New Tutorial By Me

(valarking) #1

I’m having some FTPing to Bellsouth from this PC, so it’ll be hosted on (gasp!) Tripod for right now. It is designed to introduce new people to Blender and take them through to their first model. How is it?
http://vkgfx.tripod.com/tuts/1/

Thanks,
ValarKing

(S68) #2

Cool,

Good Work :smiley: . I liked expecially the intro :stuck_out_tongue:

WARNING
Constructive criticism ahead
WARNING

If it is for newbies, maybe it could be clearer if you remove all those

after all you don’t describe ALL buttons, so you can point out only the newbie-absolutely-necessary ones!

Then, I use the Unified renderer almost every time, and it’s only problems are with stars & rings halos…

For the rest is cool.

Your calyce example might be questionable.

Personally I would never make a calyce by extruding a circle, but I would prepare the profile and then Spinning it! When you will explain spinning the newbies will say 'so why he taught us to do calyces that other way?

Keep it up the good work

Stefano

(valarking) #3

[quote=“S68”]
Cool,

Good Work :smiley: . I liked expecially the intro :stuck_out_tongue:

WARNING
Constructive criticism ahead
WARNING

If it is for newbies, maybe it could be clearer if you remove all those

after all you don’t describe ALL buttons, so you can point out only the newbie-absolutely-necessary ones!

Then, I use the Unified renderer almost every time, and it’s only problems are with stars & rings halos…

For the rest is cool.

Your calyce example might be questionable.

Personally I would never make a calyce by extruding a circle, but I would prepare the profile and then Spinning it! When you will explain spinning the newbies will say 'so why he taught us to do calyces that other way?

Keep it up the good work

Stefano[/quote]

Thanks for the crits. I was wondering about the buttons, it won’t hurt them to know the names. And about the calyce, when I found out A LOOONG time ago, about the exrude tool, I used it to make a glass like that. I was mainly doing the glass as an example for extrude.
And yes, when I have to make a glass nowawdays, I just use the Spin function. The problem with that is that when using Spin, there are many ways the screw it up. Take for instance, putting the cursor slightly off center. D’oh! You got a hole at the bottom. Move a vertex off center. d’oh! Another hole. It’s kinda hard, and may be frustrating, but I’ll think I’ll include it in tutorial 2 or 3.
This is just what I thought while writing it, I’m not dissing your comments, so what do you think?
Oh, and BTW, you use the Unified Renderer often? Whenever I use it, it either doesnt really improve it, or it mangles it horribly.

(theeth) #4

well, personnaly, I always use curves and bevOb to make that kind of object, but that might just be me :wink:

Martin

(digitalSlav) #5

almost all other programs use this extrude process to illustrate the extrusion process. maya and lightwave are notorious for this. not too bad there valarking. nice to see you contributing!

(Bapsis) #6

Good on you!!! :wink:

Matt

Blend on, and blend well!!!

(Timonides) #7

valarking allthough I saw that late… I can say one thing:

SWEET TUTORIAL… (HEE, HEE, HEE… :wink: )

Spyros.

(mthoenes) #8

Nice Job,
Also good job grouping the tutorial Links by subject!

Thanks

(S68) #9

Yes, really, I use it :slight_smile: Halos are much nicer… and transparent materials too, colours are slightly brighter…

Stefano

(Goofster) #10

warning
constructive (I hope) critisism ahead
warning

some stuff from the tutorial:

1. This simply starts GameBlender. Another rarely used button, because there is a much quiker hotkey, “G”.

better not use the term “G” here :wink: (and I DO think quicker has a C in it)

that’s all I can find (believe me I tried :smiley: )

great tutorial, very usefull

Roel

ps. even I learned something from it, I never knew you could use the UP-key to move stuff :wink:

(valarking) #11

better not use the term “G” here :wink: (and I DO think quicker has a C in it)

You’re right! There are alot of typos in there. What do you mean by not using the term “G”? USe [G] instead? I’m conused. :-?

ps. even I learned something from it, I never knew you could use the UP-key to move stuff :wink:

Yeah, alot of people don’t know it, and it’s, to me, one of the most important keys in Blender.

(Goofster) #12

Sorry, I thought you mean “G” as an IRC expresion.
in this case, you just got the wrong hotkey, Pkey starts gameblender, not G

(valarking) #13

you’re right!