New Ubuntu Gusty released...

Hi all,

Gusty, the newest Ubuntu was just released.
I am downloading it right now to give it a test run.
get it here :
http://www.ubuntu.com/
Here is the early beta Wubi installer in case you dont want to partition your hard drive,
You have CD rom problems, or you just dont want to waste a CD to try it out :stuck_out_tongue:
http://wubi-installer.org/devel/minefields/

From the package list, I can see we are not going to get Blender 2.45, the only thing in the stable repository is blender 2.44 :frowning:

No Compiz fusion or Beryl either, but that is because it is still in beta development.

The rest looks pretty cool though, I am looking forward to giving it a try tonight.

i have been playing with the release candidates of gutsy for a few days. most of it runs very smooth. thats if i don’t try to use wine or my second monitor. other than those 2 the interface is fast. mere fractions of a second to open a window. and i thought they left Compiz in, they said if your pc doesn’t meet requirements you just get the default desktop.

yep yep! just ordered my cd… have to wait for around 6weeks :frowning:
i hope 2.45 is natively supported without missing libraries. by the way, downloaded Wubi, and i’ll give it a try in our school PCs.

Awesome!!!1!11 :smiley: ordered my cd’s a few days back… :slight_smile:

Arf… No 2.45 for Ubuntu ?
Damn… I was on the verge of trying it.

Correction there is no Compiz fusion or beryl… Compiz dose come with gusty!! Hoooray!!!

Can you not install 2.45 on your own?

Why not just download the ISO image and burn it to CD-R? Dial-up maybe?:eyebrowlift2:

Oh please please please have better ATI support! :spin: Otherwise, I may have to resort to a GeForce 5200… GASP!!!

Cheers,
John

you’ll have to go to ati with that attitude, as its not ubuntu that should support ati but ati support linux… :wink: and, hey! my fx5200 has and still is serving me very well!

and yes ofc. you’ll be able to install 2.45 on your own, like, why shouldn’t you?!!

yea, blender is easy to install, it just takes a little time is all.
I bet we can find the 2.45 in the other repository’s like “backports”.

Download, extract, run? I don’t think I’ve ever had to do more.

Never had to find the missing libraries? It is not always obvious for everyone to decipher the messages in the console when some are missing.
J.

i had 2.45 installed prior to updating to Gutsy and it left my install in tact so maybe this will work…

http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=Blender

you might have change your settings to feisty but, it should work.

Download, extract, run? I don’t think I’ve ever had to do more.
take the “.blender” folder from the main folder it extracts ("." in front of files make them invisible). and place it in your home folder .

also if you create a symbolic link to the blender binary, and copy it over to your /usr/bin folder it will allow you to execute blender from any terminal by just typing blender. You can also just type blender into the address fields to make gnome and KDE shortcuts very easy.

like I said, easy… just takes a little time… after that you have all the blender goodness as if you installed from apt-get or synaptic front end.

ok, it did not install nice for me :frowning:

I am going to try Wubi…
Digging in the Ubuntu forums I found this alpha to install gusty 7.10:
http://wubi-installer.org/devel/minefields/
It now installs the X64 version!!!
here is the forum post to watch for more updates, the final version should be released in a few days from now :smiley:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=447764&page=9

hope this works, I think I have a funky batch of CD’s or my cd-r is broken is why I could not get the live cd to work.
Wubi will totally solve this :smiley: (I hope!!)

It’s a little more work than just “Download, extract, run” this time around (for 2.45 on Ubuntu).

There seem to be 2 OpenAL libs that don’t come stock. So just cd to the extracted directory, run blender, and watch for the lib names in the error dialog.

Then just search for them through synaptic, mark for install, and that should do it.

There seem to be 2 OpenAL libs that don’t come stock. So just cd to the extracted directory, run blender, and watch for the lib names in the error dialog

Awesome! thanks for the tip!

That saved me 2 WTF’s, and 15 minuets of searching for the packages :smiley:
Thanks Social.

That explains why I can’t get it to install on Ubuntu Studio :frowning: Dis sux mon.

take the “.blender” folder from the main folder it extracts ("." in front of files make them invisible). and place it in your home folder .

also if you create a symbolic link to the blender binary, and copy it over to your /usr/bin folder it will allow you to execute blender from any terminal by just typing blender. You can also just type blender into the address fields to make gnome and KDE shortcuts very easy.

Never done that. Just dragged the .blender executable to the kde shortcut panel.

No, I’m pretty sure I never have. Not for blender, anyway. Maybe it would be worth creating a test prog that just says “the following libraries are needed and were not found. Install them by …”?

Why does it suck? You’ve got apt and aptitude there haven’t you? It’ll only take a min to get the missing libs.