New Wings3D version

Uhhmmm surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet, but there is a new official Wings3D version out.

Some nice new features and quite a few changes under the hood. Nothing spectacular though.

www.wings3d.com

Good to see that wings is still being developed, I tried latest version quickly, but did not notice anything new, gotta check it out tomorrow with these notes.

http://p209.ezboard.com/Wings-09900-has-been-released/fnendowingsmiraifrm1.showMessage?topicID=2931.topic

thanks!
I really like wings, I turn all my friends on to it, when they are first learning modeling.
THe interface takes a lot of confussion out of modeling… just choose your select mode, make a selection, rightclick, and all of your options are right there!

It really makes it easy for a new user to learn all the 3D terminology.

I wonder how Wings 3D will stack up against the Bmesh system briggs is developing for Blender? Will anyone use Wings anymore when that occurs?

It’s not just a matter of NGons… for some, the workflow in Wings is vastly superior to Blender. Also, to my knowledge there is still some stuff lacking in Blender that is there in Wings like magnets.

… and Wings has a much better bevel tool…

The Bmesh is just a structure that makes things easier/possible to implement. It will all depend of how the devs take advantage of what it offers afterward. I’d bet quite a sum that an excellent bevel tool will won’t be far behind.

J.

[quote]Originally Posted by Cyborg Dragon http://blenderartists.org/forum/images/ba-buttons/viewpost.gif
I wonder how Wings 3D will stack up against the Bmesh system briggs is developing for Blender? Will anyone use Wings anymore when that occurs?
It’s not just a matter of NGons… for some, the workflow in Wings is vastly superior to Blender. Also, to my knowledge there is still some stuff lacking in Blender that is there in Wings like magnets.[/quote]Wings is way way more than bevels or that kind of connect(and is also on how the UI works). Is amazing to see those features in Blender, but those are features of elder Wings versions…Since then it added zillions of extra power. Wings just do that: modelling, doesn’t aspire to be an animation or render tool, and has a workflow I’ve yet to see bet by any tool(and yep, I include here Sillo and all specialized at modelling task new comers, I tested many times deeply(for job reasons I am skilled on many packages, so is seen fast several things…)). I am seing lots of plugins for Max, and other high end tools, trying to mimmick the Wings/Mirai style of modelling, but they don’t reach there, imo. Also as someone already posted, is about the kind of workflow. Amazingly fast, direct and powerful (with some training). Still all this is only seen by those who got really deep into it. I used it during years in my jobs, and usually the other guys where quite slower than me, specially in organic models. Is not something am inventing, they used to just say it while leaving all modelling to me, and was the vending machine for 3d models, in certain company.(of course, no other Winger around there…)
That said, imo is gonna rock to have some of that in Blender…

Yea,
Briggs really likes Wings 3d’s tools. He is a great guys to talk to about Zbrush too on the IRC channel.

I have a feeling that people will not really flock to blender from Wings 3D, it is a completely different interface.

I abandoned wings a few years ago for blender because I wanted to model in the same application I was animating in, to save time from importing and exporting.

Now blender has so many of the tools that wings does (mainly thanks to Briggs), plus so many other nice tools, that wings does not have, like Texture baking, and some AWESOME UV mapping tools…

I just reccomend wings 3D to the new people to 3D… it makes it very hard for them to make mistakes.
It also allows them to learn the 3d terminology by just rightclicking and playing with the functions.

The beauty for the newbie of wings 3d, is that when they are in face mode, they are only presented with the tools that are associated with the face… same with edge and vertex manipulation.

Wings 3D also has Dynamic hotkeys (just get to the menu item you need, press INS while your mouse is over the desired menu item, and then press the desired hotkeys you wish to assign.)

I can make my wings 3d act exactly like blender hotkeys if I want :smiley:

I have a feeling that people will not really flock to blender from Wings 3D, it is a completely different interface.

certainly not, at least the seasone old modelers like me… :wink: Still, is for me other ball game, maaany ppl us wings only for modeling, and then animate and render in that sweet thing, Messiah, Blender, or Maya. yep, even Maya, and some old pros at cg talk even. I myself was able to convice the bosses in old latest companies: success.(then, not as a newbie tool, but as pro modeler, not for amount of features, but speed)

I abandoned wings a few years ago for blender because I wanted to model in the same application I was animating in, to save time from importing and exporting.

