New Terra - Diablo meets Fallout

Just testing out a background image behind the menu. How does it look?

Edit:
Go check out a demo of the menu

Well I have just finally uploaded a demo of the menu. Check it out. I have it separated right now as I work on the engine and make it more object oriented…gawd I should have done that from the start, now its being a pain. Mainly the engine doesn’t want to act right unless its called first. which I do not want to have it load first or what not… might have to though…

You should turn it around…diablo in a fallout world. Running around in huge underground caves and dungeons. Go above land and go through dark forests and small towns. Right now the idea is kinda lame…a diablo on mars? Mars/aliens and all that kind of stuff is so corny…it’s not fantastic as in fantasy-great. It’s just corny and belongs to american trash culture.

The story has nothing to do with with game. The doable meets fallout refers to the gameplay. If you read the Gdd or really anything other than the title you would have realized that there are no aliens. It’s humans on a transformed mars. Mars in the game resembles earth in geological details. Also there are no space ships and uber tech, nothing scifi really about it. More of a steam punk/industrial feel. I almost felt offended by the comment till I realized that you did not put forth any effort in reading much. If you did you would never have said anything about aliens. There are no aliens, no monsters, no irradiated creatures, none of that nonsense. Only odd things you will fight are animals and psychos. Also you mention American trash culture. As opposed to which other. I get tired of other cultures turning there noses up to americans. He’ll most of the new aged technology today is due to Americans(not all I realize this). Yet still the common currency is American dollars and the common language is english. I hope I did no offend to many people but seriously, why does everyone have to dog America. I did not say that your lack of research and literary skills is cause from your culture. I don’t plan on making much more of this. Read more about the game you try and insult before you post. It makes you look stupid.

Well I want to find some kind of beauty in whatever I play, watch or read. Beauty is something that benefits us psychologically. I fail to see beauty in a brown clothed guy running around in a red dusty wasteland killing psychopaths with machine guns. There are no interesting archetypes of human emotion. No beautiful landscape or wind to give you any emotions what so ever.

Watching your screenshots and reading a little bit about what the game is suppose to be. I get the impression that this is aimed to be nothing but a huge time killer. Just like 99% of all other browser games. Why should we join a project that doesn’t want to express any emotion at all. Running around shooting things for no reason is boring, maybe it would be funnier if you had some friends to do it with. But for that we got Left 4 dead and Call of Duty.

The only good 2D games are rpgs with GOOD storylines and sidescrollers. All the rest is a waste of time, didn’t you know that? And exactly what in your first post doesn’t suggest to us it’s just going to be like every other shitty browser game in existence?

More misconceptions.
One, it’s been terraformed. Meaning, it’s not a red dust rock anymore. It has water, air and plants.
Two, it’s not a brown clothed guy.
Three, the game is actually derived from a d&d session that has been recorded and continued to do so.
Four, you think that I expect this game to be the next big hit? The next l4d, or wow? Your sadly mistaken. If you had spent more than two seconds reading this, which none of the real story has been released to the public, you will realize this is a learning project. It’s meant for people to join and learn. Not a game to finish. If it does that would be awesome. This project is about knowledge and experience. Ayone is welcome regardless of skill. If the person has the drive to learn I will help in any way that I can.

Oh so it’s an earth like planet with purple palm trees and red water? Or is it a planet that looks like earth? I have never found the idea of purple palm trees very appealing. Taking mars and put earthlike attributes on it and change the colors of it. Suggests to me that you think it’s too hard to make something that non alien people can relate to.

Industrial and cyberpunk, so you are going to put goth/emo culture on mars. Add some psychopaths and give the player a machine gun to shoot all the emos down? So this game is for the sadistic goth/emos that hate themself? Are you replacing the emos knife with this game instead?

This is a learning project? To learn what? How to model machine guns? Even a learning project can aim for beauty and become something inspiring. So far judging from your comments this is going to be the fantasy of a lost sick mans imagination. I suggets you rework the idea and I might consider helping you out.

You have no idea what mars terraformation is do you? Non alien people? This is not a space sic fi shooter, stop trying to associate this with ever other game out there. Also steam punk is a different culture then goth/emo, just thought i’d let you know. If you are going to keep spatting about how poor of a story this project is, please show me a game on the market that has you in the credits. A game that is main stream and you were apart of it. Until I see something like that this conversation is over. You are basically trolling at this point. The story has no reason to change to please one person. This is my creation and it will stay that way. This is a learning project and as long as people are willing to pears and improve themselves this project will continue. Also note that this does not use bge. The learning is also on my end to. So far you are the only one who does not like it and I would like you to either stop trolling and leave, or put your pride aside and join. This project does not need someone so bad that it will change it’s self. Nor will I.

The only ones who has liked it are the ones commenting. That is 1 page of comments and over 500 views. Maybe 5 people liked the idea, the rest 495 people weren’t interested and probably didn’t like the idea. That is why they didn’t comment on it. The only reason I commented is because I got a pm from you, all I have said was only to make you think on how to improve this project and make it more popular. The difference between a true artist and a logical programmer, is that the programmer only see functions. While the artist only sees beauty. As an artist I’m giving you (the programmer) an advice. You are the one that is too proud or too blind to see that there is nothing beautiful about this idea at all. I’m the compass and you are the lost sailor. Stay lost and this project is bound to fail badly. Follow the compass and maybe this will turn into something that could be called beautiful or psychologically benefital to some. Good luck…

There are hundreds of posts with the same numbers. Yes I pmed you. Also note that I am a programmer, and I do it professionally. Also not a designer I work with who also is a professional is on this same project. Just because someone does not post or join does not mean they did not like this idea. Some are on other projects or wanting to start there own. I also have had various other designers that I work with like this idea. So let me ask you straight out. What specifically would you change or do differently.

I’m a professional sleeper. You being a “professional” isn’t in your favor at all. And looking at this I doubt your artistic friend is any more a professional than you are. Let us skip the titles and talk to each other as the primates we are alright?? What I would change, well first of all the game has to be powerful. It has to empower the player emotionally. For this an rpg would be ideal. But you have already chosen a genre.

Your idea is based on anger and sickness. Only the angry player would go online and play a game where you shoot psychopaths heads off. Only sick people would find it emotionally empowering to kill of the part they hate about themself. There has to be a reason for the player to want to blow the head off whoever they are suppose to hate. Making the player be on another planet gives the emotional feeling of wanting to explore.

Sadly exploring 2D enviroments isn’t very exciting. It’s very booring, it’s like watching an ant running around on a brick path. Therfore I suggest you remove the wanting to explore feeling and concentrate on your idea about hate. The target audience is suppose to be sadistic teens that are both sexually and emotionally confused?

Well then I think you should start with something they can relate to. What they lost by going into their teen years. Start by introducing the player to something that is beautiful. If it’s suppose to be on another planet. Take the one thing that reminds them about earth, nature and plants. Somehow the humans have been able to make life as we know it survive on this planet.

But something, or someone takes it away. Reduces mars to the dessolate red dusty wasteland it really is. These psychopaths (confused people)…are the ones responsible. They kill off all plants and everything the player can relate to. Now what you got left is a wasteland filled with people that due to lack of oxygen have gone mental.

And join these (psychopaths) in gangs…these psychopaths who you really should give a tribal name. Follow their religous leader who is trying to control the planet mars and use the humans (sane people’s) technology to build a civilization that one day could because of a certain mineral that only exists deep under mars surface, buid powerful weapons and at some time into the future invade earth.

But this is only their plan. Now the player (sexually confused emo) takes control of the human character after the intro is done. It’s important that the intro is emotionally empowering and has given the player an inspirational idea of beauty. When the beauty is destroyed but what the game describes as the part of the emos mind he hates. (That is why he is cutting himself). The player will feel hate…

Now base the character the player should be playing as on everything that is beautiful about modern humans. Make him a mentally strong special soldier that is independent and fights for something and not for someone. Now the player has to survive and find a way to restore the endangered civilization of mars.

