New User Advice

So recently I have become quite interested in creating a game via Blender and would like to know what the community recommends to start this process. My gut instinct tells me to model everything first, then animate and code later, but my gut isn’t always right.

I guess my question is, what would you guys (people who have been doing this for a long time and have created successful projects or are working on some) recommend I start out by doing?

Follow your gut

From all the BGE experts,
Learn Python and the Logic Bricks.

Lesson 1: Don’t expect too much, you will need to learn everything and start over many times. Take your time, you will need it. Don’t expect your first 3D model to be game ready, you will probably learn a lot (following tutorials on the internet and experimenting) and at the time you (nearly) finish something you will realise you have learned so much more that you can do way better and start over.

I would say learn the basics of logic bricks, then “graduate” to learning python. It’s not as difficult as you think. You can then move on to better your graphic abilities.

As you learn, you can make “learning projects”, which are little demos in which you incorporate a certain feature you learned. For example, a mini FPS demo in which you have to shoot the zombie cubes trying to kill you, or a ball game in which you test out keyboard controls and such.

Here’s the thing: It’s better to have a polished and very highly functional game (through python knowledge) and have simple graphics than have awesome graphics with little functionality. A clear example of that is minecraft. You could probably make all mincraft models in a week, maybe even less. But it took a few years to get the gameplay down and it was arguably the most successful indie game ever made.

In terms of the actual development process, you should always start with a prototype, which means that you’ll be dealing with little graphics and more programming (so using spheres and cubes as players and enemies), just to see if you can actually get the game to work. The prototype should include all significant gameplay portions you want to have in the game. This works as proof that you can actually make the game, so that you don’t start making the game and end up quitting after a month’s work because you learned that you don’t have the necessary skills to make it. Then you can actually work on graphics and gameplay without fearing that you can’t complete the game.

If you want to learn some of the basics of the blender game engine, you can check out my youtube channel in my description. I cover topics such as adding controls to a character using logic bricks, basic level design, and creating a complete simple game that functions properly.

I’m also planning to start a python programming series, though I’m not sure when that’s coming.

best of luck!
Dhaher

1. Learn to use the BGE.
  2. Learn python.
  3. Make a detailed plan, description, analysis of your game. Know it inside out, how it works, why it should work.
  4. Start making tests, preferably, proofs of concept for your game mechanisms.
  5. Prepare a prototype.
  6. Start building the game, code, models, animations.

This is more or less what I’ve, am doing with my project, for nearly 3 years now, I’m on step 6.

It’s already been said, but learning Python is an exceptionally helpful tool in using the BGE. It allows you to do more things than with logic bricks alone, and also optimize the process more than logic bricks allows you to. It’s exceptionally useful to using the BGE.

I have a series of Python tutorials on my blog when you’re ready. I would recommend just starting out with logic bricks to begin with, though.

Press <p>.

:wink:

Most-likely you just want to play around with the options to discover what is possible. Do not spend to much time in modelling, texturing, animation etc… Some simple cubes will do the trick already. Play with the logic bricks see what you can get.

Your first project

• First have a plan (or at least an idea) what you want to achieve. I suggest make some notes because you need it later.
  • have some simple models and animation to be used for logic
  • apply logic
  • refine the models
  • refine the animation
  • check that you got what you defined at the first step (you still can chge your goals :wink: )