new to blender

HI guys
Im afraid I need a little advice. I am new to blender and after looking around at various other softwares such as poser and Maya, this is the one for me (its FREE) lol lol. I have watched several video lessons from various sources to see if I can do what I want but seem to be a little bit at a loss. I did a 2D animation for my grandsons birthday and wanted to recreate the same character in blender which I think I might be able to manage. I was just wondering, before I start, what would be the correct way to go. my character is basically a cartoony avatar of myself wearing a baseball cap,glasses, hi vis jacket, shirt tie trousers shoes etc. Now my problem I have is before i start i was wondering if I need to model each clothing item seperately so i can put animation on these items. mainly removing the hat, glasses and wind blowing through the hi vis as i walk etc. I hope this gives you an idea of my needs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am really excited at getting started on my new adventure and apologise for any pestering i may be doing in the future to get my project off the ground.

Thanks again

Woody

There are a lot of ways to do clothing. If you want to remove the glasses and hat, they will need to be separate objects. For the rest, most use the base body mesh as a beginning form for things like shirts and pants, then add as needed. The clothing is often a part of the same mesh as the character, with the character body masked, so it doesn’t show through the clothing. Flapping capes, jackets, long dresses, etc. can be animated by adding extra bones to the armature to move them around.

Another approach is to make clothing separate, and use the cloth modifier to let Blender do the drapes and folds and motions as the underlying character mesh is animated. This can look a lot more realistic, but sometimes looks odd on a cartoon style character.

Check out the tutorial lessons in the NEW TO BLENDER? links at the top of this page, and welcome to BlenderArtists :smiley:

You’re Welcome woody. I’m coming like many others from 3DS max (sooo expensive). Well it seems impossible first, but when you learn Blender you realize that it is more powerful than many expensive softwares… (speed, stability, smoke, physics, fluid, compositing, UV…).

So you are in the write place. But before doing a character, there are planty of things to learn : modeling, UV, texturing, skinning, rigging, lights, materials, rendering… So if you are new to 3D, you will have to learn and learn and learn :slight_smile:
But it is a fantastic domain !!!

Best wishes !

Seb

Hey Woody,

It’s quite an undertaking you want to achieve. 3D animation (from scratch to final) covers quite a scope of skills. It can be overwhelming for sure. The only way I can see you get through it is by cutting corners and not obsessing on quality.

This is what I would recommend.

1. Modeling. Takes a long time to learn/get right. For this reason I would strongly advise against making the characters on your own from scratch. Rather get a free base mesh that you will use and modify to suite your design. I’m sure you can find quite a few to choose from on the net, ask here if you need help. www.makehuman.org is an option.

With that big step out of the way, on to your character design.

1. Sculpting. Much easier and faster than modeling. Use sculpting (and proportional editing in EditMode) to tweak the base mesh to your character design.
  • Make the silhouette work, don’t get lost in the details.
  • Don’t spend time on anything that’s not visible (under the cloth), other than getting the volumes right.
  • Face. Go as far as you can take it focusing on volumes/silhouette primarily. The detail you will add on the texture level (treat it as an old school low poly game asset)
  • Do not use DynamicTopology! You don’t want to have to retopo or UV Unwrap that thing.
  • Anything that is a separate object in real life treat as such while modeling.
  • Try to find free cloth pieces when you can, than modify/fit, instead of modeling them.
  1. UV. The goal is to have that base mesh you find already unwrapped. If not, than go with Auto UV in blender. Learning how to properly UV stuff can take a while. You will compensate for crappy UVz by painting textures exclusively in the 3D environment.

2. Texturing. Seems like this might be the area you’re comfortable in. Get the most out of it.

5 Rigging. You don’t want to learn this, it takes a long time to digest! Use the Rigify add-on to rig.

Animate. Choose your rendering engine; light; create materials; render; comp.

No doubt you will need a lot of help along the way within all of the stages outlined most likely. Tackle them one at the time. Good luck.