NEW TEXTURE CREATION TUTORIAL

(TorQ) #1

Hello all.

I made a tutorial today for you in appreciation for all of your help the last few weeks. Here is the link:

http://snow.prohosting.com/torq21/galaxy.HTM

This tutorial is how to make a galaxy texture map for your space scenes. Let me know if you like it and if there are any problems. Thanks for making the community great!! BLENDER ROCKS!

TorQ

P.S. I hope to have some new screens of my demo up for you soon!

(Dittohead) #2

nice :smiley: 8) :wink:

(tHe-IcemAn) #3

It would help if you told the reader what friggin program you are using in the tutorial since IT IS NOT BLENDER!

(Vanje) #4

By reading through the tutorial and picking out a few key terms, I’m going to assume that this is a Photoshop tutorial.

(I’m fairly positive there is a more constructive way to critique someone’s work than to be rude about it IcemAn :wink: )

(TorQ) #5

Thanks Vanje. Yes I created this tutorial with Photoshop in mind but I think that the basics here should be easily translated to the Gimp or anyother image editor. If there is enough demand I would look into doing a Gimp version.

TorQ

(Vanje) #6

Nice tute TorQ, just a few things you might change though. I went ahead and went through it:

Might suggest starting with a black background

“Create a new layer and fill it with black. Make a circular selection about 800 pixels in diameter and feather the selection at 50 pixels
Invert the selection and hit delete” - (this deletes the outer edge and leaves a black hole in the middle… which might be useful for some other tutorial, it had a rather cool effect after I followed a few more steps :wink: )

“Draw the gradient tool from the center of the swirl to its outer edge and release” - (Add a statement to “deselect” after this)

Noise - Uniform/Gausian? Monochromatic?

“Make a circular selection in the middle of the layer at about 300 pixels, feather it by 50 pixels. Invert the selection and delete.” - (Inverting the selection causes the outer sections to become colored while the middle remains black and white)

(TorQ) #7

I just revised some of the language and redid the formating to make it somewhat more ledgible. Thanks for you comments.

TorQ

(ilac) #8

By reading through the tutorial and picking out a few key terms, I’m going to assume that this is a Photoshop tutorial.

(I’m fairly positive there is a more constructive way to critique someone’s work than to be rude about it IcemAn :wink: )[/quote]

That’s not the point. You (Vanje) were able to ‘assume’ that photoshop or some other image editor was used because you are familiar with such programs. Some newbies might not yet be familiar with such programs and seeing that tutorials are a learning experience it only makes sense that the tools should be pointed out no matter how obvious they are to the teacher (which they should be!! :wink: )

Having said that, it’s a nice tutorial :smiley: but do point out that it is for an image editor. After all you want to help people not confuse them!! :o

(DAK) #9

I agree. Stop confusing us newbies!
Move it or lose it.

(TorQ) #10

Are you guys serious? Why don’t you stop complaining about something nice someone is doing for you? Grow up a little.

TorQ

(tHe-IcemAn) #11

Of course we are serious, take your introduction to the tutorial:
“Start by creating a document 1024 X 1024. Render the clouds filter making sure that your foreground color is black and background color is set to white.”

Take this from an experienced professional tutorial writer (NaN has paid me to write tutorials in 3 of their publications, so I think I know what the F’ I am talking about) A tutorial should always list the steps needed to accomplish the task (or it would be like buying a manual for your car that says “Remove the Cylinder head and replace the gasket” without stating what bolts need to be removed). It should state "On the menu click “Filter > Render > Clouds” or state that the tutorial is for accomplished users familiar with Photoshop.

(ilac) #12

Actually TorQ, why don’t YOU stop complaining about something nice someone is doing for you? We never said your tutorial was a bad thing or not helpful or that we didn’t want it (read through our posts again if you have to). We gave you some constructive critism on how to improve your tutorial. Grow up.

(DAK) #13

IceMan, out of curiousity, how much did NaN pay you for those tutorials? Anyhow, would you consider writing more, even if there is no more paychecks? :slight_smile:

(Vanje) #14

Ilac, I dont think that’s quite what he’s talking about.

Things like…

It would help if you told the reader what friggin program you are using in the tutorial since IT IS NOT BLENDER!

And

Move it or lose it.

And

so I think I know what the F’ I am talking about

… is not really “constructive criticism”. Attitude is everything, even on forums such as these. So maybe TorQ isn’t an “experienced professional tutorial writer”. Instead of being a jerk (as you see above), some true constructive criticism would have gone a lot further in helping TorQ reshape his tutorial into what your resident “experienced professional(?) tutorial writer” deems worthy than a buch of cocky statements.

By my post count, it’s obvious I haven’t been on these forums for long, but it’s quite obvious the attitude here is not something I want to be involved with.

(ilac) #15

And

And

… is not really “constructive criticism”. Attitude is everything, even on forums such as these. So maybe TorQ isn’t an “experienced professional tutorial writer”. Instead of being a jerk (as you see above), some true constructive criticism would have gone a lot further in helping TorQ reshape his tutorial into what your resident “experienced professional(?) tutorial writer” deems worthy than a buch of cocky statements.

By my post count, it’s obvious I haven’t been on these forums for long, but it’s quite obvious the attitude here is not something I want to be involved with.[/quote]

Iceman might be blunt but that dosen’t make his critism any less useful or constructive.

Secondly you should put the names of the people who you are quoting.

I also notice that you haven’t quoted any of my posts, so I don’t think you have much to complain about my attitude - yet my advice has also been ignored. It is I who should be offended then.

Also if you re-read my posts and Icemans second post you will see that we have backed up our critism with reasons. Iceman’s second post could also be considered a mini-tut on how to write tutorials, yet you had the cheek to pick out a small bit of it and say that his post was not constuctive.

And after all these posts, the one small - yet important - change we advised has still not appeared in the tutorial. It is THAT attitude on the forum, towards people that try to help, that make me think twice before offering any advice to anyone anymore.

I am far more offended by someone who has the cheek to tell me to grow up when i am trying to help him, than just because someone uses an ‘f’ word when trying to help me.

(TorQ) #16

I’d be happy to update the page in the near future. I hope that I can make it more clear for those inexperienced with graphics programs. I have not been ignoring comments. As it stands I don’t have the time right now to do any changes but would like the tutorial to be helpful to all. I do believe, though, at its current state that it is useful to someone.

TorQ

(ilac) #17

Great :smiley:

One other thing while we’re at it. You might also want to add a date as well as your name on the page so you can get credit for your work.

Regards
Fabrizio

(Vanje) #18

I didn’t say the advice given wasn’t useful, I said it wasn’t constructive. Being rude about it generally puts people on the defensive.

Noted

Correct, I saw nothing wrong with your advice, nor with the way it was delivered.

Why would I pick on advice that was actually useful? The examples I quoted were just that, examples of plain un-called-for rudeness.

It is my previously quoted examples that make people like me think twice about asking for advice. Be blunt if you must but please don’t swear at me or my efforts.

Not that I think the phrase was directed at you in any way, but had TorQ not been put on the defensive, he wouldn’t have had cause to lash back with “grow up”.

All I’m trying to say is to have a little courtesy, it’s not that difficult.