New to Blender

I’m opening Blender 2.57 with the factory settings and am trying to follow a tutorial. It’s saying to hit CTRL+C to center the cursor and when I do that the cursor is not centering. I’ve searched for information on this and even had a friend load Blender to try to get the CTRL+C centering function to work and it didn’t work for them either. I’m not sure what could be going wrong here. I would appreciate any advice.

Shift +C
Ctrl + . (period key)
Home key
Those are the buttons you’ll need to know.

Thank you very much :slight_smile: All the tutorials I’ve read say hit CTRL+C to center. You’re the first person to say Shift+C. And it worked!

unfortunantly alot of tutorials go out of date since blender is undergoing a rewrite. when something in blender changes often the tutorials dont get updated. one in pdf that does get updated frequently (atleast once a month) is at : http://silverjb.limewebs.com/index.html

another great site for beginners is http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html
eventually blender will get out of beta stage and be stable enough itdosn’t change as quickly which will let the scripts and tutorials be good for much longer periods of time.

@Kaye: Welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

Blender is out of beta now, but was in beta for over a year. Because the new version (that you are using) is so much better than the previous versions, people started writing tutorials a long time ago when Blender2.5x was still in beta, and even when it was in alpha, so that others could get to grips with all the changes and be ahead of the curve when the final release was finalised. It seems that this community effort has been successful since there are a great many people who are quite skilled with the new Blender even though it has been official for a short time. However, a side-effect of this is that many tutorials are out of date. They should be broadly correct (even many 2.4x tutorials have some good information) but there are some small changes such as keyboard shortcuts that may differ between the tutorials and the release version.

If you find that you are struggling then the Space bar is very useful. Hit Space and then start typing the command that you want to use and a list of matches should be presented along with the keyboard shortcuts. You can also completely redefine the shortcuts through the user preferences window should you wish.

Feel free to post any questions in the appropriate sections of blenderartists.org. You’ve found the most helpful Blender-related forum on the net and most questions are answered fairly quickly. In time, you can repay the generosity of others by offering your own solutions to their problems.

Have fun. :smiley:

Thank you both for the welcome, information and links :slight_smile:

If you just want to center the cursor, it may be faster just to do Shift+S->Cursor to Center.