Newb- -- Mathematical Graphing Advice

Hi,
The reason I want to get into blender is to demonstrate various mathematical concepts (Trancendental Numbers, Taylor Expansions, Eigen Vectors, Regression/ANOVA, Numerical Analysis, Differential Equations, etc) in 2/3D animations for educational purposes.

Brand new blender user. I’ve watch/followed intro tutorials on the very basics (models/materials/rendering/animation/etc) and was hoping to ‘cut to the chase’… as a majority of the concepts I’m running into are for much more complex scenes/games/etc.

The main things I feel I should know are the basics on displaying/modifying mathematical formulas (Greek Letters, Algebraic Operations, etc), plotting the movement of functions/points/planes/fields/etc. I have an intermediate programming background and feel I probably need to get familiar with Python Scripting to accomplish the technical aspects behind the animations. (Side question: is there anyway to capture the Python code for actions performed by mouse to help learn syntax/functions/objects?)

Anyway… I’m not averse to doing the hard work and actually learning the software, I was just wondering if there are key concepts I can google to learn what specifically I need to accomplish my goals.

Thank you for any help!

-Brock

Moved this to the Python support forum where you’re likely to get better answers. Now… pertaining specifically to this:

From the Python Console, type this:

bpy.app.debug = True

This will spit out [nearly] every event to the Info editor and terminal window (if you happen to have one open). Be warned, though, it’s a veritable onslaught of data that can be kicked out when you enable this.

There is ‘numpy’ working in Blender 2.59 … with a lot of tools in it (search for what numpy can do!)