I see your point. I am so used to i/o that…well, I did switched to wings from other modelers once I was very experienced on others, not as newbie trying to learn; my reason for staying was i could really see the advantage on speed for my character modeling. Ie, for drafting fast game levels, I’d rather prefer Sketchup than Wings or Blender…Is so freaking fast.Still, my workflow there is export to blender and continue there, or in metasequoia or whatever. I do export only some times, at occassional points, rarely needda go back for made that trip many times :wink:

Now blender has so many of the tools that wings does (mainly thanks to Briggs), plus so many other nice tools, that wings does not have, like Texture baking, and some AWESOME UV mapping tools…

True, they’re getting nice. Still, I never even considered uv mapping in Wings, only 'cause…well, I have since eons a cheap tool , called Ultimate Unwrap, whose power in that area, I yet to see beat. Lol, was working in some place and the ppl shouted at me because I prefered that one to Max UVW edit window… With UU I just do whatever very fast…See, my workflow goes from Wings/metasequoia, UU, DPaint3D (purchased also looong ago) + Gimp or Photoshop, Blender for animation. Knowing the formats (and in these years every freaking possible issue) is not more prob than opening a .doc file…

I just reccomend wings 3D to the new people to 3D… it makes it very hard for them to make mistakes.

Well, I recommend to specially to character modeler pros…heck, it’s given me many plates of food :wink:

While I agree in many of what you say…I’d say is easier to make errors in Wings…yep, is a matter of the Winged edge internal structure. You cannot make holes (till you export the obj using hole material, with smooth view, you can model seing the holes tho) , you need to be very careful on making bad geometry. Is frequent to make badly connected geomtery and stuff, specially if not very used to edgeloops, subdiv modelling, ngons.

It also allows them to learn the 3d terminology by just rightclicking and playing with the functions.

For me right clicking is fast. besides, the two or 3 clicks when advanced using, is almost in all cases available in an advanced mode way, that combining 2 or 3 LMB, RMB, MMB clicks, do like a macro almost, very advanced modeling operations, way longer to do in whatever othe rmodeler. Could write a book about that deep knwoledge, maily as you dig all needed a tool when your plate of food depends on how many seconds you are faster than the latest half an hour… Sepcially speeds up things when you what I always do: let RMB to operations I dont use much, and interactively setup those I use more. This changes sometimes, depending on project or just the way I feel. So, if I am finding I use a lot flatten to x respect a choosen vertex target, I hit INS key in that exact option or RMB menu (or deeper menu if so) , an tap whatever the key.I can have different for example free move depending if am at face, vertex , edge or Body modes, or have the same (whcih I do to the most common.)All this is good for someone like me who can only remember a limited number of keys at a time, lol…
That and ability to keep doing an operation while I am still rotating or panning or zooming, etc, and certain more complex operations once there, allows you model in a very special way…

The beauty for the newbie of wings 3d, is that when they are in face mode, they are only presented with the tools that are associated with the face… same with edge and vertex manipulation.

That’s a beauty for more ppl, am no newbie and find it clean and fast. is like when I am fixing sth I like to have the table clean and ordered. A matter of personal choice, mainly :wink: (er…as all this chat :wink: )

I have done close to Zbrush level of detail models, using just wings with subdiv method. And pretty comfortable. In a quite controlled way then, I mean, still you could animate that with no killing a machine (provided you let the render do the final subdiv! ) That’s no newbie stuff :wink:

Anyway…there are many artists like me. Is not a majority, but many ppl enjoy using specialized tools and one for integration. recently we’ve seen nice results of a user using Animation Master and Blender to output quite nice things. And there are armies of ppl using combos like: Silo, Zbrush, Messiah. (extremely nice set of tools, BTW, but so that you see my point, is noty about bledner comparison: i wouldnt model with Silo , Hexagon, or even Modo if I had em at home, maybe just for occassional projects where some modelling feature would shine specially . That means neither bad words to those, as didnt to blender: I tested the demos, and still see way too many advantages in Wings in terms of inmediate modelling, flexibility etc. Still, I’d LOVE to animate in messiah, to use some stuff of silo, probably for architectural modeling, and surely stop using my dp3d to paint only in Modo. But that in a perfect world. The nicest thing is …To an extent, Blender allows to make you a lot of all that, allowing a full project with it. Is very nice, but i want the top power in every task, and with the tools I have I get it. And is not trashing any tool…But using …well, a work pipeline, so common in every company. )

With this new release I think I’ll get back to using Wings again. I miss it :slight_smile:
I’ve been using Silo for my primary modeler for some time but I have found issues with it lately. Since I’m just a hobbiest and not a pro I can be pretty flexible in what I want to use :stuck_out_tongue:

lol! I uninstalled Silo years ago. The only thing I could see that was worth while was the re-topography tools.Now I just use the retopo in Blender, and for high poly stuff, I just do it in Zbrush.

Amazing too, lots of pros have flocked to silo like a bunch of mindless lemmings. Wings and blender are MUCH more easy from me to model in.
I even tried to make my own interface for Silo… It was a clone of wings 3d, with the blender hotkeys LOL!

Sorry for the SILO rant, but in the Zbrush forums I am really getting sick of hearing how advanced and how cool it is. The only original Idea’s I know about are the ability to build your own user interface, and the re-topo tools.Everything else is cloned from other applications.The blender Mirror tools totally kick silos butt… the Wings mirror modeling is pretty cool too :smiley:

Before blender got it sculpting tools I would use wings just for the “Tweak mode”, man that was way before its time! At one time I liked wings for UV mapping my model… it would take the material colors, and paint them automaticaly to the UV map, to make it ultra easy to decipher… They removed that feature for some reason though :frowning:

I also own Deep paint 3d and their Ultimate unwrap , those applications where way before their time :slight_smile:

lol! I uninstalled Silo years ago. The only thing I could see that was worth while was the re-topography tools.Now I just use the retopo in Blender,
I admit havent give it yet a serious try. Was amazed though in the improves of Sculpt.Last time I checked I saw I could do high end detail with it without much probs.

and for high poly stuff, I just do it in Zbrush.
I stopped using it after the 1.55b update which I had rights for. I know is really good, but personally prefer other type of UI and workflow… I guess if I had the rights for it, I’d certainly use 3.1. Looks outstanding now.

Amazing too, lots of pros have flocked to silo like a bunch of mindless lemmings. Wings and blender are MUCH more easy from me to model in.

Well, the fact is…In wings forums a lot of people intially did talk a lot about it, and many ppl jumped into it. Thinking it well, I cannot say is better or worse, indeed, hard to say that for any tool, but I know I certainly prefer Wings ui and workflow. There are faster ways , and the general phylosophy of handling the whole thing is what keeps me there… Once Blender got the features I was missing from Max, at least when it did got em in its basic functionality , I discovered I could do any project with that combo. (always with some external tools, by those times, orb for normal maps, etc)

I even tried to make my own interface for Silo… It was a clone of wings 3d, with the blender hotkeys LOL!
hehe

Sorry for the SILO rant, but in the Zbrush forums I am really getting sick of hearing how advanced and how cool it is. The only original
In my opinion, is same reason why there have always been Maxers and Maya people, point modelers and box modelers…Simply, maybe ppl brains fit better each in a way of work. To me, Silo was more in Maya style of Ui, I mean, very far from that, but somehow the style of UI and handling was essentially different to Wings’s. So never saw the replace, but more of a saver tool for ppl looking for a low cost modeler with an special UI feel.And they found a solid group for that. For me it’d have to change a lot, besides, wings has given me too much joy :wink: (…and I really have fun modeling there)

Idea’s I know about are the ability to build your own user interface, and the re-topo tools.Everything else is cloned from other applications.The blender Mirror tools totally kick silos butt… the Wings mirror modeling is pretty cool too :smiley:
Virtual mirror :slight_smile: I was pretty “heavy” asking for it as I had enjoied it at Metasequoia LE, a wonderful japanese modeling tool…and also enjoied there the tweak mode (similar workflow that max edit poly, or edit mesh, tho in meta you are in all modes at a time, and you can work only in one or several, previewing em or not, witha touch of a toolbar button, but is much mor ethan that) , for which I also cried for, as well as a magnet like B key and its radius, in metasequoia. After some time they added them, for some reason I don’t know, and man, they did it specially better the virtual mirror, which to me is really time saver for how it works. I remember using scripts for this in max long ago, and the weld matters totally unneeded really is an advantage.

Before blender got it sculpting tools I would use wings just for the “Tweak mode”, man that was way before its time! At one time I liked
Well, there was already in Metasequoia, was where I got the inspiration to cry for it :wink: , But I discovered at some point, Meta is strongly inspired, imo, in Lightwave, which has magnet since eons, it seems.That tool looks like has been a very featured modeler since always.

wings for UV mapping my model… it would take the material colors, and paint them automaticaly to the UV map, to make it ultra easy to decipher… They removed that feature for some reason though :frowning:
I use wings fast selection system to also build the materials I know will be my uv islands, and it all depends is is for games or not, and how much pixels to I wanna reuse with mirrors in the texture, etc…

Later I import into Ultimate Unwrap.It detects the materials or groups, and so I uv map there much faster.

I also own Deep paint 3d and their Ultimate unwrap , those applications where way before their time
Er…perhaps there’s a confussion here. Deep Paint 3D had before 2.0 (which I own) a nice thing called Texture Weapons, actually a module that integrated inside the DP3d, as an UV mapping solution for both automatic and manual methods. yep, way in the top of that in its time. Later, they made an imho not necesarily best move, separating into an apart tool called Deep Uv. And right now am not very sure on the continuity of Deep Paint 3d, havent checked.

But Ultimate Unwrap (I didnt know it was bundled with DP3d, Brad is quite independent in his business…I sugested him long ago, in Lithunwrap times(many years ago), when was a free tool, some features, later also once it became comercial) is a different animal, is my fav uv mapper, and the one I always use unless forced by a company to use Max uvs. Is at www.unwrap3d.com . While I am big fan of Unwrap, didnt want to make PR of it in this specific conversation, but I don’t know if you meant that one, that’s why I put the link :slight_smile: