New video tutorial - Subsurfs (Mirrors Added)

I have a new video tutorial up - Its on Subdivision Surfaces. If 1 = newbie and 5 = expert I would rate this tutorial suitable for people in the 1.5-2.0 range. It also explains the new edge crease functions in Blender version 2.34. Its a big file 75Mb and approx. 30min. in length (I’ll try to keep it shorter next time).

It is on this site:
http://www.ibiblio.org/bvidtute/

Mirror thanks to Chimera (“save as” the following link)
http://www.blender3d.ch/pluschke/subdiv.avi

Mirror thanks to MacBlender (do a “save as”)
http://futurex-graphics.com/Blender/Video/subdiv.avi

Enjoy,
GreyBeard

The only thing I can open it in is virtualdub quicktime and Media player both have errors and shut down. When I open it in virtualdub there are several errors and it comes up with a picture of the opening screen. The animation lasts for 3 seconds and in that the mouse moves to the top of the screen.

I’ll tell you my thoughts on your video tut, when it’s downloaded - in 4 hrs! :o

The only thing I can open it in is virtualdub quicktime and Media player both have errors and shut down. When I open it in virtualdub there are several errors and it comes up with a picture of the opening screen. The animation lasts for 3 seconds and in that the mouse moves to the top of the screen.

I created it the same way I created the first one :frowning: and it plays here under both linux and windows. I will download it again and recheck the file perhaps it was corrupted during the upload. Sorry for the inconvenience.

GreyBeard

i downloaded a little part (5 minutes) and works fine
soo sloww @download :frowning:

It’s working know… downloading :o

I am getting 34kbits/sec when I am using a 1.5 Mbit/second DSL line. The bandwith is terrible for a video file

Well it just lowered to 1.31kbit/sec. No one is going to wait 20 hours to download a video file!!!

It looks like we may have saturated them a little – over 40 people were downloading!! I’m getting about 12 kBit/sec now – still about 1.5 hours to download.

GreyBeard

70% :smiley: i have two 10 mbits connection but natted --> no hosting possible :frowning:
i can create a torrent maybe

Hey GreyBeard, if you want i’ll mirror your downloads, i seem to be offering hosting for the Animation constest aswell.

MacBlender

same… GreyBeard the ftp account I gave you is still available… just upload it. np for me

same… GreyBeard the ftp account I gave you is still available… just upload it. np for me

Thank you, I believe I’ll take you up on that.

** uploading now :slight_smile: **

GreyBeard

K i sent you the FTP information just drop the files in that directory.

MacBlender

from my experience… I say to you GreyBeard:
get as many mirrors as you can!

+even think about a script that uploads your file to all the mirrors. this could even be done from your main server, which would be more indepentend… + faster.

MacBlender,

Thank you, I will upload to you as soon as I finish uploading to chimera. My upload speeds (cable) are horrible (about a third of my download speed).

Thanks again,
GreyBeard

Yeah i know how that is, got cable at home myself.

MacBlender

Hi GreyBeard,

Have you tried using CamStuidio v. 2.0? It can record and save to swf format which lowers the megs for the video. You can also load an avi into it and save it out to swf. It would make downloading easier. However it is only for windows as far as I know. Also Rendersoft sold out to Macromedia but their last version 2.0 was open source. If you would like to try it, I found a site which you can get the 2.0 version here: http://ettc.valdosta.edu/Technical/freebies.htm

gaiamuse

ehm seems linux not windows :expressionless:

Don’t try and make the videos shorter as you suggested. This is exactly what I needed when I was first starting out. Who cares if it may take some people (including me) hours of downloading. It will save days if the material is good enough (I really like the LSCM video). Thank you for these videos, they are a great supplement to the blender learning community.

Kaosone says

ehm seems linux not windows

I don’t understand - the video won’t play under windows or you feel the tutorial was for linux. I have downloaded the file on a windows machine and it worked fine here. If you are referring to the latter question the windows version and the linux version have no differences in what I showed (I do use the rounded theme however). If you wouldn’t mind clarifying.

GreyBeard.