will help you alot.

:slight_smile:

You will need to instal a patch that enable an ultra low quality setting to play it well on your rig i’m afraid.

What system do you have? I running full flat-out settings and it’s about 40-50 outdoors.

Oh, and thank you for naming the mod. I had a hunch it was called “Old Oblivion”!

Cheer,
John

I can play it decent on my AMD Athalon 3000+ with 1 gig of ram and an Nvidia 6600 GT. I get decent FPS on that machine With most of the settings turned up. No grass drawing and most everything else is between half-way and full. I guess it would be between mid and high quality settings. If i can get more than 30-40 FPS consistently with a game that’s all i need. If you HAVE to have 60+ FPS for a game expect to turn the settings down. Oh, you can lower the resolution in Oblivion to like 640x480 and personally i think it actually looks better that low. I find most games look better at 800x600 or lower… Makes everything look more consistent and stuff… i rarely play at anything higher than that, even on my Dual 7900GT system.

So yeah, i get those FPS with mid-high settings, but the game is running at 640x480… i dunno if you can stand that or not… personally, i think it looks terriffic, and the game is pretty fun so long as you don’t mind scrapping a character or two in the learning process of the levelling system :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a good game by the way!

I think i’ll wait till,(or if)i get a better PC, but in games i don’t mind low graphics, it just matters if it’s fun.

If your PC can run Dark Messiah Might and Magic, you should have no problem with Oblivion. Dark Messiah seems to put more stress on my system than Oblivion does, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I have about a mid-range PC (Athlon X2 3800+ (OC’ed to 2.5 GHz, 2 Gigs of RAM, Nvidia 8500gts) and I can play both games no problem. I’d buy it, I still play it constantly, and I have had it almost since release. My old Nvidia 6600gt seems to run better than my 8500, I should have kept it :frowning:

I used to run it medium quality/res on my GeForce6600 and sometimes (large outdoor scenes) it was probably hitting 15fps. Most of the time it was playable though.

However, now on the GeForce8800GTS I have, 1620x1080 all the settings maxed out, I think it’s pinned at 60fps.

So yeah, having owned a 5200 once, I’d say you’d be pushing it on a stock install. Still, it’s a great game.

Yeah im gonna wait till i get a good enough PC

Something to be aware of; you can play the game at low graphics settings and if there is a particularly picturesque scene you come across, you can pop into the options and boost the setting to the max to enjoy some truly breathtaking views. Then turn it back down and be on your way.

(excuse me if my english is not good)
I think that if you set the most of the options at minimum it will run well. I’ve played with a Nvidia Geforce6200 with 512MB (and later with 1GB) and I had no problems (with most of the options disabled). Everyone likes to play games with good graphics, but they are not the whole. And if you buy a new PC, take the graphic card into account! hehe.

Bye.

Yeah, i’ve decided to save up for pretty good PC, On Ibuypower.com, i made a PC, here is whats in it:Standard Case Power Supply,
AMD Athlon™64 X2 4000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology,
Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink,
Asus M2A-VM AMD 690G Chipset w/6-channels, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Single PCI-E MB,
1024MB [512MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module,
evga Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS w/DVI + TV Out,
160 Gb Hard drive,
18X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive,
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard,
600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System,
Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100),
Normal Keyboard and Mouse,
All this for:$593.00
Somewhere i heard CyberPower PC is cheaper though.

Cyber Power Version:
CASE: New! Raidmax Kuroshio Mid-Tower 420W Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window (Silver Color)
CPU: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD: (Socket AM2)Asus M2A-VM AMD 690G Chipset DDR2/800 SATA RAID PCI-Express MBoard w/Radeon X1250 Graphic, GbLAN, IEEE1394, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)1GB (2x512MB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB 16X PCI Express (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO CARD 2: NONE
LCD Monitor: NONE
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (80GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Data Hard Drive: NONE
Optical Drive: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: NONE
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
$575.00

What the hell, all of that for less than a grand? Damn, i need to upgrade my computer… My current PC is absolute garbage compared to those specs… Well, my video cards are better, but only cause i have two of them :stuck_out_tongue:

If i do get that PC, i might just upgrade the Graphics card later, but for now, thats all i need.

About the AMD 4000+ X2. I have one and don’t like it very much. It aint that fast. It’s a bit faster than my old amd 2800xp.

But for that game it will run smooth. I have a nvidia 7600gs and it can played that game like a breeze (with the 2800xp).