New to blender, having issue.

So, I am trying to raise one corner vertices on a face, on 2 of the 4 corners of my chimney it works fine. On the other two corners, the face angles half way, and then the other half is flat (doesn’t angle). I have attached images, and the blend. Any help would be great! Thanks. April

question.blend (359 KB)

Well your problem here is that you are using faces wrong, faces act unpredictably when they are not planer (flat). I’m not sure what you are trying to do here but you should try to find a different method to do it. You also might want to find some modeling tutorials so you can find some more proper methods. Hope this helps.

I don’t know if what I’m about to tell you is the best way to solve this but I do know this has something to do with how Blender is automatically triangulating the quad when you lift the vertex up.

Here’s my suggested fix:
In Edit mode, select the quad. Triangulate the face (Ctrl+T or Mesh -> Faces -> Triangulate Faces). This may create the edge in the location that you want. If it does not, rotate the edge (Mesh -> Faces -> Rotate Edge CW). Assuming the two triangle faces are still selected, convert the triangles back to a quad (Alt+J or Mesh -> Faces -> Tris to Quads). When converting from tris to quad, you may need to increase the max angle in the Tools panel.

Hope this helps.

I’m fairly new to Blender myself.

It’s usually regarded as bad practice, but…
This might be one of the rare cases where triangles are acceptable.

If your model is going to be static (not rigged and animated), and you are not going to put a subsurface modifier on it, triangles shouldn’t cause too much trouble.

You could select these two vertices.

Press “j” (in version 2.63)

and it will divide the face into two flat triangular polygons.

I know there are of people that will say never to use triangles, but I think there are times when you can get away with it. It just depends on what the model is going to be used for.

Just my suggestion :slight_smile: