New user, just thought of saying "hi there blender fellas!"

Hi my name is Antoni Savvidi (we all know our TRUE name is our nicknames - Synthercat)

I’ve been doing 3d max (self taught) from 2002-2009 designing fireplaces (that’s my job)… around march of 2009 I found out about an open source 3D (!!!) To make a long story short I passed from 2.49 to the 2.5 gen about 2 months ago (LOVING IT!) I spend awfull amound of time with Luxrender and last year with Octane and I am alot into precision moddeling but not into humans, nature, curves n stuff (I will go there too soon). I love photorealism and I will post soon some stuff I got here… right now I am creating a portfolio to see if I can land a job as a 3d Artist / animator / FX person!

I still can’t believe it took me years to join this forum since I am a forum loving person

Hobbys - Talents :

• Music player and composer (worked as a musician last 6 months)
  • a little C++ / android dev (very little of this)
  • Electronics (latest hobby but it’s time/money consuming) microproccessor programing (arduino platform)
  • Meeting new people with the same exciting likes as me like… blender!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Glad to be here mates! :slight_smile: I just loooooooooove 3D creation & blender!

P.S : Thank you Ton Roosendaal
P.S-2 : Isn’t Andrew Price the guy we all love?

welcome!

my real name is Daren. my TRUE name is daren. cool to see a former max user – we need more of those, with a fresh set of eyes.

PS – Ton is a remarkable man. Blender is one of the most efficiently run open source software packages out there.
PS2 – we all like Andrew. Love is a very strong word. I never use it till at least 6 months of dating.

Welcome to Blender Artists!

My real name is Sean. My true name is Sean, but the internet knows me as Inferno, or Inferno1170. Never used max, but I’m glad to hear we have convert!

P.S. Yes, Ton has done some very amazing things for Blender, I always think of Steve Jobs when I think of Ton.

P.S.-2 Andrew’s tutorials are amazing, I’m following his Nature Academy now. He just teaches in a great way! Another great person is Jonathan Williamson over at Blender Cookie. He is a talented teacher as well. I like both for their crash course learning, they know what they want to do, but they don’t just have settings memorized, they fiddle with things while you watch, so you can always learn a hundred ways something doesn’t work! lol

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/74928_447046916547_308429371547_5942771_7470240_n.jpg

loooooooooool

I am sorry to say that… I used to work with 1-2 simple tools with max… and it’s like that. I used max for designing fireplaces (strict distances n stuff) and did play a bit with all I could find about it… I used blender first for play and now for fireplaces…

Quick Result :
I can do with blender a least 5 times the things I can do with max! (Cloth, water, hair, n others that maybe max does have them but I have no clue how to make use of them)

but

I do miss 1-2 goofy simple things max has like
press “h” select by name out of a list (maybe blender has this and I still don’t know?)
alt+a object align (the would GREATLY accelerate my work-flow for architecture stuff)
Especially this last thing. I use blender for some years now. I slowly decreased my time with max and increased with blender) but still in specific stuff I model faster with max (well… I did used it for many years)

Having said that… I would vote for blender any time of the day! I can’t believe how still it’s not in the top 3 suites out there!

Welcome to blenderartists!!! :smiley:
Real names Jon, True name is J.F.R. (that’s the abbreviation of it actually. I would like to protect my…er…Author Identity.)

“press “h” select by name out of a list (maybe blender has this and I still don’t know?)
alt+a object align (the would GREATLY accelerate my work-flow for architecture stuff)
Especially this last thing. I use blender for some years now. I slowly decreased my time with max and increased with blender) but still in specific stuff I model faster with max (well… I did used it for many years)”

there is a key, it looks like three dots over a double sided arrow, it moves objects centers only – so if you have that button turned on, you can select multiple objects, scale in the x (or y or z) and the centers will all align on that axis. you can rotate them too. THe h-key – maybe try shift-G – selects groups…

Nice pic ldh1109… both in one! haha

Thank you all for welcoming and don’t worry JFR your secret is safe with me!
Daren I tried that 3 doted button on and off and I saw the difference while rotating
as for the shift+G… I am still not familiar with groups. I barely used child-parent on just a few cases!
I wish I had to objects and say : Align the lowes x point of the first with the highest x point of the other.
for the time being I use the 3d cursor and “scale to cursor 0” method.
Thank you all! Now I’ll go post some of my works!

A
Do you know about shift+RMB to list-select among overlapping objects under the mouse cursor? It’s not the same thing, but might be handy in some situations where you’d want a general selection list.
I guess the Outliner is supposed to be your general selection list, but a popup would be pretty nice in some situations.

B
You can use Snap to align objects that way, if I understand you correctly. Select Face snap, and enable Closest. That will make the closest current face of grabbed object A slide across the under-cursor faces of object B. It’s hard to explain and kinda wonky, but should be usable in some situations.
(This is best used by ctrl-toggling snap during a G-move, since you’ll need some non-snapped tweaking)

…also hello and welcome and such

encn thanks for the welcome! I had totaly forgoten abou the “A” It IS usefull. Also the outliner never occured to me!

As for the “B” I use that for one month now and it greatly accelerated my work