And in the process of it blow peoples heads off. At the end you give back what the player felt in the start of the game. This game would be like walking thorugh a emos teenage years. It’s a sucky idea and not very tasteful at all. But it’s your idea, in order to improve it I suggest you do the above.

But if I was you, I would change everything and create something that isnt’t appreciated only by sick, lost, confused goths and emos. Good luck with your project…

EDIT: Also emos hate school, so make these psychopaths try to enslave the player. Then the emo within the player will rebel and he has a better reason to shoot peoples heads off. Good luck :wink:

So you think people who play a certain type of game are " sadistic teens that are both sexually and emotionally confused". Most games are based off of some kind of anger or sickness. Hell Left 4 Dead is about a lot of anger, and a lot of sickness. As well as the Fallout Series, Quake Series, Max Payne Series, Oblivion Series. Hell most games have some kind of sadness and pain to it. Wow you really do judge a book by its cover. Also note this is NOT a 2d game. its 3d. Once again assuming that this game will take on a characteristic of the other games mentioned. GAME PLAY not graphics. I figured you could tell by the demo, guess not. Also what you describe is similar to my storyline except that the planet stays the same.

What is taken is more emotional to a person then a planet. The player plays a character that his brothers have been brutally beaten to the point of almost death while the sister has been raped to the point of being catatonic. This will hit a lot of people at home because it would be a family matter and make the game just that more personal. If you take Mars make it green then back red again, most people who play still wont care about it. Because the current state reflects the game state. Plus that sounds to much like Total Recall anyways. I don’t see how a dying planet will bring out much emotion in a person these days. Considering that out planet is in a sad shape and I dont see a wide spread band togetherness to help save gaia in the teens, much less the target audience that I am aiming for. Which is not just teens.

Also note that these “Psychopaths” as you call them are not crazed maniacs. The story portrays them as criminals that have been left to there own devices. Yes there are gangs. I have already planned out three out of the many others. Once again you would realize that if you read some of it.

So you would have the Player Character some super soldier? yea that will separate the player from the playable character. Also note that this story has been brought to my peers. None of which are sick, lost, confused or emo. I am 26, with a wife and kid. Also my friends are over the age of 22 with families of their own and a life. They seem to find this game more interesting then you give it credit for. Which my target audience is just that, older people, and not so much kids, and teens. Some have liked the idea so much they are contributing to it. One even picked up blender JUST to contribute to the project. Which that has spoken louder then your words. People who have read the actual story have decided to not just tell me it is a good project, with a good storyline, but help out with it.

Also you have not shown me anything that you have done to show me that you have the right to say anything at all. This is all from your point of view and twisting it to think that EVERYONE thinks the same as you. Show me a game that you have done that has grossed at least 1000$ total. Show me a project that has made you more then 500$, show me anything that is worth anything, even if it is not money. Show me a project you have done more then add a few models to, and that you were a major acting member of. Thats all that I am asking. If you can not, then you have no right to judge my game in a way by saying that no one but emotionally disturbed teens will play. Show me that you can back up what you say. Because if you have nothing really to show that is worth anything you will no longer be taken serious and future comments will be ignored and considered a troll.

I have started a few game projects that have all failed due to lack of people doing logic bricks. Also blender isn’t really very good at managing games. In order to make a exe you need to have everything in one blend. I have just done small prototypes of what could be full good games. It doesn’t interest me so much now anyway. It’s just something to do to let out your urge to be creative. And I have no idea why age matters online, your storyline is something a 15 year old could conjure up.

