This script is meant to help you examine the parenting hierarchy and structure of your armature’s bones. It’s mainly meant for testing and to help prepare automatic rig creating scripts, and not really for anything directly practical.
The script uses the compositor (node editor) and its math convertor nodes to draw the parenting tree, since it’s probably the easiest way to represent the tree in a node view.
It’s best to avoid using it on production files, as it will delete your existing compositing nodes in order to make room for the parenting tree node structure.
How to use:
- Open a script in text editor.
- Open the node editor, and select the compositing nodes button.
- Make sure that “Use Nodes” is checked and active.
- In the 3D view, select your armature.
- Run the script.
- View the node editor to see the generated tree.
Notes and precautions:
- ! This script will delete all existing compositing nodes !
- This script works only in blender 2.66 and onwards (hopefully, tested on 2.66 only). It will produce errors in earlier versions due to missing functionality.