Newb qwestion

Im trying to model my house in blender. I was using cubes and just moving to the lengths that are needed but, when I add window doors and extra stuff by placing a cube and doing the differences it make alot more faces then I want. There was alot of triangles from small to large all over. So instead of doing the cube method I just inserted a vertice and extruded from there. There was some instansance where the vertices or edges overlap each other. Would this be alright if there are all right on top of each other or would this cause problems in the future? I also noticed some areas where I created some face not to be the normal gray color a little tinted. Please let me know If I am doing this right and if there is a better way?

I cant answer all your questions but two instances of vertices in the same location can cause problems later … However Blender is kinda designed this way and the developers have added a function called ‘Remove Doubles’ which as the name suggests removes all instance of multiple vertices that occupy the same location. With your model selected and in Edit mode simply click W and then ‘Remove Doubles’. Simples :smiley: Hope this has been of help and that others can help you with the rest !

You are using the wrong method to make holes in cubes. The difference system will make a lot of triangles.

How you do it is to use the knife tool or the edgeloop tool, (K or Ctrl-R in 2.49) to cut through the cube to form each side of the window, from top to bottom. Then do the same from left to right to make the top and bottom of the window. Now delete the faces in the hole where the window needs to be, and fill in the edges of the hole.

If you start with a plane, rather than a cube, it is even easier: Cut the plane top to bottom twice with Ctrl-R. Cut it left to right twice with Ctrl-R. In each case, make sure you have the cuts where you want them, or you will have to select the edge and drag it up /down etc. Now remove the face where the window or door goes, and select the whole of the rest of the plane and extrude it to give it thickness.

HTH.

Matt

now what if one wall has 3 doors and a window which are not all the same size? I was kinda doing what you said matt but, when I got to the diferent sized object it made it real difficult to deal with everything.

P.S. if any one has a good way for stuff like this can you post pics on how you did it.

I you need holes of different size, just make all the loop cuts before deleting the faces to make the holes. You don’t have to add all the cuts before deleting faces, but I prefer to do it this way.

There are many ways to handle it. Just think clearly about what you want and break down the work into logical steps.
On a very simplistic example you can have a logical method with loop cuts but there are then ways you can simplify your mesh while still maintaining quad faces.
Simple example

Thats what im doing by using the vertices and extruding them how messed up in the future would it be if I keep doing this. (lines are crossing some other lines but there are flat agaisnt each other)

You should definitely avoid having lines that cross each other. If you want more specific help, post an image of what you are trying to do, or what you have done.

here it is

Attachments

house.blend (230 KB)

OK, several important points:

1. break the thing down into seperate parts. You don’t need to model the walls and the balustrade in the same object. Do that and you are asking for trouble. You will have difficulty applying materials, and you have to keep hiding parts of the mesh to allow you to model other parts.

2. make each part the thickness you need in a single pass, rather than modelling the inside of a wall, then the outside. I suggest in a case like this, either model the outer walls, then the inner ones as separate objects, or if you must model all the walls in a pass, start with the floor as a plane. Cut it up to make lines where you want walls, then delete the faces you don’t want, and extrude the whole thing upwards. Now cut the mesh vertically and horizontally to make the outlines of the windows and doors, and then delete and fill the edges of these.

3. I know people say to minimise the face count, but don’t make your faces anything but rectangular on this type of model. If that pushes the face count up, so be it. If you have warped mesh sections, it makes UV mapping harder should you want to apply a pattern or image to the walls.

Matt