newbie - can't work out how to get textures

Hello,

I just made a simple ‘roman column’ model that I’m happy with, but I can’t work out how to apply a marble texture.

I downloaded a few good ones from cgtextures.com but can’t get them to work properly in blender

The UV / image window is open, and I loaded the texture. I tried doing a cylindrical unwrap (‘u’ -> ‘Cylinder from View’) and scaling it to fit the UV window, but it’s made a mess of it. Some faces seem to have gone invisible with the texture (when they seemed fine with no textures).

I’ve attached my blend file so you can play around with it.

This is the first model I’ve made in ages, but to be honest I always struggled finding a simple way to add a texture in Blender. It seems like you need a few hundred clicks around the interface to add a texture, associate it with a material, associate the material with a model etc :S

Attachments

columntex.blend (204 KB)

you haven’t packed the texture into the file

but I think I know what your problem is

firstly the invisible face are because the normals are inside out - ctrl n > recalculate normals outside

then you need to add a material to the object - and add the texture to the material or to the object

(1) to add the texture to the object - unwrap it like you have already done then press “texface” in the material buttons

or
(2) to add the texture to the material -
so add new material
then add texture
load image
uv map it
select “map to” UV
and set it to effect the “col”

the second way is better

make sense?
here are some tutes
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D/Tutorial_Links_List#Texture_Mapping

thanks for the help.

Now the problem is with the lighting / shading.

I’ve managed to get it to render, but the shading is flat - the individual faces are flat shaded and distinguishable (especially at the curves on the bottom / top of the column). How can I make it less blocky?

Also, the lighting has washed out the texture (except the horizontal lines). How can I control how the faces react to light (so I can turn it down and see the marble again)?

Attachments

sounds like you need to use the 3 point lighting technique

take a look at this

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Tutorials/Lighting/Three_Point_Light

I’d rather not think too much about the lighting yet - I’m modelling this for part of a larger scene (in the mood to make the Acropolis or another building with the feel of a Greek Temple), so would rather if the textures / materials were responsible for the look rather than the lighting.

I found a smooth button in the edit window which cleaned up the look of the blocky curves (edit -> mesh box -> Auto smooth). I still can’t work out a way to balance between the effect of the textures and effect of the light (so the model reacts more to the texture). I’m tempted to just fiddle with the contrast levels of the texture in Photoshop - high contrast texture should have the same effect as what I want, but might look a bit silly.

your textures will always be affected by the lighting
(eg - no lights = 100% black, or pure white material in low light will look grey not white)

Unless you set the materials to be shadeless
but then it isn’t effected by the lights at all

there is always the chicken or the egg argument about lighting and materials
but most of the time you should get your materials(including textures) looking the way you want
and then light the scene afterwards