Newbie edit mode question

Hello I have a ridiculus (I think) and frustrating problem. I must say that I’ve searched throught google/knowledge base faq and this forum and didnt find an asware to this very basic question.

Blender FAQ 36 question 7: How To Edit a Mesh, says:
“To edit a mesh, select the mesh and press TAB. That will put you in edit mode.”
Simple and clear.

But after I have edited a mesh and added another to the scene I can’t no more edit the first, only the second. If I select the first mesh and press TAB nothing happens, and also the mode menu shows only object mode, no UV mode nor EDIT mode nor anyother.
It seems like I can edit-mode only the last objec inserted in the scene.
This happens in win32 Blender 2.37 and 2.36 as well I don’t have tried 2.37a yet.
Is this a known issue? Any help?
Thanks in advance.
Michele

Ooops… Strange problem. I never had anything like this in 2.36, 2.37 or 2.37a. Maybe you inserted your second object while still in edit mode? This should cause both meshes make a single object, as the docs say. :o

I’ve updated an image showing what happens and the .blend file used (even the same happens with cubes).
http://www.michelebosi.it/blender.png
http://www.michelebosi.it/tower01.blend

Works fine here.
Blender 237a

I downloaded your blend-file, opened it and everything worked fine for me. I’m using 2.37a on windowsXP home SP2.
The strange thing in the image you posted is not only that there only is object mode to choose from, the editbuttons (‘link and materials’ and ‘mesh’) aren’t visible either.
It might be that it has something to do with your system (videocard?, drivers?).
Perhaps somebody else has a suggestion?

Could you please try the same with 2.37/36 just to know if its my own fault? I’m inclined to think so.
You just add a cube A, enter edit mode, move some vertexes enter object mode add another cube B, select only this, enter edit mode, move some vertexes, enter object mode select first cube and tell what happens if you enter edit mode to edit A.
In my computer it enters edit mode, but edits always the last object (B) not the one selected.

ps: at the moment I’m at work so can’t try 2.37a.

May thanks however.

I just re-installed both 2.36 and 2.37 and tried your file. It works in both versions. I can add the cubes, move vertices, edit them, just anything I want. So it probably hasn’t got anything to do with the blender version.

You just add a cube A, enter edit mode, move some vertexes enter object mode add another cube B, select only this, enter edit mode, move some vertexes, enter object mode select first cube and tell what happens if you enter edit mode to edit A.

I just enter edit mode of mesh A (as it should work), not of B like your computer does.[/quote]