New Smoke Sim Tests

Hey guys, I’m just testing the new improvements to Blender’s smoke sim. So far I’ve gotten pretty decent results, but they could be better yet. When I figure everything out, I plan on making a nice tutorial.

Here I am testing the new fire simulator:

They are pretty sweet effects. Are they easy to set up?

Thanks man, they are actually pretty easy to set up - nothing too complicated at all.

In this test, it shows the amount of difference changing the high resolution size makes. It starts with 0 and ends with 5.

This was baked with 96 divisions and 3 high resolution divisions.

Sweet! Ohh noooo 96x3hres :frowning: Thanks for the comparo thats really helpfull. I think that smoke doesnt scale like water (blobby = small) rather scale changes the nature of the fuel. So the first one looks oily to me rather than candle like. Also do you use a lot of turbulence?

looks sweets man, looking forward for the tutorial

Mind if I ask how long it took you to bake that last smoke test? and how long to render?

I think that smoke doesnt scale like water (blobby = small) rather scale changes the nature of the fuel.

It definitely doesn’t scale like water, but not quite like what you said. Basically the resolution determines the size of the “blobs”, and the high resolution scale determines how agitated those blobs are, giving the impression of scale. I hope that makes sense, but its a lot harder to write it out than explain it. That is why it starts out very smooth and candle - like. And, yes, I had the max vorticity set because I thought it looked good for the fire ball.

Mind if I ask how long it took you to bake that last smoke test? and how long to render?

I don’t remember exactly, but I should be keeping track. Probably about 45 min. to bake, and 2 hours to render, but that is just my guess and I could be totally off. I will try to write down the times next time.

really cool!

hope for volume render in cycles soon.

I look forward to the tutorials please let us know. They look Great.