In many cases it’s the children who are smarter than adults…anyway if your storyline is close to what I wrote down. Then it sucks, the foundation you have layed out for your project isn’t a veyr good foundation. Seems like you have just looked at other games and movies and got inspired to create something that is very similar. I’m not saying this is a bad thing, but try to take some of your inspiration from your own experiences as well. If you have any happy, beautiful experiences that is. You are from USA, so I recon you wouldn’t have any original inspirations. Since your entire “Holywood culture” is based on other cultures. You have just taken bits from a lot of cultures around the world and turned it into holywood.

Cyberpunk and industrial feel, even the idea about humans living on mars all stems from american “culture”. It’s not very beautiful…just a lot of special effects and unoriginal heroes and storylines. I commented on a game below that is turning Franz Kafka into a game. I actually liked that idea…your idea is so american. Unoriginal and to me very lame. Well if you got other americans backing you in your quest for making a 3D game that looks 2D then you don’t really need a foreigners support do you. You Americans have so little respect for cultures and societies outside of your own. Anyway once again I wish you good luck…

America is a melting pot of cultures. Also note that every today has the similar problem because of so many different peoples coming together. Also the idea is derived from actual plans that NASA is planning to do. In the distant future the sun with either super nova or black hole. If super nova’ed then the earth will be reduced to a molting lava rock absorbed by the sun. The nearest planet that we could move to is Mars, as long as we Terra form it first. This isnt holywood based. This is actually been researched though and through. The only false parts are after the terra formation. You are quite, well in a way, racist against Americans. Also I have a lot of respect for other cultures, as you do not. You seem to think that Americans can not do anything cultural based. Yet you keep saying American culture. Yes this is out culture, and it has made us who we are today. Also note that you want to change my culture to suit yours. How is that being respectful to my culture? You are very hypocritical when it comes to yourself.

Also have you turned anything you have done into something that has made you money? I am a web developer, who does it for a living. The reason why I am doing this game is because there are people who still play Diablo, and Diablo two, as well as the old fallout series. Its not a dying genre, and has plenty of followers. This is why I want to do this game. I love those kind of games so I am bringing my own twist to it, which is as you said, American because I am American. As for originality, show me a game or movie, or even book that has this same or similar story. Show me where I have copied something from someone? This idea has been taken from NASA, thats about it. Also note that its not Cyberpunk, but rather a SteamPunk. That is only a description, not the entire culture. Also you say stuff about special effect? this game wont have a lot of WOW or pizazz. This will be similar in game play as the genre I am classing this under, which did not have a lot of special effect but rather game play and story line. I also wish you luck in your attempts at future projects and hope you realize that this game is a lot more then what is put on this forum. Their is more to the story then what is shown and if you read more from what is available I would not have had to constantly explain the game.

You noticed how I put culture with exclamation marks. “culture”. Holywood isn’t the american culture, holywood takes culture and merges it with big explosions, action and body builders. I’m not trying to replace your “culture” with my own. The only true culture america got is the culture of the cowboys. The american cowboys represent ignorance stupidity and laziness. Also I would say they are very racist and disrepspectful. That is the culture of america, and it has lasted into the 21th century.

So you have got the idea from NASA. Then why merge nasas somewhat inspiring idea of making a planet suitable for life. With the idea of stempunk and industrial areas filled with psychopaths that you got to shoot down with maching guns. This is just a suggestion, you could base the idea on the movie 2001 a space oddysey. A game about how one man (The player) has to survive by taking manual control over a space ship controlled by a intelligent robot brain that has developed human emotions.

Instead of copying the idea entirely. You could take the robot part and add the terra forming idea you got from nasa maybe. How about a robot that has become so smart he is trying to deny your wish to terraform a planet. Maybe you are the only pilot that is awake, and all others are in deep sleep or maybe frozen down.

You have to somehow take manual control over the ship and release the capsules that are suppose to crash into the planet and terraform it. But in order to do so you will have to trick the robot brain. It could be a side scroller puzzle game maybe a bit like Metroid. But in 3D following a 3D path like in Pandemonium.

