New to Blender...really confused

I am new to Blender and am confused about the relationship between MakeHuman and Blender.

I find I can create a human model in MakeHuman but then I must transfer that to Blender to position the limbs.

The navigation in Blender is so confusing it took me awhile just to figure out how to load the file I made in MH. Now that I have done so I still cannot seem to figure out how to alter the positions of limbs etc.

Logic would seem to make this much easier to do by dragging arms and legs into position as I have done in Poser ( which I no longer have) but I cannot find any tools, buttons or other items to accomplish this?

Am I missing some steps in this process? Are there any such things as add-ons or plugins I need?

Do I need MH at all? Can I just start from scratch and create human models in Blender? Why are there two separate programs necessary to accomplish one task?

I tried both of these programs over a year ago and gave up. I had hoped the interface would become more intuitive with the passing of time.

Any suggestions most welcome. Having looked at the topics here I have no clue where to start to create movable human models.

Thanks for putting up with a dummy ! :eyebrowlift2:

Makehuman has as much to do with blender as something like Poser or DAZ Studio. They are all external applications that create figures that if you wish you can import into blender. The MH and blender development teams are totally different.

Do I need MH at all? Can I just start from scratch and create human models in Blender? Why are there two separate programs necessary to accomplish one task?
You can create figures from scratch and add an armature to rig them directly in blender. You may want to use a third party application like MH to make a figure if you find that easier to do so.

Actually, MakeHuman plays quite well with Blender. I’m guessing you exported as an OBJ format. That just gives you the mesh. If you export it in the MHX format, it will create an armature for the model.

In Blender, you need to go into User Preferences: Add Ons and enable the MHX importer (type MHX into the search box.) You also need to enable Auto run Python Scripts in the File tab. Then when you go to Import, you’ll find MHX available.

Steve S

At the top of this page is a drop down menu titled “New To Blender?” The third selection, “Get started with Blender,” leads you to the Blender Cookie Introduction to Blender video tutorials. You probably want to take a look at #2,3 and 4: interface and navigation, modeling and animation. They are fairly short, but have a lot of information you need to know to get out of the how-does-this-work frustration.

Welcome to BlenderArtists :smiley: