Newbie dumb question

New to blender and can’t figure out how to close a window in the interface. Can’t find a “close” button anywhere.
Running on windows 7.
Any help appreciated.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Basics & Interface”

When you have two subwindows you want to join, either click and drag the striped corner over the edge they’re sharing, or right click on that edge, choose “join area” from the menu it opens, and then point to the direction you want them joined. Note that those two subwindows have to share an edge that is the same size.

I suggest you check the getting started tutorials from the top menu where it says “New to Blender?”.

thanks, and I have been thru the tutorials several times and still can’t find out how to close a window (or frame)

Sorry, but I don’t get what your problem is. Could you post a screenshot of that “windows” you want to close?

Blender’s UI is (mostly) following the “non-modal, non-overlapping” paradigm which means that there shouldn’t be any (popup or overlapping) windows except Blender’s main application window…?

Stop looking for a close window button, there isn’t one. You can resize a window by hovering over an edge until you see the two headed arrow cursor, then dragging the edge, and you can resize a window down to nothing, which effectively closes it (although its header will still be there). You can join two windows, which completely removes one of the windows, as JA12 pointed out.

You can also put the window you are interested in into full-screen mode, using Shift+Spacebar (Shift+Spacebar also toggle out of full-screen mode) which is a quick way to get the entire screen area available for modeling, or whatever else you want to focus on.

The only exception I’m aware of is the pop up window for User Preferences, which, on Windows systems, has the standard minimize, maximize, close icons in the upper right corner. You can also specify renders be done in a pop-up window, which works the same way.

Now, the 3D viewport has a couple of optional tool shelves or panel containers, which look like windows but ain’t, and you toggle these on and off with ‘n’ for the right hand shelf (commonly called the properties panel) or with a ‘t’ for the left hand shelf (aka the tool shelf).

It really is a good idea to do some beginning blender tutorials. This is not an intuitive program you can pick up just by playing with it.

thanks for responding. I mean the panels inside the blender interface. Someone showed me how to join panels using the right-click on the edge of the panel trick to use the join or split menu. Apparently you can’t just close a panel but join them until you have the desired layout.
Hope I’m explaining this correctly. I think I got it now, thanks again.

Got it. Thanks for the help.

grab these corner lines to create and close windows

Part of this is also a terminology thing. Here’s the basic heirarchy:

• Window (the thing that your operating system draws borders around)
  • Area (the splittable/joinable spaces that you’ve been calling windows)
  • Editor (any area can hold any editor, but only one - e.g. the 3D View is an editor… so is the Outliner)
  • Region (these show up on the left and right sides of some editors - example: the Tool Shelf in the 3D View is a region… so are the headers in any editor)
  • Panel (these can be in the editor itself - such as the Properties editor - or they can be nested inside of a region - such as the Object tools in the 3D View’s Tool Shelf)

thanks for the help Fweeb - you’ve cleared it up for me. (now nothing can stop me hahahahh)

So,

The entire Blender interface is the ‘Window.’

Areas and Editors are basically synonymous.

All Editors have a header region, which cannot be resized away, unless the editor is removed by joining it to another editor’s area. Some headers have tabs, which change the type of data that can be edited in that editor.

Some editors have left and right regions, and some of those regions can be toggled on and off. The toggleable regions are sometimes referred to as shelves.

Panels, which contain numeric, toggle, menu or slider input for specific data blocks, can be found either in some editors or on shelves.

Thanks for the help Orinoco. You and the other folks have been very helpful and got me back on track for my goal of world domination LOL.
thanks!