new video tutorial, animating a walkcycle. part2- moveing around finished

I have created a video tutorial which goes over the process of animating a walkcycle with Ludwig.
It is not suitable for a complete beginner. you need to know the basic keyboard short cuts.
this is what you should achieve by folioing the tutorial

Part 1, animating a walkcycle
29 minute tutorial (133meg, oog/theora)
http://uploader.polorix.net//files/908/images/animating_a_walkcycle.7z

Part 2, moving around
24 minute tutorial (81meg, oog/theora/ blend file from part 1)
http://uploader.polorix.net//files/908/images/animating_a_walkcycle_P2.7z

to extract the tutorial you will need 7zip
the tutorials can be played using vlc

the Ludwig character can be downloaded here
http://jasonpierce.animadillo.com/resource/ludwig/ludwig.html

http://uploader.polorix.net//files/908/images/Screenshot.jpg

That’s great
I am looking for a tutorial like this since a while

downloading right now, will edit the post later if i feel like adding anything besides the: Thanks!! :wink:

was this tutorial halpfal? anything wrong with it?

Doesn’t seem to have any sound. hessiess, if you are going to rely on print to carry your message, you’re going to have to find some way to clean up your spelling.

I animate. I usually don’t dig tuts of animation or modeling, but however am interested on this one. Sorry, now in a trip, will try to download tomorrow to give some feedback, all that work deserves it. :slight_smile:

Your walk looks rather robotic, instead of bobbing the head a little, you just squashed and stretched it some, while that looks ok, there is a lot of movement that is missing. The torso doesn’t move at all, the fingers are quite wooden, and although it is a personal thing, his feet seem to be lifted too high, we generally only lift our feet high during a sneak or stalk. His pace is very smooth too, and people generally don’t move so smoothly. Also I would have tried to extend the foot a little past its contact point and then let it fall a little back to give him more weight. I’m not saying it’s bad, just that there are some more tweaks needed. I know I’m no master animator because of my stupid hands, but I do have pretty good eyes, and I’m working on that other part, a lot of that comes from traditional drawing and animation. I think you would see your animation improve greatly by reading through Richard Williams “Animator’s Survival Kit” and a lot of the links in the Sticky in the animation support forum, there is a lot of information, it generally agrees with each other and is by the masters, so you know it’s good.

I’m downloading the tutorial now to see some of your techniques, and I will try to give some more help, I’m not sure which features you’ve used yet, but I know that Blender probably has some tools that you haven’t thought about yet that would greatly enhance your animation. Thanks for putting this together, it’s a good resource, but I think it could be better.

**EDIT–I think your link has an extra / in it.

**EDIT2-I’ll just put what I had in a new post.

thank you for the advice

**EDIT–I think your link has an extra / in it.
a few of the links had a / at the end, i have removed it, they all work here

if you are going to rely on print to carry your message, you’re going to have to find some way to clean up your spelling.
i don’t have a usable mic, i as writing as i was duing things, beeing dyslexic it would be imposable to improve the spelling.

I watched the tutorial, you did have some head and torso movement in it, it just didn’t translate into the animation you posted, so I withdraw that critique, and you did move the fingers a bit, so that helps, but the feet I think are still a little too high. I think if you used the ghost options and paths in the armature visualization panel you’d help out your curve and flow greatly, not just on the feet, but on all the bones motions so you can get it more organic and less robotic. You may also want to get into the IPO window to help it along with the easing or slowing in and out. It really is a great demonstration of the NLA though and how to copy/paste actions or poses to create animation though, that part is extremely helpful. Then again, those things I mentioned may make it a little too advanced, and quite a bit longer.

It is not impossible for you to find a way to get the spelling correct. It is true that the method you currently use doesn’t work.

I’m not saying that it’s going to be easy, you have a disability, and that’s not going to go away. But having a disability means that you will have to make extra efforts, or discover creative methods, to get done what non-dyslexic people do easily with routine methods.

As long as you think you can’t, you blind yourself to possible ways in which you can, which is a much greater disability than dyslexia and is self inflicted.

thanks! I am about to watch it.