[New to Blender] Can you blend height maps in eevie?

I have watched alot of tutorials using Cycles where the displacement texture is plugged into the displacement node then into the output (if that makes sense but the usual way) and then they use a mix shader, seperate RGB and vertex colour to blend between materials in texture paint, along the lines of this really helpful tutorial:

But I know in Eevie you have to use a displacement modifier and the height map (displacement node in shading doesnt work).
But I cant find any tutorial on how to blend height maps in Eevie, can it be done if theres only one texture attached to the displacement modifier?
Like blending two rocky ground materials?

Thankyou

1 Like

Welcome to BA :slight_smile:

You can do this in Eevee. Make two displacement modifiers, each with a unique height texture. You can blend between them by assigning vertex groups to the modifiers

5 Likes

Hello
Thankyou :smile:
Was really helpful!
I used a image texture mask to mix between two shaders and aligned the vertex groups to the mask :slight_smile:
Am I missing something?
Is this the easiest cleanest way to do it?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s kind of a pain, but that’s the way to do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Couldn’t it be done using weight paint and vertex weight edit or vertex weight mix?

2 Likes

Yes, I made a test here and using vertex weight mix modifier first, subtracting the weight paint of one vertex group from the other, you can use the weight paint on the subtraction group to paint the displacement as you wish. It’s much more manageable.

Edit: I need more tests as the subtraction I’m making here doesn’t seem to be working as it should. But nothing to do with the theory, though.

3 Likes

I personally would use vertex paint, but that seemed overly complicated for someone “new to Blender” :slight_smile:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy: I found out what was happening here. Somehow the texture I assigned to the displace modifier ended up assigned for the vertex weight mix and the result was looking wrong, obviously.

1 Like

Haha thanks
I will give this a go and see if I can get my brain around it :smile:

2 Likes

I like that spirit. So basically all you need to do is to add this modifier at the top of the modifier stack:

This way, everything you paint on the vertex group 001 is automatically subtracted from the weight painting of the first group. So, you will be basically painting your displacement distribution.

As you can see you can also edit the influence of that operation using a texture or another vertex group and the slide of the influence.

3 Likes

Cool! Thanks so much!

1 Like

You are very welcome and as you can see, if you have any problems we are here to help. :wink:

1 Like

Oh, I forgot to mention. Depending on the complexity of the scene you don’t even need that.
You just need to assign the SAME vertex group for both displace modifiers and use this to invert one of them:

That gives you the possibility to work with weight paint as well, but you will only need one vertex group.

2 Likes