New to cycles... need some advice on lighting, please!

Hi, I turned my attention on using cycles instead of the blender engine and I have some questions that I haven’t understood very well. So, if some of you can answer these 2 questions I thank you in advance.

1. Should I forget the use of regular lights (sun, spot, area, etc.) and focus only in light emiter objects?! All the tutorials and examples I have seen use exclusively objects…

2. Can we use volumetric lighting and object materials with cycles? I mean lamp halos and light through windows in a dusty room (I know how to use glare in compositing, so that is not what I’m looking for… :wink: ). Any good tutorial on that subject that you may suggest?

Thanks,
LM

Hi,

Cycles allows ligthing the scenes with other source lights also. But for using them you have to increase their strength to high values.

About volumetric lighting, I am not sure if that´s supported currently.

If you need your lamps as realistic as possible (in terms of lighting the scene, caustics, ect…), then yes, you can even make them invisible like the actual lamp types if needed.

1. Mesh lights are more flexible and I think they produce a little less noise. You can make mesh lights invisible to the camera in the object panel, under ray visibility.
  2. Volumetrics are being worked on as we speak. You can fake volumetric lights in the compositor. Tutorial here but you have to be a cg cookie member to see it($10)

Thanks to all.
The answers are exactly what I was thinking of. Let’s wait for any update on Cycles regarding volumetrics and particles.

Thanks to all.
The answers are exactly what I was thinking of. Let’s wait for an update on Cycles regarding volumetrics and particles.