Newbie question about 2.81

Hi,

I’m a hobbyist interested in trying out 2.81 beta, but I want to be sure that my addons will work with it. Since I’m still relatively new, I’ve heard that some 2.79 addons didn’t play nicely with 2.80, but I never really had to worry about it because I never really used 2.79. I was wondering if the same sorts of troubles might creep up with the 2.80 to 2.81 move.

That’s really the only thing that keeps me from switching over. My work is… how to put it nicely… limited in complexity and somewhat childlike at this stage, and it’s not like I’m a Blender production artist, so trying out a beta would mostly be the same to me as using a release version. :slight_smile:

When you download each build of blender and unzip it, you can go into that new folder and inside the version directory (“2.80”, “2.81”, etc.) you can create a “config” folder and then that version of Blender will store all its config files relative to the location of the program file (…\myblenderversion\2.81\config\ etc.) rather than in a shared global location. This means you can have as many builds of each version of Blender as you like, and install add-ons separately in each one so you can try out any combination.

There have been some API changes between 2.80 and 2.81, but nothing like the changes between 2.79 and 2.80, so many 2.80 addons may work out of the box in 2.81, but it’s best to verify and check with their source to be sure.

2 Likes

Sounds good, thank you Zoot.