This is just brainstorming, with more time you could make the storyline more original and maybe more interesting. Anyway if you like the idea about steampunk psychopaths on mars then go with that. Some people find inspiration in steam punk mars with psychopaths. Others find it elsewhere, in the end it’s your choice. I’m declining the invetation you sent me in your pm though.

I respectfully accept your declining of my invention.

Also I do not want to copy any part of a movie or other game to the point of changing a few aspect of it. Also note that 2001 A space Odyssey is apart of that Hollywood Culture. Also the idea of the asleep crew has been done many times before. Think Aliens and most scifi movies. I would consider those as ideas but I am looking for originality in my storyline. Not some Hollywood hacked plot. Also the 3d Side scroller platform has been done. There are plenty of them. There how ever are very few games in the Point/Click genre like Diablo or fallout. Id say double digits versus triple digits. I cant say any of your ideas are original in and form. You are just copying Hollywood ideas for the most part and games for the others.

Also When I say steam punk, I do not mean the full culture. That is due to the fact that people had to make due with what little technology was left behind. The planet became very industrial after they land on mars and have to build a world from nothing. Seeing how IRON and CARBON are found on mars, this leads to an industrial boom of sorts. Once the upper class leave, they destroy most of the technology they could. Leaving little left. Hence the Steam punk feel of the game.

Well I don’t suggest you to turn the game into a space oddysey. I just find that movie very inspiring, a good sci fi movie. You should consider taking some inspiration from it. So there is no goal to the game at all? You are just going to walk around on mars like in diablo and fallout and just kill psychopaths?

there is a goal of the game, which is explained in the GDD and other documents with the game. The jist of it is that your one of three brothers and while you are out selling some of your crop(you are one of very few independent farmers) your ranch is attacked by a small gang(which is part of a larger gang which is apart of a larger organization). Your brothers are almost beaten to death and your sister ends up comatose. After bringing them back to health(which is a matter of a cut scene so to speak) you then take off to hunt down the man, or men responsible. The reason why the farm is important is that it sits on top of a large mineral deposit. Which is also why the farm is so prosperous. Also why the larger Organization wants that land. The brothers have denied the Organization to many times and now they want the land any way possible. There is more to it but that is the run down

Sounds like one of those cowboys movies with clint eastwood in it. What was it called again…hmm yeah Pale rider. Except in that movie a preacher comes and saves the day. Will the player in this game also be a stranger walking into town or are you one of those involved in the fight? If you are one of the involved you first have to make the player care for whoever is getting killed beaten whatever. If the player has no reason to go after whoever beat up someone then why should he? In a game like left 4 dead survival and fear is what drives you. If your sister is getting beat up in this game, you must first make the player care about the sister, otherwise it’s a useless foundation. So this is a sphagetti western on mars?

EDIT: It’s a useless foundation except if your target audience are sick sadistic sexually confused people. That need to let out their anger on someone or something.

So did you ever play Diablo, or Fallout, Or Quake, or Half life, or any other then current over nighters? L4D came and went, yet games like Starcraft and Diablo are played today by thousands of people. They did not have a great storyline where you were so enthralled with the characters that you cared so much about them. It was the game play. They had a pretty good storyline but all in all it was the game that was able to keep them into it. They were not cookie cutter, repeating games. The had replay value. L4D has none. Its the same thing over and over again which did not capture my attention because it was senseless violence. Yes yes, zombies taken over blah blah blah. Done a 1000 times a 1000 different ways. There is no real survival in l4d, no real fear. Its very movie like and separates you from the characters in a way that makes it a run and gun game rather then a survival horror game. Your arguments are, Invalid and not very thought out. Everything you have said has been a personal outlook on things with no real world backing. I have given examples and real world examples of the same techniques that are going to be used or have already been. You keep saying sick sadistic sexually confused people. What part of this game makes you think thats the only people who will play this game? By the by, you still have yet to identify your culture. If you are going to continue to bash my culture you might as well and put yours out their as well unless your culture has even worse of a history then the Americans.